Where can I buy or dowload commanderkeen games?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Fleexy wrote:If you're interested, I have a cracked copy of Keen 6. No creature question!
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't let iD hear you say that!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Since the game is not available in a regular store, I see no problem in downloading it. They can all be found online, if one googles commander keen download or something like that.

I love the games. If there was a physical copy of the game that I can get in a store I would. A CD or floppy. But there is not. So I'd indiscriminately download them as I would download um... kuliwil's avatar with save target as ^^
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

hmm, actually, I don't know who would sue you actually for dl'ing Keen 6 - there is confusion even on who is the distributor!

But still, all of them are for sale still (bar the shareware ones)
coolerthenyou
Grunt

Post by coolerthenyou »

I tryed downloading them from bipship but it did not work. Kept saying zipped folder is corrupted or invalid. =/
Commander keen for life. =)
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

coolerthenyou wrote:I tryed downloading them from bipship but it did not work. Kept saying zipped folder is corrupted or invalid. =/
are you on dial-up? I used to have zip files continually corrupted when I was on dial-up.

Try borrowing a broadband connection. Library for example.
coolerthenyou
Grunt

Post by coolerthenyou »

I have a DSL connection. Maybe it's my virus software?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

DHeadshot wrote:Keen 1-3
Keen 4-5
Keen Dreams
KEEP IN MIND that it is MORE EXPENSIVE simply to buy JUST the Vorticons series from 3D Realms (Commander Keen 1 - 3) than it is to buy the ENTIRE COMMANDER KEEN COLLECTION from ID Software via Steam.

In other words, 3D Realms is ripping you off hardcore. $12 on the 3D Realms website for all the games vs the $5 it is from ID Software on Steam.

Buy Commander Keen on Steam. Support ID Software. Down with 3D Realms! >:
Levellass wrote:Only Tom is allowed to sell Keen.
What the hell are you talking about?
DHeadshot wrote:You'll never get Duke Nukem Forever with that attitude!
What the hell are YOU talking about? You must be joking.
Fleexy wrote:If you're interested, I have a cracked copy of Keen 6. No creature question!
OMGGG!!!11111 REALLY? I NEED A COPY OF THAT! OMG I CAN'T PLAY KEEN 6 BECAUSE IT ALWAYS ASK FOR MONTERS AND I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES! PLEASE PM ME A LINK, THANKS FLEEEX!

And by the way cooler-than-thaou, I would give you a link to a site where you could simply DOWNLOAD all the games, but since you are such a cool story more than I, I'll just leave you to your more-awesome devices. :D
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Galaxieretter wrote:
Levellass wrote:Only Tom is allowed to sell Keen.
What the hell are you talking about?
DHeadshot wrote:You'll never get Duke Nukem Forever with that attitude!
What the hell are YOU talking about? You must be joking.
Someone's not getting a few obvious jokes here... :foot
Wow look at me I'm lurking
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Galaxieretter wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:Keen 1-3
Keen 4-5
Keen Dreams
KEEP IN MIND that it is MORE EXPENSIVE simply to buy JUST the Vorticons series from 3D Realms (Commander Keen 1 - 3) than it is to buy the ENTIRE COMMANDER KEEN COLLECTION from ID Software via Steam.
hahaha, just a note that I'd like to add to Galaxieretter's buying advice: if you are BUYING Keen 1 or 4 you really are being ripped off - they are shareware - you are safe to download it for free.
Galaxieretter wrote: OMGGG!!!11111 REALLY? I NEED A COPY OF THAT! OMG I CAN'T PLAY KEEN 6 BECAUSE IT ALWAYS ASK FOR MONTERS AND I DON'T KNOW THE NAMES! PLEASE PM ME A LINK, THANKS FLEEEX!
I think that fleexy posted that because coolerthenyou is new to Keen - he might not know. Good work Fleex ;)

EDIT (forgot to address a question there :crazy ):
coolerthenyou wrote:I have a DSL connection. Maybe it's my virus software?
I don't think virus software can corrupt zips like that? What program are you using to unzip these files? And on what OS?
coolerthenyou
Grunt

Post by coolerthenyou »

I don't know what program I'm using. I just go to bipship and click download and it asks me if I want to open or save the file, I clicked open, then it trys to dowload and says corrupted or invalid file. I'm running on windows XP. Thanks

Rachel
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

What you should try is click save instead of open and save it somewhere you'll be able to find easily, like your desktop. After it's done downloading, right click on it and select 'Extract All...' and once that's done, you should be able to play it just fine.

Edit: And make sure you download version 1.4 EGA if it's Keen 4, 5 or 6 - it's pretty much the standard.

Another edit: And you should probably also check out DOSBox once you get the zip file working - it's far better than running straight through XP, and you'll be able to hear the music/adlib sounds, too.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Mink wrote:What you should try is click save instead of open and save it somewhere you'll be able to find easily, like your desktop. After it's done downloading, right click on it and select 'Extract All...' and once that's done, you should be able to play it just fine.
Ah, that'd be it. Well spotted mink :)

Mink mentioned 1.4EGA, so to save you some time, here's the link for that version from the Keen Wiki. You might be interested in that actually, the address is http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page (NO CHEATING!!!! :P)

Happy Keening Rachel! :D

Oh, and just some advice, if you've never used DOSBox before and aren't familiar with DOS, DO NOT MOUNT YOUR ENTIRE "C:" DRIVE! (before someone says I'm stating the obvious: I know that it gives you that warning, but still, you can't stress that enough. It's a bad idea unless you are 100% sure what you are doing!)
I've never deleted or corrupted anything by doing it, but accidents can happen in an unfamiliar situation. I went in knowing what not to do!
coolerthenyou
Grunt

Post by coolerthenyou »

I did everything you guys told me to do. I saved it, put it on the desktop, but when I tryed to extract the files it poped up a message saying "No files were extracted". Nothing was in them >: . Is there somthing wrong with his site? Thanks AGAIN.

Rachel
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

coolerthenyou wrote:I did everything you guys told me to do. I saved it, put it on the desktop, but when I tryed to extract the files it poped up a message saying "No files were extracted". Nothing was in them >: . Is there somthing wrong with his site? Thanks AGAIN.

Rachel
did you try the link I copied in from the Keen Wiki? (or does someone know if that's the same?)

what file exactly are you trying to download? If you post up the links we (or just I if no-one else wants to) might be able to put together some screenshots on what to do. :)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

coolerthenyou wrote:I have a DSL connection. Maybe it's my virus software?
Why are you downloading viruses? :dead

(Okay, this is something language related... You probably meant anti-virus. :P)
Wow look at me I'm lurking