IGN Top 100 Games - No Keen mentioned :(

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

IGN Top 100 Games - No Keen mentioned :(

Post by DSL »

I was checking the Top 100 games list of 2007 on IGN
http://top100.ign.com/2007/ign_top_game_100.html
and they didn't mention anything about Keen in it... :dead

I think the later games 4/5/6 would deserve a place in the list really!
And perhaps the first Keen games aswell!

I think CK should be the PC counterpart to Mario since the games made impact on the platform gaming for the PC.

You agree?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Of course I agree, and if you ask me, Keen 1 should be #1! :garg It's stoopid that they have crap games like Quake on it, but no Keen! :furious As said, Keen should be there already because it really brought the platform gaming to PCs, and everyone knows Keens.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Chill out, it's a bit daft to get so invested in a game being on a top 100 list or not. Anyway, most "the top X Ys" lists are partly based on whatever's popular at the moment, at least with what recently released things they put on there. And I think Keen deserves a place in top games but it's not really important what people put on a list. You could just make your own list if you want.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Strange list I find very little of my liking there, exept for the Halflife games and Rayman II.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

If there was no Keen there would be no Doom, after all, it was id's first official game.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Lava89 wrote:If there was no Keen there would be no Doom, after all, it was id's first official game.
So, you're point being?
Aaaah, not the bees!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

The fact that games like Doom were on there, yet Keen wasn't was on there. Keen wasn't completely influential, but it helped other influential games get made (id went on from Keen and made Wolf3D, then Doom, then Quake, etc.). Even if it got an honorable mention or next runner up thing I think that would be enough recognition.

One time when I was playing a FPS online I asked people if they've ever played Commander Keen and they've never even heard of it. Yet if it wasn't for Keen they wouldn't even be playing FPS games, lol.

Might seem far fetched, but that's how I look at it.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

It's rubbish to say that without Keen there wouldn't have been any FPS. 3d games and shooters were made a long time before there was any iD.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

lol, ok first of all I agree...there were plenty first person type games before id...

But let me make my point more clear (I tend to exaggerate), I believe the FPS games we have today, were heavily *influenced* by Wolf3D, Doom, Quake and the like. So yes, we would have first person shooters, but the way they are today? I don't think so.

Sure it's practically an urban myth to think Wolf3D was the first FPS, but did Wolf3D and Doom define the First Person shooter genre as we know it? IMO, definitely.

Just to clear that up.

P.S. I never said ANYthing about 3D games coming from id...that would be like saying Mario 64 was the first 3D game :P
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I agree with Lava89 that Wolf3D and Doom are what made FPSes what they are today, and I agree with elecdude33 that it's really not so important that Keen isn't on this list.

Even though it should be. :P