Rules for the Grand Tournament

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

MortimerInBlack wrote:
JackDaniels wrote:The big taboo in practicing is because I would like to see how people are playing at this moment, not after loads of practice. In that case, the one with the most spare time will probably win. After 100 tries I guess we can all maken it with 0-1 death per Keen.
Ah, I see what you mean. In that case, I suggest a compromise. When you start a run, you must finish it, and no practicing while a run is in progress. But let people enter the run again and again, practicing inbetween, posting their total deaths for each run.

That way, you will see our current skills by looking at the first run. And you can always try again to do better. Maybe it will get crowded with all the tables for all the runs, but I think this satisfies what we both want.
Great idea Mortimer. I suggest we put it this way if everyone agress with it. Another idea to prevent all the tables we can just put the first and the best run in it. Of course you can put all your runs in the topic.

Now we have to discuss the Keens.

I don't mind playing them all (we can shut Keen 4 out if you want). So far I've noticed Keen 5 is the favorite one.

Can anyone set up a site for it. The excel document is rather lame. There should be a site where everyone can enter their results.
When is the stupid tournament?
Read the topic and you could have figured it out for yourself. Asking those questions makes you look...
stupid
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

It'll take a while for everyone if we're going through all Keens.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't think we're in hurry since we have the time for a tournament like this in the first place. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Let's make it all Keens, even Keen dreams. We can choose whatever one we want, and post our progress as it's accomplished. I suspect most of us will start with K5. And we should allow video to be submitted, but not required.

Ah, but the thing is, we might have to agree which secret levels, if any, to skip. Or you can just decide for yourself and post it however you did it.

I nominate one of the well-known Keen sites for hosting the tables, maybe dosclassics or keeniverse. If not, I could just get some free site and make tables, but the thing is most web hosting services make u use their little web-creator instead of allowing u to use straight HTML.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Keens 1-3 are way cooler than 4-6! I wanna start from them. :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Matonen's my man. I'll certainly play 1-3 before the rest, too.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

The thing is, with K1 - K3, there is no in-game save. You can only save on the level map. So in this tournament with these rules about a complete run, i think those games will play similar.

K4 - K6, however, allow in-game saving. Some of those levels are impossible on hard without saving in progress, so I think they are more challenging.

But on the other hand, I like K4-K6 a bit better than the original trilogy. :crazy
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I agree with MIB (:p) on this matter.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

As I said before concerning Keen 1, I'm sure some people will be surprised how challenging Keen 1-3 can be when you have to finish every single level. Normally I mostly play only the ones you have to play, so the extra ones are a relatively new experience for me.

But on the other hand, I like K1-K3 a bit better than the unoriginal trilogy :crazy
Image You crack me up little buddy!
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Well I have just finished a run on K5. Here's how it went:

Difficulty: normal

Ion Ventalation System: 0
Security Center: 0
Defense Tunnel Vlook: 0
Energy Flow Systems: 2 (Robo Reds...)
Defense Tunnel Teln: 1 (Robo Red...)
Brownian Motion Inducer: 2 (Ampton and Sparky, dumb mistakes)
Defense Tunnel Sorra: 1 (Volte Face)
Neutrino Burst Injector: 3 (Shockshunds...)
Defense Tunnel Buhr: 0
Regulation Control Center: 4 (ROBO REDS...)

Gravitational Damping Hub, traditional: 0
Gravitational Damping Hub, to secret level: 2 (that area with the red gem below the transporter)

Secret Level, traditional: 1 (dumb mistake getting that keg)
Secret Level, breaking fuse: 0

QED: 2 (bloody spindreds and wall shooters)

total without secret level: 15
total with secret level: 18

I fee like I did bad, so I will have another go at it later.

This brings up the issue of whether or not to do any secret levels, and whether or not you should complete them traditionally (as opposed to just breaking that fuse at the top).
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

MortimerInBlack wrote:The thing is, with K1 - K3, there is no in-game save. You can only save on the level map. So in this tournament with these rules about a complete run, i think those games will play similar.

K4 - K6, however, allow in-game saving. Some of those levels are impossible on hard without saving in progress, so I think they are more challenging.
So what you mean to say is that border village is harder than, say, The Caves of Oblivion? (going to the easy exit makes my point moot but you get what I mean. I just can't think of the name of that really hard level where you have to ride a platform and jump into a small hole in a house with 2 vortininjas waiting for you.)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

As some of you like the Vorticons and some of you like the Galaxy, I think we should play all Keens (except for Keen Dreams imo).
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

VikingBoyBilly wrote:So what you mean to say is that border village is harder than, say, The Caves of Oblivion? (going to the easy exit makes my point moot but you get what I mean. I just can't think of the name of that really hard level where you have to ride a platform and jump into a small hole in a house with 2 vortininjas waiting for you.)
Eh, no. (BTW that level is called The Barracks, and wasn't that pat easy, cuz u jump right into an Ankh?) What I mean to say is, on hard and even normal, the K4 - K6 levels seem to be designed such that you're supposed to save in the middle of the level, because there are really impossible spots (Isle of Fire on hard for example). One of the rules in this tournament is no in-level saving. K1 - K3 don't even have it, so there's no extra challenge with them. That's what I mean when I said K1 - K3 will play more regularly.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As some of you like the Vorticons and some of you like the Galaxy, I think we should play all Keens (except for Keen Dreams imo).
What's wrong with Dreams? I LOVE dreams!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:
What's wrong with Dreams? I LOVE dreams!
It definately has an air of retro computer games about it. You know, like the kind you get from playing Mecc and Broderbund games if that describes it properly.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass