What Keen games are you currently playing?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Bump. Keen 2 had once, long ago, come off as difficult and scary to me, and I recently tried it again, and it turned out to be very easy (turn the lights off, duh). And with that, the only ones I haven't beaten yet are Keen 4-6 on hard mode. That's what I'm busy with right now.

In fact, I haven't played Keen 5 that much and hadn't even beaten it on Normal, but now that I'm playing it (I'm planning to skip beating it on Normal, opting for Hard first), I must say that the level design is really amazing.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Mystery of Isis 2
DITD Community Levelpack
The Eight Accumulators
Clouds Unseen
Shmaynoria
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Yeah Keen5 is surely the best official game!!
I am currently marvelling at both Fall Up and Retrosis, and also finally giving KeenZ a proper play after numerous years. I also find myself revisiting Yorphius II on a regular-ish basis!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Benvolio wrote:I also find myself revisiting Yorphius II on a regular-ish basis!
I can understand that, it has some of the best designed keen levels of all time.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:I can understand that, it has some of the best designed keen levels of all time.
When I try to run Yorphius II in DosBox I get this error message:
Illegal command: %CK1Patch.
I have downloaded this game from three different locations: KeenWiki, Bipship and Beyond the Pogo and I get this same error from all three downloads.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I had the same problem. I think there's a % sign in the batch file that shouldn't be there, which you can just delete to make CKPatch run. I'm pretty sure that's what I did, if I'm remembering right.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

StupidBunny wrote:I had the same problem. I think there's a % sign in the batch file that shouldn't be there, which you can just delete to make CKPatch run. I'm pretty sure that's what I did, if I'm remembering right.
That is what I did and now the game works. I already have six levels complete and have two of the four actuators. This mod is a hell of a lot simplier than Keenrush's next three mods. When I complete this, I will probably go back to playing Mystery on Isis IIa, DITD Community Levelpack, The Eight Accumulators and Clouds Unseen.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

FYI, I've updated the Yorphius II download on the wiki, so poor Syllypryde will be the last to have to suffer!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Mystery of Isis IIa- I am on level 8 - Command Center, cannot get past it.
DITD Community Levelpack - completed easy twice, fifteen levels complete on normal, stuck on Stalagburn Caverns, The Volcano and Impossible Palace
The Eight Accumulators- completed easy twice, normal now complete, stopped being a point hog in Well of Wonders and saved the last accumulator.
Keen 9 - For kicks playing Elevator Access Station, The Krodacian Overlabs and The Warpcore on hard.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Got past Isis No Ending!!!!!!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I got my old computer back and played me some Keen 8. Kinda forgot how fun it could be.
A Kick in the Pants
Vortininja

Post by A Kick in the Pants »

I'm playing The Universe is Toast. But I still like to play the old ones...(I think I've played the originals far more often, though... :o )