Origin of the name "Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket"

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Origin of the name "Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket"

Post by ckguy »

3D Realms Site wrote:The "Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket" comes from a George Carlin routine about instead of deodorant, people could put bay leaves under each arm-doesn't stop the sweating, but you smell like soup. Someone smells a soup smell, and the other person goes, "No, I'm 'Bean-with-Bacon'." Obscure reference, to be sure.
I just bumped into this while browsing though the "A Look Back at Commander Keen" pages on 3drealms.com, and thought it was kinda funny. Now, I'm sure I'll get someone (=KeenRush) who'll say, "LOL, you didn't know this?!" but I thinks it's interesting/obscure enough to mention.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Interesting. Translated bean with bacon is a Dutch proverb. It refers someone who joins something a group/competition for the fun if it. I always thought it had something to do with this but it must be coincidence.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hah, I've read that, but I didn't remember it anymore. :dopekeen

Seems like an interesting coincidence with Dutch.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Djaser wrote:Interesting. Translated bean with bacon is a Dutch proverb. It refers someone who joins something a group/competition for the fun if it. I always thought it had something to do with this but it must be coincidence.
Well, more like joining a competition but "not for real", you're just an extra or something like that. At least, that's how I learnt it.

I thought this proverb existed in English too? At least, I assumed that once I saw the rocket's name in Keen.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

DaVince wrote:
Djaser wrote:Interesting. Translated bean with bacon is a Dutch proverb. It refers someone who joins something a group/competition for the fun if it. I always thought it had something to do with this but it must be coincidence.
Well, more like joining a competition but "not for real", you're just an extra or something like that. At least, that's how I learnt it.
The use of this proverb is not strictly related to a competition.

And no it doesn't exicst in English. Google it.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Retodon8
Vortininja

Re: Origin of the name "Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket"

Post by Retodon8 »

CK Guy wrote:Now, I'm sure I'll get someone (=KeenRush) who'll say, "LOL, you didn't know this?!" but I thinks it's interesting/obscure enough to mention.
I'll do a variation of it:
Didn't you know this???
Retodon8
Sheep happens
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

His ship was built using "old soup cans," in the original story, right? One of the varieties of soup that exists is "Bean with Bacon." Whenever I buy a can of it, I make a big deal that I'm purchasing "Commaner Keen soup" and my girlfriend rolls her eyes at me. :)

Bean-with-Bacon Soup!

So far as I knew, "Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket" was just a clever name based on the soup-can origin of the ship... it could have been "Cream of Brocolli Megarocket" but that doesn't sound nearly as cool, does it?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I didn't knew all that stuff either :).
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

XkyRauh wrote:His ship was built using "old soup cans," in the original story, right? One of the varieties of soup that exists is "Bean with Bacon." Whenever I buy a can of it, I make a big deal that I'm purchasing "Commaner Keen soup" and my girlfriend rolls her eyes at me. :)
Nerd. :lol
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

NERD?!

I always figured the same thing Xky did. That the "Bean with Bacon Megarocket" was simply the kinds of cans he used in the production of the ship.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That's genius! :D I didn't even think of that, seriously! Now it all makes a lot more sense.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Galaxieretter wrote:NERD?!
Clearly a joke. 8)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

That the "Bean with Bacon Megarocket" was simply the kinds of cans he used in the production of the ship.
I was also under that impression.

The Dutch proverb is an intriguing coincidence.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Commander Spleen wrote:The Dutch proverb is an intriguing coincidence.
Clearly not. George Carlin knew all along. :old He knows everything.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

:) He does? We should contact him to get a script for TUIT, then...