Commander Keen Meets the Meats

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The broccoli needs to be replaced with something that wields a club of meat like that.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Eros wrote:i'm still kinda fixed on having a meat grinder as the pea pod replacement, since it just seems logical for a possessed machine to be spitting out lots and lots of meat.
Good idea, I haven't read the previous pages in ages, in case you mentioned it there. The Fried Fish can be used for something else. A flying enemy, maybe?
troublesomekeen wrote:I was just testing it out with Chicken because...well...sometimes a Chicken is cooked on a pole--a horizontal pole. I'm afraid Keen-Poles are vertical. Even so, it gives a good name from Rotisserie Chicken to Grotesquerie Chicken. The Chicken shown in the video is too large to fit through the area where the pole runs up behind the platform. Maybe I can manage good Chicken-Pole-Sprites. Like a Rotisserie Chicken, it will move up and down poles by spinning, not with its legs and buffalo wings.
That was my second idea. The Apple has different frames for going up and down, maybe we can ditch either of those to give room for some more patches.
Perhaps this mod should be more disconnected from Tuberia and the Dream Machine. Keen still has to access 'Beefburgia' by dreaming, but maybe this dream takes him to a land far away from Tuberia.
We could go back to the original idea where the Meaties invade Tuberia, discover and turn on the Dream Machine. The Meaties and Veggies have been at war since they were first dreamed of. After the loss of King Tuber, Tuberia lost its tyrannical leader and went on a more peaceful way of life. However, Tuber was the one man...potato keeping Meaties from invading Tuberia. Once Keen arrives, the Meaties have already becan meatmorphing Tuberia into their fleshy kingdom, so part of the levels look familiar and others are completely beefburgerous.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Beefburgia? I think the apple replacement should be a googly eyed burger with arms to climb the poles.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Nah, I like the idea of a skewered chicken best.

EDIT: Update. The more I draw this, the more alive it feels. I'm creating a monster. :redeyes

"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Well, a googly eyed burger MUST be in there somewhere. The potato soldier replacement? Tomatooth replacement? Squash replacement? Maybe tomatooth should be a meatball or a popcorn chicken.

.And a french fry replacement... the Lambchopper :evil (hold on guys, I wanna draw that one!)

I remember tulip mentioning a scottish haggis enemy somewhere.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Grimson wrote:Nah, I like the idea of a skewered chicken best.

EDIT: Update. The more I draw this, the more alive it feels. I'm creating a monster. :redeyes

Now you made me super hungry! *ready for eating meat*
Last edited by szemi on Mon Sep 16, 2013 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well, a googly eyed burger MUST be in there somewhere. The potato soldier replacement? Tomatooth replacement? Squash replacement? Maybe tomatooth should be a meatball or a popcorn chicken.
The googly eyed burgers can be found inhabiting the twin peaks known locally as The Golden Arches.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Levellass wrote:The broccoli needs to be replaced with something that wields a club of meat like that.
A flayed cow, walking bipedally and using the ripped off stump of one of its arms as a weapon.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Flaose wrote:
Levellass wrote:The broccoli needs to be replaced with something that wields a club of meat like that.
A flayed cow, walking bipedally and using the ripped off stump of one of its arms as a weapon.
A hotdog that slaps itself on you. Just like broccolash.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Flaose wrote:
Something with a meat tenderiser maybe?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Grimson wrote:We could go back to the original idea where the Meaties invade Tuberia, discover and turn on the Dream Machine.
It's a decent story. My concern is covering old ground again. A while back, I downloaded a slue of Keen mods, and almost every time, Mortimer was the villain. I became sick of Mort appearing in so many Keen mods. If Mort died in previous mods, it was like he had to be resurrected for the next mod because there just aren't any new villains, ideas or characters. I want to disconnect Meats from Dreams as much as possible. New enemy behaviors, new atmosphere, new places, new lands--and maybe even new Keen sprites, like those droopy pajamas. At the same time, Meats must feel like a sequel to Dreams, keeping with the same basic features, like enemies coming back to life after being Flower Powered.
The problem with this Dreams Series is that it apparently relies on the Dream Machine. So what's the plot of KMtM? Turn OFF the Dream Machine again? Been there, done that. However, I don't have any ideas how to NOT include the Dream Machine. It is, after all, a gateway to the Dream World. But is not the Dream World much bigger than Tuberia? I never want to see Tuberia ever again. Nor Mortimer! I think we really need an independent, distinct Beefburgia, which is neither east, west, north or south of Tuberia, but in the same world.

Thanks Scarlett, for the hunk of meat! Such articles of food are always welcomed, appreciated, encouraged and helpful!

Oy, Grimson, about that monster you're creating. Are those intestines or ground beef?

Ah, KP, my first idea for the Sour Grapes were Meat Tenderizers. It makes me think... Creatures and enemies can be made up of sprites and tiles. I was thinking maybe there's a way to combine the two, sprites and tiles. Like in Dreams Plus, I was so afraid to walking in front of the Cucumber:

Remember the Suit of Armor in Dreams? One could probably manage to make the Armor drop its axe on Keen by use of a Sour Grape.
(Oh my garg, I loaded up Dreams_Plus and now I can't stop playing!)
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Here's a Beefburgian and Lambchopper! :mort

Yes, their species name is Beefburgian. :p
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Nice!

But a question: Who will make Keen Meets the Meats then? Because I see you submit ideas, but I still don't know who will put these into Keen Dreams(mod).
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Oy, Grimson, about that monster you're creating. Are those intestines or ground beef?
They could actually work as ground beef, so they won't be as intimidating and more keen-y. Maybe I could add more brown.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Flaose wrote:
This could work very well with an oversized bacon strip :)