Keen 6 Glitch - Bloog Control Centre

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Keen 6 Glitch - Bloog Control Centre

Post by Commander Spleen »

This I discovered this glitch in the early- to mid-nineties. The eyeball seemed like a good saving checkpoint, but when I died and reloaded the game my folly was realised. It's interesting that nobody else seems to have mentioned it, so here it is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjXVBz_-8TY
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I read about this somewhere a long time ago about this bug, and then one time when I was playing it, I forgot and saved the game there, then as I jumped over I died on the electricity zapper things. Then I reloaded the game and was like Ah, Sh1t, now I remember and I had to just randomly walk around until I died then started the level back over. :dead
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Couldn't you just move left/right far enough that Keen dropped back to the ground, re-save the game, re-load it, and be fine? :P
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, I discovered this too -- I always saved just at that point because as said, it's a convenient saving point. :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

XkyRauh wrote:Couldn't you just move left/right far enough that Keen dropped back to the ground, re-save the game, re-load it, and be fine? :P
Um ... maybe ??? :dopekeen
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Why does this glitch happen? Does anyone have an idea?

And thanks for the video, it's one thing to read about it but another thing to see it.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Absolutely no idea. :confused Can't remember if it's just that spot or if it happens on every eye, I think it was every eye but I'm too lazy to check. Still strange, as one'd think there's nothing special in those eyes.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

heh I remember running into this one by accident as well
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

What an odd glitch. I think I remember being vaguely aware of something like this, or at least it seems kind of familiar. I could be wrong, though. Anyway, I'm also curious as to why it happens. I can't think of any reason...
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

This glitch has actually gotten me several times before, and it's unbelievably irritating. If you walk and hop around a bit you can actually find where the door is, thus setting you back where you want to be. But usually the only option you have is to die. :(
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Xky wrote:Couldn't you just move left/right far enough that Keen dropped back to the ground, re-save the game, re-load it, and be fine? :P
That is unquestionably the perfect solution. You don't even need to move around much, just climb up the stalk a bit. How is it so easy to overlook such an option? :crazy
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

elecdude33 wrote:Anyway, I'm also curious as to why it happens. I can't think of any reason...
My gut tells me it's because those eyeballs are a sliding pole immediately above a semi-solid platform (a platform you can jump down from).
The inner workings of those two things may conflict just enough to screw up the camera when saving.
There are those other instances of bugs causing the camera to go off-track, so although I'd say the camera system is quite solid, it doesn't take a miracle to make it go screwy either. :)

Suddenly I have to think about jumping down from elevator platforms on their way down.
That never quite works as intended (by me anyway) either. :)
Retodon8
Sheep happens