Commander Keen Meets the Meats

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Great cats, here's another something to look at!
As we know, the cooked, ready-to-eat chicken in Duke1 uses brown, red and light red. I was thinking perhaps to add a chicken to the cast of characters--but a raw chicken, thereby adding to the lethality and grossness of the thing. So I used yellow and white as the primary colors. Hopefully it's recognizable. I have cooked versions of the chicken with the aforementioned colors and I think it's far more recognizable. Anyway, I messed up the chicken legs a bit. I'll fix that. Currently operating on 3 frames, I give you... the Grotisquerie Chicken.
Take a look: http://youtu.be/hjZkxQJd2bo
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Thats some good looking chicken and t-bones. And I agree that this mod should be a big community project. Let's do this!

I want to see fish and roast beef enemies as well. and maybe bacon strips. What, fish isn't meat for some reason? Keen Dreams already cheated when they inserted apple and grape enemies.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

It'll be a mod one of these days, gawd dawn it, even if I have to go on a meatless diet for the rest of my life! 2012 has been a giant balloon filling up with ideas, ready to burst into new mods this 2013. I feel like KMtM is like Universe is Toast. The fact that these titles have been mentioned by the creators gives them that oh-my-gosh-this-must-be-made-into-a-mod-one-day status. The next character I'll be working on is the "Sausage Link Serpent" which might replace the Apel or the Asparagusto. This could be a great community project. I don't have any experience in level-making anyway.
Not sure if there's a... On second thought, a fish might not be half-bad.
Flower Power suggestion: Steam Screen!
EDIT: I love Ceilick's idea of "Baconus Rex and his Bacon Bits" even though it feels like Liver should be the boss. If Baconus Rex is the boss, Liver is almost as effective being a common enemy, like the Tater Trooper. If Liver is the boss, I think it should be female, in contrast to King Tuber. We'll see. It may be awful hard to draw a proper liver, but I'll take a stab at it after the sausage links are finished. Red and Purple will be the primary colors, of course.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It should be possible to add more enemies to the game, if so, why not go for two bosses? I'm thinking of using three for my mod.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Godecrikey... Okay. So on this small white piece of parchment found after hitting the reply button, you, levelass, are to write out every single possible change that can be made to Dreams that so that we the people may pick and choose what fits, works, and likes.
No, but really. I have no idea what's possible and what's not. But that isn't the question, is it? It's coming up with ideas and THEN patch. As my good friend used to say, "Ask not what is possible from patching. But rather, ask what is...." Dog. Gone. It. I forgot what he used to say.
Perhaps the thing to do is hammer out the story for KMtM.
EDIT: This is harder than I thought. How's it look?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Are most of the enemies going to have no eyes, mouth or any other visible sensory organs? I'm not saying that's bad. There's in fact something eerie about the creatures without eyes nor mouth. It's like they are reanimated through some dark magic.

In my version of the Sausage Serpent, it was going to have a mouth-like opening like here. I thought a sausage-based critter would make a good apple replacement, climbing up and down poles by wrapping its body around them. The chicken doesn't really fit for this because of its tiny appendages. Unless you make the pole go through the chicken, and make it move via contracting its body? Disgusting, I know :P

Also, the chicken looks great as it is, but could you try add some darker pixels that look like goose bumps for extra creepyness?

EDIT: Whaddabout a Fried Fish that shoots fishbones from its mouth? (Pea Pod replacement).

EDIT2: Update. I thought it would be funny if the fish floats a little above the ground by flapping its tiny fins.

EDIT3: Preview of a possible intestines tileset. Here's an idea: Since the mod features nothing but meat as enemies, at least part of the levels should be all fleshy with slithering bowels and pulsating organs (akin to Silcar 4). Maybe sometime after Keen defeated Bobus, the Dream World was devoured by a gargantuan creature that Keen must now enter into, find its brain (final boss) and tell it to spit out the Dream World and never return. Of course the brain refuses at first because the Dreams taste so good, but after a good ol' kick-in-the-brain-stem by Keen, it gives up. Surely the stomachache inadvertently caused by Keen while he was blasting his way to the cranium convinces the creature not to return.

"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I don't think this is a very good idea for a story, nor something keen-ish. Sure, it's possible to make a monster's inside level, but it should be as cartoony as possible.
Also, troublesomekeen, that chicken is really nice. If you're going to edit the legs I suggest that bones poke out.
As for enemies, roast beef is a very nice idea, so is bacon :p Imo fish should be fried or something, as normal living fish wouldn't really fit inside a world of meat.
I also had a very crazy and probably impossible idea for a patch. Keen hates vegetables right? But noone said that he doesn't like meat either. So how about a patch that makes you able to permanently kill enemies by stunning them and then eating them up? Could work by standing on top of the stunned enemy and not moving. :drool
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Maybe the flower power seeds can be replaced with those take-home boxes you get from restauraunts, trapping them inside until they eventually break out.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

All of my Meats have no eyes or mouths so far, but they're all early versions. I will be added eyes and frowns and what-not later on. So I'm going to have two versions of all the Meats. You're right about that eerie factor though. We'll see how it goes. To keep in the spirits of Dreams, the characters must be more lively. Currently they're looking more undeadly.

Sausage replacing the Apel is fine--probably a better choice altogether. I was just testing it out with Chicken because...well...sometimes a Chicken is cooked on a pole--a horizontal pole. I'm afraid Keen-Poles are vertical. Even so, it gives a good name from Rotisserie Chicken to Grotesquerie Chicken. The Chicken shown in the video is too large to fit through the area where the pole runs up behind the platform. Maybe I can manage good Chicken-Pole-Sprites. Like a Rotisserie Chicken, it will move up and down poles by spinning, not with its legs and buffalo wings.
And yes, more goose bumps! Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Not so crazy about the being inside bowels and organs idea. Sounds like Norp the Yorp. There could be a level or two where Keen goes inside a giant pig to get Boobus Bombs Replacement. And some levels will take place on a Meatloaf and a Beefcake. I wonder what we could replace the Boobus Bombs with.

Perhaps this mod should be more disconnected from Tuberia and the Dream Machine. Keen still has to access 'Beefburgia' by dreaming, but maybe this dream takes him to a land far away from Tuberia.
Nospike wrote:If you're going to edit the legs I suggest that bones poke out.
Great idea. The bones are white, which, due to the uncooked yellowness of the Chicken, will make them hard to see. I may have to darken the entire chicken, taking after Duke Nukem after all:

I was also wondering if we should slightly reinvent PJ Keen. I was thinking perhaps his Mom was doing laundry that day (or night) and Keen had to dawn not only his big brothers helmet, but his pajamas too. Hmm, that might be awkward. Personally I have five or six spare pairs of pajamas. Keen might have a spare that's too big for him. It might be amusing to see Keen flomping around it loose, long and x-large PJs.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Maybe the flower power seeds can be replaced with those take-home boxes you get from restauraunts, trapping them inside until they eventually break out.
What an utterly splendid idea. I work at a restaurant and give guest take-home boxes all the time.
One last note is that we only know Keen hates liver. He probably likes hamburgers and pork and bacon, etc.. That's why I'm thinking of keeping most Meats raw and uneatable.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Sir, I suggest you check out that most excellent movie 'Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs' It has so many ideas there (Killer chickens! Ballistic pizza slices!) and some lovely visuals especially for tiles.

Your sausage snake needs eyes, so it has a recognizable head (Or a head at both ends, or be made of sausages with eyes, and it can throw sausages at Keen.)
Perhaps this mod should be more disconnected from Tuberia and the Dream Machine. Keen still has to access 'Beefburgia' by dreaming, but maybe this dream takes him to a land far away from Tuberia.

They stole the Tuberian's Dream Machine since Keen didn't destroy it, he only turned it off. (Yeah that's the plot of one of my mods, so sue me.) Or they have an indigestion machine.

One last note is that we only know Keen hates liver. He probably likes hamburgers and pork and bacon, etc.. That's why I'm thinking of keeping most Meats raw and uneatable.
I'm sure he likes apples and grapes too, there's a difference between hot on the plate (Or crispy in the lunchbox) and hunting you down. Also, include some tripe, and haggis (With bagpipes! Or babpipe shaped!) lights, prairie oysters and kidneys. (Who are found around steaks. Or impaled on stakes)

I wonder what we could replace the Boobus Bombs with.
Light salads, veggie them to death.

Indigestion tablets, the power of fizz compels you!

Skewers, the predator of all bite-sized meat morsels!

Stuffing! Soy mush! Tofurkey!

I don't think this is a very good idea for a story, nor something keen-ish. Sure, it's possible to make a monster's inside level, but it should be as cartoony as possible.
I don't see why not, Cosmo did some gut levels rather well and numerous cartoons have. I think your meats need to be a little less anthropomorphic; they can have three eyes or one or hop about or slide. Make them strange, make them wonderful, just make them!

Godecrikey... Okay. So on this small white piece of parchment found after hitting the reply button, you, levelass, are to write out every single possible change that can be made to Dreams that so that we the people may pick and choose what fits, works, and likes.
*Deep breath*

The ability to use boobus bombs in more than one level, enemies with health like the boss, enemies that can be permanently destroyed while all the other enemies bust out. Enemies that fly back and forth. Enemies that turn into other things when shot or fall to pieces into lots of smaller enemy-ettes. Boobus bombs that don't act like the flower power...

Basically, quite a few things.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i'm still kinda fixed on having a meat grinder as the pea pod replacement, since it just seems logical for a possessed machine to be spitting out lots and lots of meat.

anyway, if it's possible to make flower powers function like stunner bullets (some enemies are perma-dead while others are briefly stunned), i think that would be the best way to go by the project.

IMO, christmas keen was too easy because all the enemies died when they were hit, and stunning like in the original KD was stupidly difficult for kiddy me.

having strong enemies be only briefly trapped, and one or two completely impervious would be delightful.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

troublesomekeen wrote:One last note is that we only know Keen hates liver.
I think we've found our King Boobus Tuber replacement :)
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

emperor james liver.

liver-let pie.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

No! I demand the Liver Boss should be female!
Olivera de Javelind
Btw, look what we're having for dinner tonight!

Thanks to Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer for helping me with the chicken sprites.
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Reading this page of the topic tonight made my day. Thank you troublesomekeen!

I wonder if pershutto or salami could be used somehow. Hm. Maybe maybe not.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Thats some good looking chicken and t-bones. And I agree that this mod should be a big community project. Let's do this!

Not sure if this would help, but here's some more meat.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!