Vortiville jump

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Vortiville jump

Post by Quillax »

In the first level of Keen 3, there is a jump that has me wondering. It's the one on the roof of the first building, where you go above five green things, collecting three chocolate cakes. It seems like it should be possible to make the full jump, but after several attempts, the furthest I can get lands me on the last green thing.

Has anyone managed to jump over the whole line of "Stranded Fish"? Or is it impossible to make it without God mode?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Vortiville jump

Post by Benvolio »

Haven't played Keen3 in a very long time now. But this looks like a Benvolio jump to me. You know, the ones everyone hates because of the millimetre-perfect precision required to execute.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I've never managed, but I've also never tried. :) I took one look at the fishes and the cakes and said "Moving on!"
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Lol I'm pretty sure half of all Vorticons mods have some trick jump like that. At least that's how it seems from the ones I've played.

Given the bugginess of the initial release of Keen 3, including such things as an unreachable yellow key, I'm not particularly confident that they would've checked if this is possible. So I'm not inclined to try very hard....

In case it is possible, the thing to do to get maximum distance would be to edge up right next to the cactus fish as close as you can get while still being able to safely jump straight over, then jump as high as you can without touching the top edge of the level, because that shoots you downwards and you won't get as far. I tried a few dozen times with God Mode and the furthest I got still had me skimming the last few pixels of the fish on the end. None of my attempts looked convincing enough to try it seriously without GOD.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Keen3 is loaded with bullcrappy jumps like that one. Attempting to get all the ammo at the exit in Caves of Oblivion while trying to avoid all of the stalactites and stalagmites is seriously not worth the hassle. And has anyone even tried to traverse the rooftops in Cape Canavorta?