Now what do we have here...a beta!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Wow, this is awesome! I can't believe nobody knew about this beta for 2 decades. O_O

Also, the shooting robot seems to have a habit of running off the platforms in this version...
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Commander Spleen wrote:Also they may have realised it could become annoying if it played every time you went to the story screen, and didn't have the time or inclination to create a separate option to view it on its own.
I have to agree with Spleen here. It was cool to see it the first time, but to watch it every time I want to read the story segment...it might get a little annoying. Just my two cents, however.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

When you think about it, if you didn't know the story for the game wouldn't that intro sequence actually be quite confusing. You just see some random ship and some weird creature taking something from it. If you saw Keen walking away from the ship and then saw the Vorticon approaching your ship and stealing the parts, someone unfamiliar with the story would probably have a better idea of what's going on. IMO the picture seen in the final version of the game gives a better perspective of what's going on.

As for having to watch it every time, well it is skippable so I'm not entirely convinced that was the reasoning behind it's demise.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

Alright, it seems two files had not been entirely correctly extracted, these being KEEN1.EXE and LEVEL90.CK1. Thanks to hightreason for bringing this to my attention.

I updated the links in the initial post to point to archives with the correct files. Neither of these affect the game in any way (the old files just had some junk data appended to the end) but now they're original which is always better.
DOSGuy
Meep

Post by DOSGuy »

Thank you for your dedication to accurate preservation. :)
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at http://www.classicdosgames.com

Help build the user-editable DOS Games Compatibility Wiki.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I got all the ship parts, and............... *dramatic pause*.......... the game didn't end :crazy
I figured maybe the beta was different in that you had to walk back to the BwB, so I walked back there and checked, and it said:

Code: Select all

YOUR SHIP NEEDS THESE PARTS:
[no pictures]
GO GET THEM
lol....
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Yowza
Meep

Post by Yowza »

Commander Spleen wrote:Also they may have realised it could become annoying if it played every time you went to the story screen, and didn't have the time or inclination to create a separate option to view it on its own.
The scene is skippable (press enter), so that's probably not it.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Agree -- I think they removed the animation because they faced difficulties in making the animations for Keen 2 and 3. Or ran out of time. Or both.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

this is amazing, just goes to show you what is still out there, who knows what we will find next!
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

This makes me think of the Disk Tom Hall found that said 'Keen Source' on it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the hardware to read the disk, and I don't think he has done anything about it since his stroke.
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

KeenRush wrote: * Can you :yorp the difference here? 8)
Fleexy wrote:You can't get down! :O
That's not the only difference ;)

Also, try jumping over the Everclear in this level.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I see no hidden bricks! You have to go through the Voricon Commander!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Fleexy wrote:I see no hidden bricks! You have to go through the Voricon Commander!
Ahh yes, the Voricons. A distant cousin of the Vorticon, although more closely related to the kangaroo. 8) [/b]
Yowza
Meep

Post by Yowza »

pizza2004 wrote:This makes me think of the Disk Tom Hall found that said 'Keen Source' on it.
Wait, what's this now?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yes, and he NEEDS to read that disk! Do you know how fast old disks lose data?

I see no hidden bricks! You have to go through the Voricon Commander!
PLAY THE LEVEL! Surely you can make it without Godmode? Those Voricons are annoying, true, but everyone knows kangaroos can't jump if you put salt on their tails.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.