Little known secrets?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Little known secrets?

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I am wondering how well known these are.

First of all, I'm sure youve all heard of the Impossible Pogo Trick and the Impossible Bullet Trick; but do you know any "tricks" for Keens 1-3? There is at least one. If you run off an edge and jump just as you're falling off, you'll do a little mini-jump even though you just fell off. This mini-jump does not take you very high even if u hold CTRL the whole time, but u can move sideways at the normal speed. It's useful for crossing gaps when there's a very low ceiling, but i find it hard to do.

Lastly, you know the Sydney of K2? link: http://www.dosclassics.com/keen/map.php?a=2&l=7
See those 3 Stuffed Vorticons? They sit on some red blocks. If you stand under them, then pogo hard, u get a blank message and the block(s) u hit disappear, making it easy to get the points. IDK the exact proceedure for this and it doesn't always work, but i know u at least gotta be standing still at first, then pogo up into it. NE1 know of this and if it might work on other blocks? And perhaps this is a sorta' tribute to Mario with whom they first used the Keen engine.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

I think it works on any block in the game...
You have to jump, hit your head on it, and then pull out the pogo just as you hit it...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yep, that's correct, the collision areas are different for those sprites, causing Keen to go through one tile for one pixel. The empty message boxes appear because those tiles still have accidentally the yorp message box value.

Yeah, that mini-jump... Never done it purposefully, actually, only by accident, don't even know how to do it. :) But I guess it could be used for evil level design tricks... :evil
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

But I guess it could be used for evil level design tricks...
Exactamundo there. It could also be a funny story element:
:yorp : "How do we cross this gap? The ceiling is too low!"
:) : "Since ID won't let me take a big step, we'll just have to use...the MiNI-jUmP~!"

I know KeenEmpire will back me up here.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

That might be too evil, even for an evil level - forcing the player to utilize bugs. It might, however, be used as the entrance to a secret area, but that would still be somewhat questionable.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

I wouldn't call it a bug--a bug is a problem/glithc in the program. Keens4-6 have places where you should use the Impossible Pogo Trick right?

Wasn't there a K123 mod or 2 that used some other kinda trick? I can't remember now, but I vaguely recall this level where you had to like go around/underneath everything somehow.......
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

CK Guy wrote:That might be too evil, even for an evil level - forcing the player to utilize bugs. It might, however, be used as the entrance to a secret area, but that would still be somewhat questionable.
*is quite used to lemmings levels that rely on bugs, so does not object to that idea*