Commander Keen in The Simpsons!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Link update as requested by RocketShark on IRC...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12124596/so.wmv
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:It's really into 21 seasons? :eek :bloody :sick

The riff is an uncanny resemblance to slug village or wherever. It sounds like a remix even. Is Matt a keen fan? :) Don't mark it off as a coincidence because I know he's into some obscure awesome stuff, like Bone comics and references to Mayan mythology 8)

edit: checked the IMF soundtrack cuz I just had to after hearing this, and the track is indeed called oasis :dopefish
that is why i stopped watching it. every season drags on and on and the characters do not get any older. it is time that this show ended to keep it draging on with the same plot makes no sense 22 seasons old and nothing changes. sorry simpsons you have lost me
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

DaVince wrote:I'm sure that's existing music. The reverse may even be true and Keen's music was inspired by this...
Levellass wrote:Is it possible Bobby Prince copied the Keen song from another source, like he did with ZZTOP.IMF in Cosmo? We could be hearing the song that inspired the IMF.
Yeah, quite a few of Bobby Prince's songs were very nearly copied from existing songs (like "Immigrant Song" showing up in Blake Stone), so I'm going to go with these guys and say that both Oasis and this song in The Simpsons are probably derived from an earlier source.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

Turns out that whole sequence is a reference to the movie Sideways, so the music is too probably. But Sideways was after galaxy I'm pretty sure.

TNHE PLONT THINKENS
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

PandoricaShark wrote:Turns out that whole sequence is a reference to the movie Sideways
That was a terrible film! "Rated 'Funniest Film of the Year' by FHM!" shouted the DVD box - yeah, don't trust film-reviews from a lads-mag...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

It's very possible that the song used in the Simpsons and the one in Slug Village share a common ancestor, especially considering Prince was an occasional ripoff and the Simpsons often parody obscure things.

My initial impression was... They're in the same key and have a similar feel, but are very different tunes upon further listening.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Let us not forget his many... homages, such as the ZZTop in Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.