Stealthy's Keen 4 Stealth Challenge

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Mmm... well work at it :) you're doing an awesome job by the way.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Thanks. At this moment, I have everything except:

-Pyramid of Shadow (Coming)

-Well of Wishes (nothing new here)

-Sand Yego (I KNOW this is possible, just super hard. I can get to the third group of arachnuts)

-Isle of Fire

-Pyramid of Gnostiene Ancients (Not sure if possible)

-Pyramid of Forbidden (Pretty sure its impossible but I'm going to see what I can do anyway)

Edit: After doing more research, I've found that half of Sand Yego is possible. But only half. Once you get to the third group of arachnuts, you have to stun them- there's no room to jump, and I can't pull off one of my other tricks.
Last edited by Stealthy71088 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:34, edited 1 time in total.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Yeah, sure, I'd say it's fine if it's totally not possible to get past without God mode.
Alternatively, you can use the jump cheat for a split-second, as the hitbox of the slug is short enough that you can get past without God mode on. (I just tested this)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

It's quite entertaining to watch. Especially when you get that rush of anxiety right where you think your going to die but narrowly escape. Sorta like the thrill of doing Mario levels as fast as possible and come inches from dying multiple times in a row. Good job!
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Thanks! That's why I'm doing the challenge. It's incredibly exciting to skirt death by a hairline... or helmet line.

I just finished the Pyramid of Shadows. It took me ~ 100 tries to do, but I finally pulled it off. I used God mode for that one slug, because for whatever reason I couldn't coordinate turning off the jump cheat and jumping to the goplat while avoiding the blade trap. There were a couple close calls, but I pulled it off. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weglyJdnv44
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

that door trick is so cheap...
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

You can jump the slugs instead at the door, but then you'll die either due to the poison they leave behind, or because you'll get caught between two of them. They don't seem as motivated to walk off the screen when you're clearly visible, and not running back and forth through a door.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Stealthy71088 wrote:... It's incredibly exciting to skirt death by a hairline... or helmet line.
I love corny keen puns :p
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

To be honest, this is mostly how I always play keen. (though not on hard difficulty and w inlevel saving) but I usually don't shoot anything, which is why Ceilick mods are harder for me than for most I guess, because they are based on a lot of shooting enemies. But as shikadi shows, they're still beatable.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I used avoid shooting vorticons by all means possible while playing the Vorticon games, because I had learned in The Earth Explodes! that they aren't evil :bloody
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Grimson wrote:I used avoid shooting vorticons by all means possible while playing the Vorticon games, because I had learned in The Earth Explodes! that they aren't evil :bloody
Did you mean in KMD? Or am I just being stupid/forgetfull? :dopekeen :crazy
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Yeah. I thought that was revealed at the end of Keen3: Keen must die.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

When I play normally I won't shoot enemies if I don't feel its necessary. If they're in my way, if I think they pose a threat, or if maybe I'm just bored, I'll shoot them.

Here's Sand Yego. It forced me to use cheats three times! >:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clteNsA7Zow

However, there's still plenty of obstacles left to make it pretty difficult. Each of the arachnuts that didn't require cheats killed me so many times. All three require near perfect timing.

Anyway,

Does anyone know which treasure eater takes the green gem, or if there's some way I can beat it to the gem without shooting it? If that particular treasure eater goes to an optional part of the level, I could just try to avoid that spot to keep it from spawning.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

guynietoren wrote:Yeah. I thought that was revealed at the end of Keen3: Keen must die.
AND in Keen2. ;) The Vorticon Elder appears twice in that episode. Check out "Home B".
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

See. there's that "forgetful" part I was talking about... stupid small plot details... oh well, I stand corrected :D