The ubiquitous Keen maps ...

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

The ubiquitous Keen maps ...

Post by ckguy »

... who made them? when? how?

You know the ones I'm talking about - they seem to be the same set used everywhere, CC314, Beyond the Pogo, KeenWiki, Commander-Keen.com, etc. Does anybody know who made these, when, and how? Did they pain-stakingly piece together many screenshots?

Well, I'm actually not *positive* that they're all the same set of levels, just pretty sure, 'cause Cape Canavorta in Keen 3 (the one with all the vortininjas, the barracks, and the brig) has a mysterious extra Keen in the brig part just before the exit.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

The name I've seen everywhere is Maarten Witkam -- I have no idea about him, however. I don't know what his Keen name was, or if he's still around. But I think not. The pics were already around before I joined, they're quite old probably. I think they've probably been made screenshot by screenshot, which is quite an achievement. There were no graphical editors back then (at least not for Keen 4-6 and Dreams) and TED didn't work with the games yet, either (I think).
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Yeah, back before KeenWright came out, we had the good ol' ASCII-based Keenedit.exe. I remember opening up existing Keen3 levels and writing down the codes for the corners of signposts and such, so that I could add them to my own custom-made levels. :)

I believe KeenRush is correct on the name--it looks familiar.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Yes, that name does sound vaguely familiar. That must have been intense (= extremely frustrating) to make all of those maps from screenshots. Major props to Maarten, whoever you are.

Old text-mode KeenEdit, by Jeremy H-something. I remember checking that out once ... I believe it was the only Keen-related creation that someone tried to make money off of. We're much nicer nowadays, aren't we? :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't think it was frustrating to him, I think he liked the task, can't see someone going through such huge task with determination and good results while hating it. :)

Ah, yeah, that editor -- I tried (and succeeded, but it was slow) making a few levels in it before finding out adurdin's KeenWright... Is it the only early Keen editor besides adurdin's? Or are there more editors? :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Keen Make-Over was pretty early on, not sure exactly when.

(edit) Wait, didn't you use KMO for Yorphius II? :confused
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Sh1t, I forgot that one entirely. Seems I've wanted to forget all about it. :D Yeah, I used that. So that one's probably made before adurdin's editor or later, but probably not far away -- I think KeenEdit did exist when I made Yorphius II. Why wasn't I using it? Don't ask me...
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

As far as I know, KeenWright was out in its first version, along with KMO and the old KeenEdit when KeenRush and I did our first mods. :)