How does F10 + Y work exactly?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

How does F10 + Y work exactly?

Post by RoboBlue »

I was just messing around in Keen 4 with the F10 + Y cheat, and as I remembered, it would sometimes clear up after a level was complete, and sometimes not. Once, in Chasm of Chills, Princess Lindsey cleared it up all by herself. Is there any consistency to how it works?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The F10 + Y cheat was *supposed* to work by overlaying graphics onto tiles. In Keen 5 this works, the graphics used are in the bottom row of sprite icons, the yellow and red lines.

In Keen 4 and 6 however a mistake was made, possibly they wanted to use sprites instead of tile graphics. Whatever the reason the subroutine calls tile graphics from chunks that don't exist, this is why they appear as blocks of gibberish in 4/6.

What *stops* the drawing is anything that disrupts the variables it uses for 'draw stuff' This includes exiting a level, saving/loading a game and some text messages. Since each tile property is 'scanned' independently, often only some tiles will be 'cleared' when this happens. (Try exiting a Y'd level and looking at the map.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Amazing. I've never noticed that before -- that it works properly in Keen 5. :crazy Thanks for the explanation LL.

Edit: Just for fun, here are two shots I took for FYCK:
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

It doesn't work properly in Keen5 1.0.
*checks some of the other versions*
Tom.K
Grunt
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

Post by Tom.K »

It can be F10 + Z (due to keyboard layout)... Anyway, in Keen 7, those spirites are replaced with black tiles and some tiles are replaced by tile of left side of holes (with poles)...
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

RoboBlue wrote:It doesn't work properly in Keen5 1.0.
*checks some of the other versions*
I was wondering why it never worked properly for me, even in 5... Looks like I grew up with 1.0. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I wonder if it'd be possible for us to make patches for 4/6 that fixed the problem.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

It works fne in Keen 5 for me...

I don't know what version I have - [edit] It's "modified date" is the 15th December 1991 if that helps.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

According to the wiki, the change occured in version 1.4.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A patch is unweildly, there are in fact graphics cached when a level loads for the F10 + Y cheat (It eats up about 256 bytes of level memory.), the tiles from $5A to $7A You can use other tiles if you have them present in your level, but Keen 4 has no real usable tiles. This works ok:

Code: Select all

%patch $72AB $CC $03
%patch $72CB $CC $03
%patch $732F $CC$03
%patch $7393 $CC $03
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.