Now what do we have here...a beta!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

Yowza wrote:
pizza2004 wrote:This makes me think of the Disk Tom Hall found that said 'Keen Source' on it.
Wait, what's this now?
On a SQ800 cartridge, I guess.
Fleexy wrote:I see no hidden bricks! You have to go through the Voricon Commander!
It's not about the bricks you can't see, it's the location of the bricks you can see which is a bit different.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Yeah, that sounds about right, but I'd have to check to be certain.
QU3TZ4LC04TL
Vortininja

Post by QU3TZ4LC04TL »

At what point is that cutscene?
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

QU3TZ4LC04TL wrote:At what point is that cutscene?
When you go to the Story option on the title screen.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

THAT'S IT!
I am never allowed to try to leave this community. Too much cool / crazy stuff happens when I'm not around.

>:

Then again, maybe I SHOULD leave just so that megaly-awesome stuff is produced in my absence. :evil
tulip wrote:It is truly amazing how something like this could be found after decades... well done.
2'nd
Calvero wrote:
Yowza wrote:
pizza2004 wrote:This makes me think of the Disk Tom Hall found that said 'Keen Source' on it.
Wait, what's this now?
On a SQ800 cartridge, I guess.
So what's keeping Tom from recovering the data? Was this before or after the stroke? Is there even a *slight* chance? Has there been any word since that post? Does Tom even know this community even cares about the source? (A lot) Does Tom even know we exist? Why am I asking so many damn questions?!
Genius314 wrote:Okay, so...

-No Id Software mentioned in the intro sequence
-Animated story cutscene
-No "Previews" menu item
-Keen slides off corners of blocks
-Keen can walk off the edge of a level
-No GOD mode
-Vorticon has different jumping sprite
-"In war, do not fire all your gleebs in the first ten nooms. Do not waste gleebs."
-Red maze is not optional
-Altered ending of secret level
-Teddy bears near the top of last level
-No ending sequence

Anything else worth noting?
Videos please. You know, for the people who aren't part of the elitist modding part of this forum but still like Commander Keen really-really-really-really-really much but don't know how to mod so they can't see this stuff?

Please? :D
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Just download the zip file mentioned in the original post and run keen1.exe in DosBox. :p That ought to do it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

:dead
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Is it just me, or is the beta slower than the version 1.31?
CommanderKing
Grunt

Post by CommanderKing »

DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Nospike wrote:Is it just me, or is the beta slower than the version 1.31?
I haven't noticed, but it's possible... Optimizations and all that.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Finally got around to having a look at this. The F8 broken-screenshot key doesn't seem to have been implemented yet - later versions have reference to KEENSCRN.PIC which isn't in this beta.

I had a closer look at the disk image and it looks like it once contained at least some of the Keen source, as there are interesting folder names and deleted .OBJ files left over from compilation. Here are some of the tantalising folder names I found, alas, none of which are recoverable:

NEWLIB
MISC
RLEW
MYPAS
MYPROGS
_KSCREEN.OBJ
KEEN.OBJ
EGALATCH.OLD
EGASPRIT.OLD
KEEN1.OLD

along with little bits of HELPTEXT.CK1. The only way it might be possible to recover anything else (in case there are parts of the graphics available) is to recover all the valid files on the disk, then overwrite them with zeroes. Then any data left in the disk image (that's not zeroes) will be from the unrecoverable files. The hard part of course will be figuring out where that data fits in...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Some of those look just like the previously compiled stuff , like how UNLZEXE makes an .old file. The RLEW would be interesting, I bet it deals with the FINALE.CKx type stuff.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

From John Romero's formspring.me profile:

Question:
In the recently discovered pre-release version of Commander Keen 1 (http://bit.ly/9Pl0qW) there's a cutscene of a Vorticon stealing some parts of Keen's spaceship. Why isn't this cutscene in the released version?
John Romero's answer:
I don't remember why we didn't include it, but it probably had to do with not having a proper place for it in the game. We've never been big on cinematics.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Your babysitter has been kidnapped!

Are you a bad enough dude to rescue your babysitter?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Calvero wrote: John Romero's answer:
I don't remember why we didn't include it, but it probably had to do with not having a proper place for it in the game. We've never been big on cinematics.
Not to mention that you'd have to sit through the cinematic every single time you wanted to read the story. Not the biggest issue in the world, but still a potential irritant.