Why didn't the Keen games utilize their palette better?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

DHeadshot wrote:The palette to which you refer is the default Windows 16-colour palette - if you run a windowed Dos program in XP, these are the colours used. Similarly if you change your display to 16-colours.
Weird. Well I tried the Windows 3.1 version of paint, but it didn't dither. Probably since I had windows set to 32 bit instead of 4 bit (16 colors). Not sure if many newer computers can go down that low without help. Mine right now only has 16 and 32 bit to choose from. Oh well. I'll just have to improvise as I usually do in that area with art.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

guynietoren wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:The palette to which you refer is the default Windows 16-colour palette - if you run a windowed Dos program in XP, these are the colours used. Similarly if you change your display to 16-colours.
Weird. Well I tried the Windows 3.1 version of paint, but it didn't dither. Probably since I had windows set to 32 bit instead of 4 bit (16 colors). Not sure if many newer computers can go down that low without help. Mine right now only has 16 and 32 bit to choose from. Oh well. I'll just have to improvise as I usually do in that area with art.
It should never dither the fill tool...[Edit - forgot the >16bit colours... :dead ]
It dithers B/W properly though - you can at least do that...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Well just not as I remembered it working.
I did remember the fill tool using dithered colors. But I used Win 3.14. Not sure if that's any different.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

3.14? Windows Pi? :confused
Cereal Board!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Grr. Now I feel bad for making that reference without having proof of it. I'd have to ask my dad if he still has his old install disks for that. I remember when he bought it, along with DOS 6.0. It didn't occur to me that it was the same number for Pi till just now.

Man I hope he hasn't trashed those disks by now. This could be sweet.
Would basically be Win3.1 with a service pack.

It's possible I'm thinking of 3.11, but was sure there was a 4 in there...
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

guynietoren wrote:Grr. Now I feel bad for making that reference without having proof of it. I'd have to ask my dad if he still has his old install disks for that. I remember when he bought it, along with DOS 6.0. It didn't occur to me that it was the same number for Pi till just now.

3.14 doesn't exist, must have been 3.11.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

DaVince wrote:
guynietoren wrote:Grr. Now I feel bad for making that reference without having proof of it. I'd have to ask my dad if he still has his old install disks for that. I remember when he bought it, along with DOS 6.0. It didn't occur to me that it was the same number for Pi till just now.

3.14 doesn't exist, must have been 3.11.
Microsoft often tack a few numbers to the end for updates etc, so it may have been something like 3.1104...
Cereal Board!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

No, I'm quite sure they didn't for Windows 3.1/3.11. Those were likely the only versions around; heck, 3.11 was already an update on 3.1 where they attached a 1 at the end.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

remember that this topic is not about windows 3.xx
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Levellass wrote:
I think some of the younger members here, no offense, don't quite understand how spectacular Commander Keen was at the time it was made.
It was color, the screen moved. You had a whole big story and cheats. There were THREE games in the series. Incredible.
That's exactly what I said right before the quote...
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

tulip wrote:remember that this topic is not about windows 3.xx
You're right, could you split it?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

No, because I don't think you repeatedly stating there is no 3.14 and guynitoren saying he isn't sure anymore doesn't warrant for a new topic I think. Also I'm sick of replies to my moderational remarks. They're not meant to be the topic of a discussion. It's my job if a derailment goes on to stop it. I know how to split topics, don't worry.
So unless guynitoren actually finds a copy of 3.14 there's no new topic, and please everybody refrain from replying to this particular post.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

DaVince wrote:No, I'm quite sure they didn't for Windows 3.1/3.11. Those were likely the only versions around; heck, 3.11 was already an update on 3.1 where they attached a 1 at the end.
What about Windows 3.2?