Crooked Bloogs

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Crooked Bloogs

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Ever notice that everything about bloogs are crooked? Seriously, the doors are crooked, the computers are crooked; as are the windows, the floors, the buildings, the clubs, and the overall general architecture. Not to mention the teeth, claws and everything. Really. What's up with that??
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I mean, am I right?

Airline food. Really. What's up with that?? I mean, am I right?

Sorry... :P

I always liked that about the artistic style of Keen 6...it definitely added to the cartoony atmosphere that the game was going for. It's kind of suggested in the game manual that the reason the architecture is always all skewed is because the Bloogs are idiots and suck at implementing the Fleex's designs, but it looks more like the Bloogs were all just really into modern art and taking some creative liberties.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Um, I thought I remembered that the story said something about that, like the Bloogs being not that good with measuring or something, but maybe I just imagined that.
It's definetly to make them look less intelligent: They can't even build straight.
Also, as Tom Hall pointed out, one of his style influences was Chuck Jones, and if you watch those old cartoons, everything is crooked there too, to make it look funnier.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Their one giant eye can't help with perspective. And their big wing-shaped hands can't make them great at working tools.

While we're on the subject... Bips are supposed to be these master engineers, right? So why are the bloogs building everything?! Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Hmmm. Good point. On a similar subject, why is it that Bips on goplats can't be stunned?

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

For gameplay reasons, to prevent what can happen in keen 2: killing a scrub in a certain situation can ruin a puzzle and make the level unbeatable. Otherwise, Keen's not going to stun a bip who's helping him out :p
Their one giant eye can't help with perspective.
:lol That is an awesome idea and probably true.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:While we're on the subject... Bips are supposed to be these master engineers, right? So why are the bloogs building everything?! Image
I'm pretty sure that the description said it was the Fleexes, not the Bips, who were the master engineers. (The Bips are described more as mercenaries, and that they "just happened to hook up with the Bloogs.") I always kind of assumed that the Fleexes were simply master engineers but lacked the brute strength necessary to execute their designs, and that the Bloogs performed all of the manual labor, resulting in a butchering of their work since the Bloogs aren't smart enough to build stuff competently. (Plus the clumsy hands and monocular vision thing. :P )
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Nah, I really meant the bips (tiny yellow guys). Fleexies (AKA John Carmack) are geniuses in architecture, but they never go out in sunlight so other aliens have to build their buildings for them.

I think bloogs are making the houses and stuff, but bips are making machines like the goplats and flying saucers and stuff. Or maybe they're just operating them because they're the only creatures tiny enough to work the controls. Their entire existence is dedicated to sitting on a moving goplat all day long. So while they're doing this and the fleex's are making blueprints in their basements, the bloogs are out there running the world... how sad.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

StupidBunny wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:While we're on the subject... Bips are supposed to be these master engineers, right? So why are the bloogs building everything?! Image
I'm pretty sure that the description said it was the Fleexes, not the Bips, who were the master engineers. (The Bips are described more as mercenaries, and that they "just happened to hook up with the Bloogs.") I always kind of assumed that the Fleexes were simply master engineers but lacked the brute strength necessary to execute their designs, and that the Bloogs performed all of the manual labor, resulting in a butchering of their work since the Bloogs aren't smart enough to build stuff competently. (Plus the clumsy hands and monocular vision thing. :P )
Keen GBC Manual wrote:Fleex: The Fleex are amongst the finest engineers in the universe, having designed all of the buildings on Fribbulus Xax. Unfortunately, the Bloogs built them, devastating the sleek and elegant designs. The Fleex have very sensitive eyes (a natural consequence of spending a lifetime in a basement lab). To compensate, they've developed an oversized ear which allows them to hear other creatures as they move around.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

StupidBunny wrote:It's kind of suggested in the game manual that the reason the architecture is always all skewed is because the Bloogs are idiots and suck at implementing the Fleex's designs, but it looks more like the Bloogs were all just really into modern art and taking some creative liberties.
The Bloogs weren't into much as far as I can see. "Modern" or not, all design elements would have probably been made up by the fleex.

This ALSO explains why there are random "floating" conveyor belts in the middle of nowhere, AND not to mention conveyor belts moving toward each other. It's like the Bloogs were looking at the plans on a table and the plans kept getting rotated, so every time another bloog came to look at the plans, they were so stupid to realize that the blueprints are at the wrong angle and go back to building and or rotate the plans again. :dopefish

I also see the bloogs as being barely sentient. For example, you would have the surface bloogs which are barely intelligent and then the dark dwelling bloogs that live in the underground passage through the cancerous growth under the earth. (Doom anyone?) I don't see the underground bloogs being smarter than the ones on the surface who actually BUILT the structures. Not only that, but some of the subterranean dwellers have degenerated to such a point that Mortimer McMire had to build a shell over top of their growth-domes with warning signs for all semi-intelligent life of "Do not enter." The bloogs, it would seem, don't even understand self-danger and live in these pits of well... hell if you will.
(Also why there are modern guard posts built on nasty growth-tunnels with teleporters. Mortimer came through and fixed things up a bit.)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Can someone explain me what he meant with "crooked"?
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

Look at the switches in Keen 6 or at some buildings and you may quickly notice that they are not squared, few things in Keen 6 have the right proportions.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

While we're on the subject... Bips are supposed to be these master engineers, right? So why are the bloogs building everything?!
It's like I was saying to Bill Gates as he was debugging my laptop, good companies have their best people do the gruntwork.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Galaxieretter wrote:
StupidBunny wrote:It's kind of suggested in the game manual that the reason the architecture is always all skewed is because the Bloogs are idiots and suck at implementing the Fleex's designs, but it looks more like the Bloogs were all just really into modern art and taking some creative liberties.
The Bloogs weren't into much as far as I can see. "Modern" or not, all design elements would have probably been made up by the fleex.

This ALSO explains why there are random "floating" conveyor belts in the middle of nowhere, AND not to mention conveyor belts moving toward each other. It's like the Bloogs were looking at the plans on a table and the plans kept getting rotated, so every time another bloog came to look at the plans, they were so stupid to realize that the blueprints are at the wrong angle and go back to building and or rotate the plans again. :dopefish

I also see the bloogs as being barely sentient. For example, you would have the surface bloogs which are barely intelligent and then the dark dwelling bloogs that live in the underground passage through the cancerous growth under the earth. (Doom anyone?) I don't see the underground bloogs being smarter than the ones on the surface who actually BUILT the structures. Not only that, but some of the subterranean dwellers have degenerated to such a point that Mortimer McMire had to build a shell over top of their growth-domes with warning signs for all semi-intelligent life of "Do not enter." The bloogs, it would seem, don't even understand self-danger and live in these pits of well... hell if you will.
(Also why there are modern guard posts built on nasty growth-tunnels with teleporters. Mortimer came through and fixed things up a bit.)
:eek Wow that's in-depth!

kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Galaxieretter wrote: I also see the bloogs as being barely sentient. For example, you would have the surface bloogs which are barely intelligent and then the dark dwelling bloogs that live in the underground passage through the cancerous growth under the earth. (Doom anyone?) I don't see the underground bloogs being smarter than the ones on the surface who actually BUILT the structures. Not only that, but some of the subterranean dwellers have degenerated to such a point that Mortimer McMire had to build a shell over top of their growth-domes with warning signs for all semi-intelligent life of "Do not enter." The bloogs, it would seem, don't even understand self-danger and live in these pits of well... hell if you will.
A homage to the Time Machine if I ever saw one - brilliant Galaxieretter!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."