Stealthy's Keen 4 Stealth Challenge

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Stealthy's Keen 4 Stealth Challenge

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I decided to try to play through Keen 4 on hard, without shooting any enemies or splatting any skypests. No in level saves. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be, and I've been having a lot of close calls.

I'm uploading all the videos to youtube. Here's the first one. I'm already through Crystalus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7JhQC3g2nk

Some of the deaths I had were kind of funny, but I'm only uploading the good videos. If any of you are curious about the deaths, let me know and I'll post some of the funnier ones.

-Stealthy71088
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

pretty darn good :) I subbed.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

impressive
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Can't wait to see the pyramid of the forbidden on hard mode without shooting. :D

I would have killed some of those flying pests though.

I just realize that crystalis is not that hard on hard mode compared to the secret pyramid. I once beat it on hard. Had to save a lot though. :/
It's kinda interesting how that bird got caught.stuck at the dropdown in the crystalis level.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

You can't pass Pyramid of the Forbidden without shooting, as there are slugs that block narrow passages. I think the same occurs in certain other levels, too.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Yeah, IIRC you have to stun arachnuts blocking the passages in Sand Yego.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Yeah, I considered doing this a while ago and then thought long and hard about the K4 levels and decided it won't be worth it. It is marginally possible, possible, and I wish you the best of skill in your attempt :)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Nospike wrote:Yeah, IIRC you have to stun arachnuts blocking the passages in Sand Yego.
That's technically OK in a Pacifist challenge, since they get back up afterwards...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Grimson wrote:You can't pass Pyramid of the Forbidden without shooting, as there are slugs that block narrow passages. I think the same occurs in certain other levels, too.
That's the problem I'm having right now- There's slugs in narrow passages in the Pyramid of Shadows, the Pyramid of the Forbidden, the Pyramid of the Gnostiene Ancients. While there are some slugs and arachnuts in narrow passages in Sand Yego, I've found a way past them (It's just very tough.)

I also *think* I've found a way past the ones in the Pyramid of the Shadows too.

Does anyone know if the slugs can be jumped if you're close enough? I don't know their collision boxes, but I suspect you can.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

I've actually just been working with slug collision boxes: it may be VERY slightly possible, if done just at the right time, and the passage had clearance abouve just about half of Keen's hight, maybe requires a little more, though. That's just my estimate, though, from what I've been working with... it may be tough, but you could try it. Open up a new game, though. don't use your youtube copy. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, people.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

look stealthy, even mods can be completed without shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eximaV ... r_embedded
nothing usefull here
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Very cool! :) I've been thinking about doing mods too, both galaxy and vorticons. Not all of them are beatable without shooting though, so I'm toying with running them with my modded keen sprites with "super powers".
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I've reached a verdict. The Pyramid of Shadows is possible, except for the first poison slug on the second screen. It's the middle screen in the picture.

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/File:Ck4lv12.png

It's physically impossible to hop this slug. Is it permissible to turn on God mode, pass the slug, and turn it off again immediately after I've walked past it? I can beat the rest, including the slugs on the bridge (I have to be super sneaky to best those slugs, but I can't jump them either.)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

If the rest of the game is legit, I wouldn't care if you had one inch of game on god mode... then again I wouldn't find it legit if I was doing the run... but thats just because I'm a terrible perfectionist... :disguised

Oh, and for the record the hitbox (collision box) IS smaller when its in the "stretched-out" part of its crawl.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

GARGapplesauce wrote:Oh, and for the record the hitbox (collision box) IS smaller when its in the "stretched-out" part of its crawl.
Believe it or not, my problem in terms of jumping slugs is horizontal, not vertical. I can get on top of them (I think- it is kind of hard to tell moving that quickly) but Keen doesn't move fast enough to clear the slug.

With God mode on that slug I've gotten very close.... the rest of the level is doable, just incredibly tough without shooting. Poison Slugs are fast becoming the deadliest enemy in the run.