Keen 6: Molly bug

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Keen 6: Molly bug

Post by szemi »

Well, i start it:
So i go to the Bloog Control Center. Then,where Molly is,she move away,because she just stand at that level,but for me she move away. I link a picture about her:

Do u see? Molly always go to here.

I want advice did i do something wrong or not. Or does anybody know this bug?
Yeah, piece of cake!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think I've seen it before. No idea how it happens.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

So you see it. And is it a bug otherwise or a game error?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This is a well known bug, and I believe it was fixed in a later version. Interesting it hasn't been added to the list of Keen 6 bugs at the Keen Wiki yet.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I remember (probably wrong) that it actually appeared in the later versions, and was working right in the first version. :crazy As said, I'm probably wrong and should check the fact again...

Edit: Cool, never noticed the 'Stand-a-Switch'.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Guys,this bug is in Keen 6 v1.4,but as far as i know it isn't in v1.0.

I just created the topic about it,because i'm working on a Keen 6 mod and i don't know how to fix the Molly bug problem.
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

While I heard this bug is fixed in v1.5, it's better to use v1.4 for modding.
What you can do is either place the Molly sprite one tile above the floor, or play a bit with the sprite details.
I can tell that I've done the former and, while placed a bit higher on screen than most sprites, its location feels native.
It is true that certain sprites may appear to be behind Molly even though they're not (cause Molly is a bit above them). This is actually something that should be corrected where I've done that...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I guess I am way out of the loop on this one. Despite my years of Keen experience, actually, I have never seen this bug at all.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I have a cracked v1.0 of Keen 6, so I don't get it. Also, I discovered the Stand-a-Switch and put it on. :D
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

Commander Spleen wrote:Interesting it hasn't been added to the list of Keen 6 bugs at the Keen Wiki yet.
It's in the Keen Wiki, but at another place.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You can patch Molly's movement speeds in 1.4 so that she doesn't move anymore. Fixes the bug.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Aroenai
Vortininja

Post by Aroenai »

Levellass wrote:You can patch Molly's movement speeds in 1.4 so that she doesn't move anymore. Fixes the bug.
This is relevant to my interests, do want.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out now. She stays in one place and animates like she's supposed to :mortlol

What I did is modify the speed on the first frame to move up one tile (-80), then modify the animation loop to go back to frame 2 instead of 1. That way she still animates, but it's slightly different than normal if you're really paying attention. If you're going to make your own levels, it'd be better to just move her up one tile, but this would be good if you're just looking to fix the bug when you play normally.