Commander Keen Meets the Meats

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

VBB, is that a mustache on the Beefburgian?

Also, are we going to include enemies that are only partly meat? Like hotdogs, burgers, etc.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Yeah it's a moustache :disguised
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Levellass wrote:Sir, I suggest you check out that most excellent movie 'Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs' It has so many ideas there (Killer chickens! Ballistic pizza slices!) and some lovely visuals especially for tiles.

I'm sure he likes apples and grapes too, there's a difference between hot on the plate (Or crispy in the lunchbox) and hunting you down.

The ability to use boobus bombs in more than one level, enemies with health like the boss, enemies that can be permanently destroyed while all the other enemies bust out. Enemies that fly back and forth. Enemies that turn into other things when shot or fall to pieces into lots of smaller enemy-ettes. Boobus bombs that don't act like the flower power...
Basically, quite a few things.
I have taken a brief look at 'Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs'. Might be something useful in there!
And...yeah, I bet he does like apples and grapes. Good point. I actually thought of that point, but promptly forgot it when posting.
Wait! All those things are possible now? I feel like KMtM is in desperate need of a Flying enemy. A 'Ham Hawk' for instance.
Those patch possibilities you listed...I'll have to puddle and ponder them for a while now. They're going to be extremely useful for my personal Dreams project (Mini Robo Red).

Nice artwork, VBB! Those characters strike me as much more Dream-ish than my Steak or Chicken. Oh wait... I still have to add eyes and mouths. No wonder!
szemi wrote:Who will make Keen Meets the Meats then? Because I see you submit ideas, but I still don't know who will put these into Keen Dreams(mod).
According to history, whatever project I'm in charge of never gets done. I don't think we're at this stage yet anyhow.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Pokes around in Dreams mod folder*
#Mine carts move in air, not on ground
%patch $87DF $75
%patch $87F2 $75

Or if that doesn't float your boat,
#Asparagusto fly like Minecarts
%patch $25688 $010FW $010FW $0001W $0001W $0000W $000AW $000AW $0000W
$00000000L $00000000L $0868014BRL $1C36W
%patch $256A6 $0110W $0110W $0001W $0001W $0000W $000AW $000AW $0000W
$00000000L $00000000L $0868014BRL $1C54W
%patch $256C4 $0111W $0111W $0001W $0001W $0000W $000AW $000AW $0000W
$00000000L $00000000L $0868014BRL $1C72W
%patch $256E2 $0112W $0112W $0001W $0001W $0000W $000AW $000AW $0000W
$00000000L $00000000L $0868014BRL $19C0W
It's a decent story. My concern is covering old ground again. A while back, I downloaded a slue of Keen mods, and almost every time, Mortimer was the villain. I became sick of Mort appearing in so many Keen mods. If Mort died in previous mods, it was like he had to be resurrected for the next mod because there just aren't any new villains, ideas or characters.
Hence why Keen is so very sure Mortimer is behind things in my mod quadrilogy, but it's not him at all. It's a far bigger threat to the universe. (Depending on how things go you may or may not be able to play as Mort AND Keen in the last episode.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote: Hence why Keen is so very sure Mortimer is behind things in my mod quadrilogy, but it's not him at all. It's a far bigger threat to the universe. (Depending on how things go you may or may not be able to play as Mort AND Keen in the last episode.)
Thanks for spoiling :redeyes

uh... what quadrilogy is this? :stunned
Shadowkeen? I don't remember being able to play as mort in zoltan's revenge :confused
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's only the first episode, you won't see Mort until the fourth. (All going well. I'm trying to put NetKeen code into regular Keen.)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Wait, llass, is it really possible to have boobus bombs in more than one level? I thought it was impossible to put them and flower power in one level. How would the controls work?
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

...ham hawk. YES!

it might end up that we would start with clever puns before actually drawing the sprites.

not that i'm complaining.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Wait, llass, is it really possible to have boobus bombs in more than one level? I thought it was impossible to put them and flower power in one level. How would the controls work?

Code: Select all

#What levels Keen fires Boobus Bombs in instead of Flower Power
%patch $637A $0F $75 #Use bomb counter
%patch $6463 $0F $74 #Make bomb
Keen can fire either Flower Power or Boobus Bombs, not both. It may be possible to have a separate 'Boobus Bomb Key' so Keen CAN, but this is a little trickier to implement. Current shot patches can be found here: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:K ... 8Dreams%29 The area of Keen Dreams patching may have to be vastly expanded.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Good way you are going on, guys. But as I see this mod project will never be done. But hey, how about picking this project up? So I can work on it with a partner. :)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

B-b-b-b-b-but this is my baby! No touchie! Thou shalt not gobble-gobble up or pounce upon ALL THE PROJECTZ! Nah, I kid. I have grand visions. Continue contributing artwork for this, as I'll have something to show for Keen Day.
Oy! Not just a partner. Many partners! It'll be done in no time (5 years).
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

IT'S MODDIN' TIME!!!