Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

Vote for your 3 most favorite levels.

1.) Border Village
1
2%
2.) Slug Village
0
No votes
3.) The Perilous Pit
5
9%
4.) Cave of the Descendants
5
9%
5.) Chasm of Chills
2
4%
6.) Crystalus
7
13%
7.) Hillville
0
No votes
8.) Sand Yego
5
9%
9.) Miragia
11
20%
10.) Lifewater Oasis
2
4%
11.) Pyramid of the Moons
3
6%
12.) Pyramid of Shadows
3
6%
13.) Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients
2
4%
15.) Isle of Tar
8
15%
16.) Isle of Fire
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 54

User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: Orbit

Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by proYorp »

Which levels do you look forward to playing and why? Which ones continue to be enjoyable even after years of play?

Level images for reference: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Keen_4_Levels

To keep this poll easily comparable with the last one, I've again excluded Well of Wishes and Pyramid of the Forbidden. Sorry to anyone that might've voted for them, but PCKF still has a 15 option poll limit. :p
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
User avatar
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 13:56
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Nospike »

Is Crystalus receiving joke votes? :p

Top pick is definitely Miragia for its uniqueness and pretty aesthetics and overall extremely chill atmosphere. Next would be Lifewater Oasis. Somehow that level has always felt cheeky and fun in a way. The jumping challenges, the secret bonus items under the screen with the Mimrocks... always forget about the Mimrocks... And lastly Perilous Pit for me, I find the level very memorable and pretty cool especially for a vertical level, which in some other cases doesn't work this well. I tend to play it as soon as it's accessible.
User avatar
StupidBunny
format c:
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 19:19
Location: The Centre of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by StupidBunny »

Miragia was a no-brainer top pick for me. Like Nospike said, it’s a pretty, unique, interesting level. The idea of a vanishing crystal city in the desert is just so cool and is implemented so well here and I always just enjoy being in this level. I mentioned in the last thread about the secret extra life room at the lower right just feeling really cozy and peaceful somehow, but Nospike is right, the whole map just has a chill vibe. I also appreciate the pointless evil in placing a single drop under one of those thruster thingies: like it’s such a marginal item and such a huge risk in trying to get it, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve died trying to get that stupid drop…

The other two choices were a lot harder to make, for the same reasons as in the last thread: I like most of the levels so much. Plus honestly my second pick was probably gonna be the Pyramid of the Forbidden :'( Instead I went for the Isle of Tar second. Where Miragia I love for the chill and ethereal vibe, the Isle of Tar I think nails this atmosphere of tension and fear in a way few other levels do. I was terrified of this level as a kid, there’s so many drops into dark caves full of bubbling tar, which are blind enough to be intimidating while still offering a bit of clueing to not be totally dickish. I also like the winding layout, the claustrophobia contrasted with a couple cavernous areas and of course a few cool secret rooms (though the skypests can all piss off).

The third choice was so hard that my selection almost feels arbitrary, but I went with Sand Yego as another map I used to hate but now appreciate as a good challenge. I like that it’s the only actual “desert” map in the desert (the other two being oases of different kinds), and the fairly linear but also tight and meandering layout with lots of nasty traps and surprises along the way. I like the airiness of the castle tops and as terrifying as arachnuts are they are also a part of what gives the map its edge, along with some of the more tasteful skypest usage in the game.

And I might as well at least describe why I like the Pyramid of the Forbidden:
  • I am a masochist who likes long, grindy levels
  • The ending is hilarious even to this day
  • Still remembering the excitement of getting there in the first place (and the genius of putting the secret level where it’s clearly visible in the map, taunting us with its presence)
  • Layout is clever, in its evil way
  • Not the room with the platforms and a billion skypests though, f!ck that room
Image
Ceilick
The Dude
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 20:10
Location: Seattle

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Ceilick »

These results are surprising!

I picked the Perilous Pit because I feel like it exemplifies the perfect use of space and balance in a level. Every part of the level forms a room or scene, the level is concise without anything superfluous. Each of the areas are unique. The gem/switch 'puzzle' is a great introductory setup. Just a great all around level.

I also picked Crystalus for the gem hunting and use of space; how the level simultaneously uses large open/empty space but divides the itself into rooms and sections. When I got lost in this level, for whatever reason, I always enjoyed that.

My last pick was a tough choice. I considered the Pyramid of Moons (probably my 4th favorite), Sand Yego, Lifewater Oasis, and even the Isle of Fire, but I opted for the Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients. Like Crystalus, I admire the use of open space, but also really like the tight corridors. I love the exploration and the switch 'puzzle' combined with the gem search. The final section with the tar is hugely nostalgic and I think great climactic level design.

The votes here I find the most surprising are for the Isle of Tar. StupidBunny's reasoning make some sense, but I'm really curious if that's the same rationale for the other voters of that one.
User avatar
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 13:56
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Nospike »

I also think Isle of Tar is a great level. When I was a kid it used to be the most terrifying one for me. The platforming can be really nervewracking at times, there are blind drops into not-certain-but-quite-likely death, where the only clue of what awaits you is the tar-stained background. It truly feels like a dangerous place to be.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 796
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:43
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Benvolio »

I have picked Perilous Pit, Pyramid of Shadows and Isle of Tar.

Perilous Pit is rightly being given recognition in this thread as it is a quintessential open-plan level. Obviously being an early level in the game it provides a pivotal role in the learning curve for the whole Galaxy experience. For me, this level signalled that there was something really special unfolding in Keen4, with possibilities extending beyond the impressive audiovisual veneer already encountered in Border and Slug villages. Somehow, more was to be squeezed out of the 2D platformer genre.

Pyramid of Shadows, upon first glance, seems like a dry sort of level, lacking the buttock-exposing irreverence, candy-munching nuisances or forbidden deathliness of its three companions in the pyramid world. But when I recall playing this level, I found it to be one of the most satisfying challenges in the game, with latter sections feeling like I had truly earned the right to be there.

And Isle of Tar. Or as I like to think of it, "I Love Tar". A unique(ish) sort of aesthetic is gained from the black tar, setting it apart from traditional acid, lava or fire. But it's the level design we're here to talk about and this one for me was a hit. Galaxy mazes can easily be overwhelming and I find this with a lot of Galaxy mods. Isle of Tar, in my mind, is a great lesson in where to draw the line with level complexity to avoid losing *some* players due to a drop-off in enjoyment.

Within the context of Keen4, this is a game where all levels have something to offer with their level design, but also is a game where a lot of graphical diversity and novelty carries the player eagerly forward. Bearing these in mind, I think that the three levels I picked best exemplify the level design merit ot Keen4, even if other levels carried the gratification of more visually or conceptually novel content.
Hisymak
Vortininja
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 20:13

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Hisymak »

Well, for me, I would definitely put Cave of the Descendents on the list.
I really liked the level for its mysteriousness and feeling of isolation (a deep and dark cave) and lot of secrets and dead ends. Finding all the secret areas was lot of fun for me as a kid, I believed there were still more. Especially that dead-end secret with two extra lives took my attention as a kid the most - I spent lot of hours repeating this level trying to get more than 100 lives.
Note that I also created a remake of this level for Vinyl Goddess from Mars with a level editor I created for this game. I haven't released it yet due to losing inspiration during creation of my VGFM level pack, but I might at least release it separately for those who are interested.

Secondly, I remember liking Isle of Tar for being quite large and complex, and always feeling for a dangerous and challenging level in a good sense. For some reason I loved tar in Keen4, and this level was full of it, with the giant inaccessible pool beneath blue key door and I also liked the two platforming challenges at the bottom of level and ice cream cone secret area. I also got satisfied by shooting slugs into tar, loved the pile of drops on the mid-top platform (where I often got an extra keen), and the fact, that on easy difficulty I could skip whole level by jumping over the gap. And also there was a big house with extra life near the exit.

The third choice is really hard. I'm deciding among Pyramid of Shadows, Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients and Sand Yego. I liked those two pyraminds for being interesting, complex, challenging and enjoyable levels, especially because both of them featured an original challenging platforming area at the bottom part leading to a council member. Sand Yego was a nicely-looking and rather chill level on easy difficulty, while it turned into nearly unbeatable challenge on hard difficulty due to adding Arachnuts into the corridors part after the door. I especially liked the upper parts of level (the "fortress towers") which felt quite peaceful and full of goodies and secrets compared to the lower parts. I liked the inaccessible water beneath the level (I once remember bugging into it through the secret near level start) and especially having lot of fun turning a bridge off while a slug standing on it, so it became rapidly spinning in the air.
User avatar
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 23:34
Location: The Outpost
Contact:

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Nisaba »

In my experience Isle of Tar is the most memorable and enjoyable level ever since. I particularly appreciate the visual division on the different floors/levels. On the one hand there is the surface part, which is characterized by greenery in the background. Then you have that classic underground design. In addition, the heat from the tar pools seems to have a noticeable effect in the walls. As a kid, I thought the walls must have melted because the tar is so hot. After all, there is a lot of bubbles in the tar basin that explain why melt viscosity of the surrounding walls. This visual differentiation is a good support to orientate yourself in the level. This makes the idiosyncratic door mechanisms easier to grasp and less confusing, although they do not act strictly logically.
I am also impressed by how many different orientation puzzles and quick time challenges are built into such compact space. And to this day I love exploring the secret passages in this level (even if the placement of the Skypsts feels quite unfair).
All in all this level design is partly based on very simple ideas, which, however, can create an exciting experience in a rather clever way and an interesting setting.
and for some reason the big tar pools look and feel still visually very appealing to me.

Apparently there are many votes for most if not all of the pyramids. Those votes confirm my expectations and my own assessment. Somehow, even as a child, I was magically drawn to the pyramids. I really like the mysterious touch. Maybe also because the worlmap representations are very promising and actually hold even more surprises in store. Most of all, I probably like the Pyramid of Shadows.
Here, too, I really appreciate the visual orientation. There is the area directly under the stone roof. Then the maze placed right in the middle of the level. Next to that we have that long corridor as the marker of the starting point, which is only interrupted by a slug pool. Diving deeper into the pyramid it also gets significantly darker towards the end of the level. All of this allows the individual sections to be easily distinguished from one another.
Looking at this level from a modder point of view this level pursues various ideas, all of which work well for themselves in their individual sections, and together guarantee an eventful experience full of diversify challenges.
What particularly impresses me is that after many years is that I am still discovering "new" secret areas for the very first time. For example, this year I found out for the first time how to get that extra life next to the slug pool. a sublime feeling to have wrested another secret from the game ... and that after such a long time!

Third, I chose Miragia. Here, too, it is the visual implementation of unique ideas that cannot be found in any other level. Next to that I really appreciate the alternative routes, which make the level very exciting in my opinion. The player guidance along the vertical axis is also positively broken up by various elements: disappearing platforms, elevators, falling platforms, blind jumps, permeable ledges, etc. Opponents are very well placed in this level and provide additional tension. Previous speakers have already covered the rest.


Nevertheless, almost every level holds things a hand that I still love to do. Here's just a small selection of things :
- Border Village: Ride the Bounder from start to finish
- Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients: Do not shoot down Treasure Eaters until they say goodbye in a cloud
- Pyramid of the Moons: Gather the Inchworms on the small hill
- Lifewater Oasis: Collect the points protected by the Mimerock without heart attacks and dispose of them again as quickly as possible
- Hillville: Finding the Invisible Platforms. To this day I can't remember where these are hidden
- Crystalus: try to climb as quickly and effectively as speedrunners do so, which I never succeed doing... damn these guys are good!
- Chasm of Chills: rile those Licks and make them crawle up the hill in slomo
- Cave of the Descendents: scurry through as many as possible faster than the Mad Mushrooms
- The Perilous Pit: Next time I will use each and every moving platform to collect all points. I've been promising myself this for years, but I never do.
- Sand Yego: @Hysmiak having lot of fun turning a bridge off to make a slug standing on it and rapidly spinning mid air.
- Miragia: I love falling down the secret area to the very right. feels very satisfying.
- Pyramid of Shadows: There must be even more secrets hidden somewhere than you might think. Keep on digging
- Isle of Tar: Shooting Slugs into the tar! Requires some timing but is so much fun. even after so many years
- Well of Wishes: Having fun with the school fishes. Can I secure each and everyone of them?
- Isle of fire: trick all Mimerocks without shooting them.
Foray in the Forest progress:
92% Programming || 95% GFX || 92% Levels || 98% Creatures || 90% Story || 94% Music || 95% SFX || 96% Extras

Other projects:
- Play Commander Keen on a GameBoy
- The Lynx Nyx
User avatar
The Shifted One
Grunt
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 21:25
Location: Kingdom Come

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by The Shifted One »

I'll start with the Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients.
I love all the pyramids but this one stood out with its open space and more complicated switch layout.
The treasure eater would scare the crap out of me too as a child.
I always thought they could kill Keen so I was always on high alert in case one popped up nearby; completely oblivious to the fact they go after treasures...

Second I'll go with the Cave of Decendents.
Many cool secrets and dead ends really made it feel like a exploring a cave.
The vertical section in the end was cool too as a bonus.

Last I'll pick the Pyramid of the Moons.
The mystery around the secret level alone made it worth it.
Thats one memory I will never forget.
Other cool secrets such as actually being able to make it up on the top of the pyramid only made it better.

I kinda wanted to put the Ilse of Tar in too so I'll mention it too.

To be honest these 4 levels could be in any order as they are all amazing.
There are no real bad levels at all in the game anyway, just mediocre at worst (like Hillville) which really goes to show how excellent the level design (in all galaxy titles) really is.

Also:
Hisymak wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:24 Note that I also created a remake of this level for Vinyl Goddess from Mars with a level editor I created for this game. I haven't released it yet due to losing inspiration during creation of my VGFM level pack, but I might at least release it separately for those who are interested.
I don't know how I ever missed that as I love that game.
I'll be sure to give that a shot when I have some extra time!

I would also like to quote myself from way back.
It's fun how opinions can change over time ;)
The Shifted One wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 Keen 4:
Cave of Decendants: Cool and mysterious, dunno why but it feels like that! Great level design too (the mushroom part sucked though).
Worst: Well of wishes, swimming levels just arent very fun, move around while dodge garg trying to find a way out. not my thing.
Existence is futile!
User avatar
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:56
Location: your local supermarket

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

In the past few days, I've done 3 playthroughs of Keen. Normal, then hard, then easy. (I didn't use the foot in the Pyramid of the Moons, and I didn't use in level save states.) After each level, I put it in a worst to best list based on how I felt about it at the time. Here are my lists!


Normal mode:

19. Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket
Pros: You can enter the level as many times as you want, and it has the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket!

Cons: It doesn't have anything other than the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket.


18 High Scores
Pros: Super secret level teased in the demo.

Cons: No exit. Honestly, it's not even a good level.


17. Isle of Tar
Before I said that the Isle of Tar doesn't have anything unique in it other than tar, but on normal mode, it's the only level with Wormouths. (Other than one at the start of Miragia.) Still the least good level.
Pros: Shooting slugs into tar. Buildings. Wormouths. Big tar pit.

Cons: Maze that doesn't have a satisfying ending. Big tar pit.


16. Hillville
Pros: Secret in the sky. Mimrock jumping into spikes. Bounder.

Cons: Too much ammo in the sky. Donuts above fire are not worth it. Short, not the real Hillville.


15. Pyramid of the Forbidden
Pros: Foot. Oracle Janitor. Extra life near the start.

Cons: All of it. (OK, so I like the 5th room.)


14. Pyramid of the Moons
Pros: Foot. Moons. Roof secret.

Cons: Leads to the Pyramid of the Forbidden.


13. Slug Village
Pros: The most average level.

Cons: Introduces Skypests. That can go off screen.


12. The Perilous Pit
Pros: Good level.

Cons: That's it.


11. Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients
Pros: Unique creature. Lots of switches to switch. Long fun level layout.

Cons: Chocolate stuck behind dart shooter. Tricky enemies on platforms above tar.


10. Cave of the Descendents
As a kid, I probably would have said this is my favorite level. I remember that every time I reached the mushroom room I would turn on the pogo, pretend Keen was a "jumping bean" (I don't know why), and try to get all the points and get to the top without getting off the pogo or touching the mushrooms.
Pros: Mushroom room.

Cons: Annoying secrets. Death pit has a missing spear tile. (Just something I noticed.)


9. Pyramid of Shadows
Pros: I lot of extra lives I never knew how to get before. Best of the pyramids. Challenging. Most intense platform section.

Cons: Could hit dart shooters in ceiling without seeing them.


8. Lifewater Oasis
Pros: Just a chill level with a cool last room.

Cons: Platform area in top right can be annoying.


7. Border Village
Pros: Great first level.

Cons: Short.


6. Sand Yego
Pros: Not too short. Not too hard. Well-balanced level.

Cons: Enemies force you to take it slow but it's not too bad.


5. Well of Wishes
Pros: Fish. Unique gameplay. Extra life at the beginning.

Cons: Unreachable point items. Dopefish can be tricky.


4. Isle of Fire
Pros: Unique powerful enemy. Cool final level.

Cons: um... Berkloid in hallway?


3. Chasm of Chills
Blue Birds are my favorite enemy in the game, partly due to messing around with their bugginess.
Pros: Sky area. Platform path through clouds. Blue Birds and eggs. Secret areas. Open level.

Cons: Erm...


2. Miragia
Pros: Cool looking. Multiple routes to explore.

Cons: Um...


1. Crystalus
Pros: Big and Open. Not too mazey (all the routes are "go up"). Moving platforms. Blue Birds. fun throughout.

Cons: No secrets, but I would know where they are anyway. Skypests, but that's just how Keen 4 is (and you can sometimes squish them with pogo Keen's head).



Hard mode:

17. Pyramid of the Forbidden
Cons: ALL OF IT. Specifically that slug, that spear, and them Skypests. When I did it for this playthrough I actually got past all three of them on the first try. I would say it's because I'm a Keen expert if they weren't RNG.


16. Sand Yego
This is where my first full playthrough on hard mode that I can remember ended, even though I was using save states. It put young me into a long phase of being obsessed with ammo conservation.
Pros: Funny glitchy Arachnuts.

Cons: Stunned Arachnuts cover slime and block shots. Uses up ammo, even when not shooting much. Arachnut at the exit to force you to have ammo, why. Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.


15. Isle of Fire
Pros: Not as bad now that I'm better at Keen.

Cons: THOSE BERKLOIDS.


14. Hillville
Cons: Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.


13. Pyramid of Shadows
Cons: Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.


12. Isle of Tar


11. Slug Village


10. The Perilous Pit
Pros: Troll Lick at end.


9. Cave of the Descendents
Pros: Slugs in mushroom room.

Cons: Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.


8. Pyramid of the Moons
Pros: No Skypests!


7. Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients
Pros: Skypests don't ruin as much of the level as usual.

Cons: Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.


6. Lifewater Oasis


5. Border Village
Pros: Leading Licks into spikes.


4. Well of Wishes


3. Crystalus
Pros: Another Blue Bird to mess with.

Cons: Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.


2. Chasm of Chills
Pros: More Blue Birds. No Skypests!!


1. Miragia
Pros: Wormouths on fall-through platforms are fun to shoot.

Cons: Skypests, but that's just how hard mode is.



Easy mode:

17. Isle of Tar


16. Slug Village
Cons: still has a Skypest.


15. The Perilous Pit


14. Lifewater Oasis


13. Pyramid of Shadows


12. Pyramid of the Moons


11. Hillville
Pros: no Skypest. More fun with easy jump height.


10. Isle of Fire


9. Pyramid of the Forbidden


8. Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients


7. Cave of the Descendents


6. Sand Yego


5. Border Village


4. Well of Wishes


3. Miragia


2. Chasm of Chills


1. Crystalus
Pros: Fewer enemies make it even more fun to jump around and get all the points!



I then gave them points based on their placements to calculate the average, which came out like this:

Isle of tar 46

Hillvillle 41

Pyramid of the Forbidden 41

Slug Village 40

The Perilous Pit 37

Pyramid of Shadows 35

Pyramid of the Moons 34

Isle of Fire 29

Lifewater Oasis 28

Sand Yego 28

Pyramid of the Gnosticene Ancients 26

Cave of the Descendents 26

Border Village 17

Well of Wishes 13

Chasm of Chills 7

Miragia 6

Crystalus 5



It seems like I changed my mind about the Pyramid of the Moons. The reason I didn't choose Slug Village as a least favorite level before is because it was too "Iconic" in my head, being one of the first levels, but I guess Ceilick is right about it being generic. (And it's not even a real village! :crazy )
User avatar
StupidBunny
format c:
Posts: 2133
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 19:19
Location: The Centre of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by StupidBunny »

Interesting how sharply Crystalus divides opinion so far. It is simultaneously among the most loved and disliked (not to say “hated”) levels based on these results. I’ve always liked it myself, though it’s not as much of a standout to me as some of the other levels such as the pyramids or the ones I chose.

Isle of Fire seems to be on the low end for most people, as is Hillville. I guess the former because parts of it are extremely trying (especially for people like me who insist on always playing Hard mode), and the latter because it’s easily the flattest and most one-directional level, save for a handful of jumping puzzles in the sky.

It’s also interesting that a lot of people defended the Chasm of Chills in the previous thread, and yet so far it hasn’t made anybody’s top three. I imagined for its distinctiveness somebody would’ve come in for it—I ranked it low myself but I do admire the depth of its secret areas and would’ve expected to see more of that here.

The two “village” levels seem to be mostly middling by these metrics, with Slug Village coming out a bit lower for its lack of villagey features. I’m surprised that Perilous Pit and Lifewater Oasis have come out so high, I always saw them as excellent-but-still-average-for-Keen 4 levels but it seems people particularly enjoy the open layout of the former and some of the funky bits in the latter. I can’t say I dispute any of that, they’re both awesome.

Miragia maybe is the most universally liked map, nobody ranked it among their bottom three and though I remember one person wasn’t too into it most of us including myself have had nothing but glowing things to say about it.

I wonder where my favorite evil pyramid would be looking if it were ranked here :p
Image
User avatar
The Shifted One
Grunt
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 21:25
Location: Kingdom Come

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by The Shifted One »

StupidBunny wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:20 It’s also interesting that a lot of people defended the Chasm of Chills in the previous thread, and yet so far it hasn’t made anybody’s top three. I imagined for its distinctiveness somebody would’ve come in for it—I ranked it low myself but I do admire the depth of its secret areas and would’ve expected to see more of that here.
I like the level, its just not in my top 3 ;)
I'd probably rank it 6 or 7.
As I've already stated level design in the Galaxy series is just that good on average.
Existence is futile!
User avatar
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 23:34
Location: The Outpost
Contact:

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Nisaba »

StupidBunny wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:20 Interesting how sharply Crystalus divides opinion so far. It is simultaneously among the most loved and disliked (not to say “hated”) levels based on these results. I’ve always liked it myself, though it’s not as much of a standout to me as some of the other levels such as the pyramids or the ones I chose.
this phenomenon might be caused by the fact that "favorite" isn't defined.
I mean, in terms of atmosphere, colour scheme and variety this level feels quite plain and dull to me. At the same time I like the open exploration. And even in parts the vertical aspect can get quite interesting especially when climbing down feels differently and in a new way even more challenging compared to the clamber before. this diversifies some backtracking areas of this level, which again in other sections can quickly become tedious.

It would be interesting to see how votes for/against Crystalus change if we could only upgrade one aspect for the better ...
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Sep 03, 2021 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Foray in the Forest progress:
92% Programming || 95% GFX || 92% Levels || 98% Creatures || 90% Story || 94% Music || 95% SFX || 96% Extras

Other projects:
- Play Commander Keen on a GameBoy
- The Lynx Nyx
User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: Orbit

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by proYorp »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 13:59
StupidBunny wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:20 Interesting how sharply Crystalus divides opinion so far. It is simultaneously among the most loved and disliked (not to say “hated”) levels based on these results. I’ve always liked it myself, though it’s not as much of a standout to me as some of the other levels such as the pyramids or the ones I chose.
this phenomenon might be caused by the fact that "favorite" isn't defined.
What do you mean when you say that favorite is not defined? I did pose some questions to help guide answers in the original post. Otherwise I was assuming people would refer to the default English definition of "the one you personally like more than all the others." (Or in the case of "least favorite," maybe less obvious, "the one that you personally don't like as much as the others.")

I think it may be more appropriate to attribute the discrepancy to the simple fact that people have different tastes, different likes and dislikes, and different play styles, which will impact what people decide is a favorite. For instance:


Ceilick wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 18:01 Crystalus [...] When I got lost in this level, for whatever reason, I always enjoyed that.
Maybe that's a key difference in the formation of opinion. When I get lost in a level, I tend to get bored pretty quickly. If I know what to do I have a lot more patience.



Despite that fact that Crystalus and I are not necessarily on good terms, I can appreciate the fact that other people might like it. I want to get a good understanding of why. I hope to see more people to give in-depth explanations about why they like Crystalus, because I think I'm starting to see the appeal. (There's real potential here. Getting ideas, though I don't want to say too much on that yet....)

Though my own experience with the level makes me a bit surprised at the fact that it's currently tied for first, I suppose I did also guess something like this might happen:
proYorp wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:44Often it seems that in general when strong opinions are involved, it tends to go to two extremes both ways, and sometimes the things most disliked by one group are also the most loved by another. For instance Ceilick's appreciation for Crystalus despite it currently winning this particular poll. I'd be curious to know how Crystalus holds up in a general "favorite level" poll.


Conversely, I'm surprised at how poorly Chasm of Chills has been doing on both these polls. Personally I thought of it as an unimportant level, with not much to it. Might have even considered it as the least important level to the picture of Keen 4. But I am quite surprised that it has surpassed levels that have been described to be outright annoying as a community least favorite, and has barely a vote so far here. Useful to know....




Benvolio wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:55 And Isle of Tar. Or as I like to think of it, "I Love Tar".
:lol Smooth.


Nisaba wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 14:05 As a kid, I thought the walls must have melted because the tar is so hot.
I remember thinking this too.


The Shifted One wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 17:51 I would also like to quote myself from way back.
It's fun how opinions can change over time ;)
The Shifted One wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 Keen 4:
Cave of Decendants: Cool and mysterious, dunno why but it feels like that! Great level design too (the mushroom part sucked though).
Worst: Well of wishes, swimming levels just arent very fun, move around while dodge garg trying to find a way out. not my thing.
Aha, I knew there must've been another thread about this somewhere. Thanks for the link.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
User avatar
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 23:34
Location: The Outpost
Contact:

Re: Keen 4 Most Favorite Level?

Post by Nisaba »

proYorp wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 What do you mean when you say that favorite is not defined? I did pose some questions to help guide answers in the original post. Otherwise I was assuming people would refer to the default English definition of "the one you personally like more than all the others." (Or in the case of "least favorite," maybe less obvious, "the one that you personally don't like as much as the others.")
well, criticism wasn't intended. you did a great job introducing this two votes.
I think what I wanted to point out is that it is in the nature of things that everyone interprets "favorite" slightly differently. The gaming experience can be "enjoyable" because it is particularly challenging, or because it evokes childhood memories, or it is visually very appealing, and so on. The choice of each one will likely depend on the weighting of different values.
However, the various preferences cannot be fully read from the votes themselves. That's just what it is. So we are discussing. And we heard a lot of preferences plus reasons from the community. and that is very exciting! I find it particularly exciting where opinions differ. Most of the time it is shown exactly there (directly or subtly) which preference is evaluated and how.
proYorp wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 I think it may be more appropriate to attribute the discrepancy to the simple fact that people have different tastes, different likes and dislikes, and different play styles, which will impact what people decide is a favorite.
I absolutely second this.
Foray in the Forest progress:
92% Programming || 95% GFX || 92% Levels || 98% Creatures || 90% Story || 94% Music || 95% SFX || 96% Extras

Other projects:
- Play Commander Keen on a GameBoy
- The Lynx Nyx
Post Reply