Best Keen game

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

What's your favourite Keen game?

Keen 1
5%
Keen 2
1%
Keen 3
3%
Keen 4
41%
Keen 5
31%
Keen 6
16%
Keen Dreams
2%
Keen GBC
No votes

Total votes: 143

Silvermoth
Grunt

Post by Silvermoth »

Keen 4 was my first so I will have to say that one. :dopefish
Ceres
Grunt

Post by Ceres »

I like Keen 4 and Keen3.5 very much because many levels there have their scenery in nature: forests, groves, under earth and so on ;) And snails rule!

Keen 5 and Keen 6 are bombastic but I somehow don't like some of those futuristic levels that much.
And the first episode is great, really great, esp. among other very old games. But it's kinda too difficult for me (I mean Keen 2 and Keen 3) and the animation is a little bit tiresome ;)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm never completely sure which game I like most; I like them all to some extent, but usually I switch between 5 and 6 in terms of favorite. Keen 5 has awesome gameplay and I like the technological, hard-edged look in games. :) Keen 6, however, has probably the most creative and interesting characters and locations. I also love Keen 4, and can't really say there's anything I don't like about it. It has some pretty awesome environments.

The Invasion of the Vorticons series I've found to have a much more interesting premise, and although the graphics are more primitive the levels (at least in 1 and 2) are nonetheless fun to play. Keen 1 is too easy, however, and Keen 3 has the issues of really sub-par (okay, crappy) level design and WAY too much of that damn wallpaper. Even the Mangling Machine has purple wallpaper behind it. :barf Keen 2 is most likely my favorite among the first trilogy, because although the environments are a bit repetitive the levels are excellent and the characters are some of my favorites, Vorticon-wise.

Keen Dreams is okay, but I never found fighting slews of vegetables to be as fun as aliens and robots, and the environments aren't much fun, with a few exceptions. And I've never played Keen GBC as I do not own a Game Boy of any kind. Given what I've heard I have no interest in playing that episode anyway.

Overall, I still stick with my original assertion of Keen 6, I think. :) It has proven to have the most replay ability for me.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

keen 6. keen 1 was good, keen 2 gooder, keen 3 goodest. Dreams...i wont mention...keen 4 and 5 better...ken 6 for me is the best, they just kept getting better
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Why does this topic keep getting bumped!? :) All it does is remind me that I SHOULD HAVE VOTED FOR KEEN 2 *shoots self*
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

I think it's like what ezBoard does; it gets bumped to the top every time someone votes.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm not bumping this because I want to remind Xky, but to vote for his favourite.

A year or two ago I would have voted Keen 2 last, after all it was the last episode I played in my youth and I think I never completed it back then. but after I did some modding I now clearly vote for Keen 2.
The Vorticons trilogy was programmed nicer and more stable with smoother movements than the Galaxy series, and out of the three Vorticons games number three had the most bugs... that meep is programmed awful...
Keen 2 is the best of the three with the best enemy design, and the only one where the bridges (wich are there in the program of all three) were used.

Years ago I'd have voted for Keen 6 because I like the strange appearance of all the Creatures, I've always been a fan of those.
I bet most of the guys who voted for Keen 4 play Super Mario as well... it has those friendly graphics with Trees with faces and stuff... and although being a great game it had the least original Keen atmosphere.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I know, double post, but I came across this and I fits in this thread very well:

These are the results for KeenWiki's most popular pages. If this has anything to do with the actual popularity of the games themselves, then this would be the most representative list of Keen game popularity:

# Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle ‎(11,638 views)
# Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ‎(11,552 views)
# Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine ‎(9,363 views)
# Keen 1: Marooned on Mars ‎(9,362 views)
# Keen Dreams ‎(6,787 views)
# Keen 3: Keen Must Die! ‎(6,662 views)
# Keen 2: The Earth Explodes ‎(6,507 views)
# Keen GBC ‎(5,764 views)

And if so, this shows again that only a few know about the true quality of the Vorticons games.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

i can see why gbc is at the bottom :barf

i got the idea yesterdya completely out of the blue, that keen gbc is set in an alternate universe :p
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

[quote="grafix"]I always found the first three games too hard, Keen 4's theme didn't click for me, and I thought Keen 6 was slightly too complicated. Keen 5, on the other hand... my favourite Keen game by far. Shame they never made the third "Goodbye, Galaxy" game... :([/quote]

it wasn't that they never made the third goodbye galaxy episode, Aliens was supposed to be that episode but they changed it
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

I found keen 3 to be the most fun for me! Especially the military island had very neat level design :)
Second best would probably be keen1 because of the yorps!

Also, hello everybody! im new
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

As always, welcome to the boards, have a keen time.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah aloha matonen, may the bloogs never raid your pantry :p
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I tend to like the later Keen games more than the older ones, but that does not ruin my enjoyment of the others. Keen 5 is probably my favorite with keen 4 being a very close second. Keen's 6, 1, 2 all tie for 3rd, keen 3 in 6 place, and Keen Dreams in last. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. It took me months to even reach this decision because I just could not decide which games I liked the most and which games I liked the least. But here you go.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

heh, i just readed through this thread and it seems like that everybody hated keen 3! :(

Could somebody tell why the other ones are better :P

My list:
1. keen 3 (awesome level design !!)
2. keen 4
3. keen 1
4. keen 2
5. keen 5
6. keen 6 (i really didnt like this one >: )
7. keen dreams :barf

havent played keen gbc but i've heard that it sucks so i guess i dont need to!

I like the original trilogy better probably because keen 1 was my first game! I played it when i was 3

Also, currently playing MrBlack's keen 3 mappack, and i think the levels are actually better than the originals!

BTW The smileys are really keen!