Best Keen game

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

What's your favourite Keen game?

Keen 1
5%
Keen 2
1%
Keen 3
3%
Keen 4
41%
Keen 5
31%
Keen 6
16%
Keen Dreams
2%
Keen GBC
No votes

Total votes: 143

DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Don't judge if you haven't tried, I say. Unless it's obvious, but how are you so sure about a game until you played it for a bit?
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I actually liked keen dreams. It had it's annoying bits, and a lot of things that were just plain weird, but overall I liked it.

Keen GBC I have and don't like at all. It plays completely different from the other games, and almost all the enemies all act the same. Mortimer appears in the beginning of everything, but he doesn't do anything, and you never get to fight him, so it's kind of pointless.
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

Keen 4 all the way... Or Keen1. I have no clue... Its either Keen1 or 4

But since Keen1 was the first PC game I touched, Im going with it :)
Swamper
Grunt

Post by Swamper »

So difficult to choose between 5 and 6, but I went with 5.
DISCLAIMER: I don't actually hate anyone, but I like to offend people. It's compassion disguised as misanthropy.
-Conservative/Libertarian/Nationalist and proud of it!-
KeenCommander
Grunt

Post by KeenCommander »

Keen 4 is my most favored one, with 6 pulling in a close second.
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Post by Multimania »

Keen 5.

It was one of the first keen games I played. Additionally, I loved the music, graphics, enemies and general sense of awe one gets while playing it.

Following 5, probably 1. It was simple, it also has a high nostalgia factor, and it is a well put together game. It is also easy enough for me to complete it in one sitting with little effort, and being lazy and having no spare time, this makes it great for a quick play.

To be honest, tough, picking a favourite keen game is difficult, each keen game is unique, and they all have their own places in my heart.
SynDuo
Grunt

Post by SynDuo »

This would have been easier if it was what "era/episode" like the Invasion of the Vorticons series or Goodbye Galaxy series

Keen 5 was close but the alien design in Keen4 did it for me, though Keen5 has the catchiest game over music than any other game I can think about :3
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm the only one who voted for Keen 3? This is treason! And it shocks me that Keen 1 got so few votes... especially compared to Keen4. IMO Keen4 was pretty bad, the worst one I've played actually. But obviously my opinion will only count for one vote on this poll. :blush
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Keen 5. Because it looks coolest. And it was the first one I ever played (strangely, I recall it was on a shareware disk... how the hell did that happen?).
Xarthok
Vortininja

Post by Xarthok »

I like all of them :) But favourites must be Keen 4 and Keen Dreams...
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Keen 4, 5, and 6 are my favorites, but I since I had to choose just one, I voted for 4. I think it had the most levels. I really enjoyed Keen 5, but I was a bit disappointed when I first played it because it didn't have nearly as many levels as Keen 4. Still, it was a lot of fun. And Keen 6 was a blast - I loved the title and the gameplay, but didn't like the fact that they changed some of the sound effects and it had the annoying copy protection.
Xarthok
Vortininja

Post by Xarthok »

Actually Keen 5 has 11 levels and Keen 4 has 15 IIRC, not that big difference...
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Man, CK Guy, you know me better than I know myself. I want to change my vote to Keen2, now. :(
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Xarthok wrote:Actually Keen 5 has 11 levels and Keen 4 has 15 IIRC, not that big difference...
Actually, Keen 4 and Keen 6 both had 17 levels.
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Keen 4 is my favorite. I dunno if it's because it was the first one I played, but I just love the level design and I love how many different kinds of levels there are. 6 is also great, and maybe better than 5 by a narrow margin. 2 is the best Vorticons game, and then 1 was about average. Then I'd say Keen Dreams, which wasn't that good, but wasn't necessarily horrible either, and then I'd follow that with GBC. I think Keen 3 is the worst game in the series. It had a nice diversity of enemies, but the levels were just not fun at all and after Keen 2, the art direction seemed like a step backwards off a cliff and into a whale vagina. All that pink and cyan does not an alien planet make. :bloody