Which Viking Lander?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

elecdude33 wrote:I may be remembering wrong, but I don't recall Keen knowing much about the Grand Intellect before landing on Vorticon VI. I don't think he would've known the location of the Mangling Machine...
Good point there, he basically knew nothing. He was going to the planet to find out about the mysterious Grand Intellect.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

It was the first one. Dictators always get crushed by the FIRST of two heavy objects from the stars: See "The Wizard of Oz" and "Return to Oz".

:3
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Not to pointlessly revive an old topic, but for what it's worth, I think the 2nd lander landed on the king cuz according to NASA, it landed on a 'rock' and was crooked from the uneven ground. It's on wikipedia, but I know I saw an official document of it somewhere and can try to find it.

Oh, and about Keen landing in the wrong spot every game, lol. I always asked the question, why doesnt he use his ship to fly over the city-obstacles instead.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I guess Keen could use his ship to fly over city obstacles instead, but think what would happen if you landed on an alien planet looking for something - would you have any idea where to land? You'd probably pick somewhere then wander around, through towns or whatever trying to find what you're looking for, exactly like Keen does. They just appear like obstacles to us because of the limitations of the gaming genre...
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Hmmm. Good point. Keens 1, 2, and 5 obviously do not suffer from the problem. With Mal's point, neither does 4 and 6. But I have to say, in Keen 3 that tall tower with the M on top looks sneakily suspicious--i would have landed there and investigated it first.

I'm proly gonna' overcome this problem by saying that there was much anti-aircraft artillery (makes sense that advanced beings would have this defence) forcing him to land at a certain place.

If you want a true challenge, explain to me how Keen walks all over Mars and makes it home b4 his parents do...
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

wormholes
(i used to be ME!)
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

MortimerInBlack wrote:Not to pointlessly revive an old topic, but for what it's worth, I think the 2nd lander landed on the king cuz according to NASA, it landed on a 'rock' and was crooked from the uneven ground.
That's a very valid reason to "revive" this thread. :)
This thread isn't that old (not dead), nor was everything said already (you just said something new), so I wouldn't even call it reviving.
Anyway, for some reason I didn't even think about the rock... although I think it was discussed before on this forum... well, the ezboard version.
Nothing about the two landers at the time I think.
Anyway, I agree, it was the second lander! :)
Retodon8
Sheep happens
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Yeah, I started a topic about it: KEEN IS REAL in Official Games. I thought it was the find of a lifetime.

Heh, and that's where I rediscover the official link, cuz with google i had no luck.

Close to the bottom it says, "Due to radar misidentification of a rock or highly reflective surface, the thrusters fired an extra time 0.4 seconds before landing, cracking the surface and raising dust. The lander settled down with one leg on a rock, tilted at 8.2 degrees."

Hmmm. Those Gargs must be a little shiny and reflective, wouldn't u say?
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

Yeah, it must've been your post I recalled.
I guess Garg teeth are big and shiny enough.

Oh, and since it must be the Viking 2 lander, I updated the Google Maps link.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Good place for Keen tourism... :D Other place is Billy's hometown.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Well it landed on the King of the Gargs didn't it? Obviously his crown would be pretty shiny and reflective...