Best Keen game

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

What's your favourite Keen game?

Keen 1
5%
Keen 2
1%
Keen 3
3%
Keen 4
41%
Keen 5
31%
Keen 6
16%
Keen Dreams
2%
Keen GBC
No votes

Total votes: 143

DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I think a fairer poll would be to rank the Keen games in order from your favourite to least favourite. Mine would be:
Keen 4
Keen 1
Keen GBC
Keen 6
Keen 5
Keen Dreams
Keen 2
Keen 3
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

Have to say the poll results are quite surprising to me, thought myself it would've been a fight between Keen 1 and Keen 5. As per DHeadshot's suggestion, here's my order of the Keen games:

Keen 5 - Great level design, great music, great graphics, everything just seems to be about perfect in this episode (well it could've had more maps, but then again the ones that were in the game were generally HUUGE).
Keen 1 - First Keen game I played so obviously it ranks high up. Still think it has some quite clever level design and I think I really got somekind of trauma of all the times I died when I was young trying to kill the Vorticons. They still scare the heck out of me, more so than any modern "scary" FPS game. :lol
Keen 4 - Has quite a lot of maps to play and some nice graphics. Some maps have a bit repetitive level design but in many ways it's still a great game.
Keen 3 - I thought it had quite a nice variety of maps and graphics but some maps were just too confusing and difficult (not to mention one of the maps where you can get stuck if you take the keycards in the wrong order) so therefore it doesn't rank higher up.
Keen 6 - Somehow the atmosphere in this episode was just off... It did have some nice levels, but there was something weird about the episode I just didn't like. The only thing that made it rank higher than Keen 2 was that it had some quite interesting music.
Keen 2 - I generally found this episode to be dull in many ways. Most maps are just full of blue blocks with a few vorticons. Coupled together with boring enemies it has all the makings of a boring platformer. Despite this it did have some nice level design attempts, but the graphics just didn't cut it for me.
Keen Dreams - The last Keen game I played (and actually quite a lot after I played the rest, so it might be affecting my score a bit), and I can't really say I was sorry for having missed the episode. Not being able to kill the enemies just doesn't fit into my view of an ideal game. And the lack of a pogo just took away the feeling of freedom that the other Keen games generally have.

Haven't played Keen GBC (well I did try the first level, but that hardly counts) so I can't rank it.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Keen 3 just felt badly made to me. Keen 6 might have been rushed too and it was full of bugs but it was also a platform for new ideas - Keen 3 was like 1 and 2 but buggier.
Cereal Board!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A ranking poll would be far more informative; we could do a break down like happens in some forms of voting, best game, second best, and so on.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I like five the most. Six as second most. Fourth. Keen Dreams. Then the others... I suppose I like keen2 the least in the series.
Cuetlachtli
Grunt

Post by Cuetlachtli »

Definitely Commander Keen 4.

Of course the reasons are pure subjective. I believe mainly because it was my first computer game I've ever played (few years ago, when I had a black & white monitor, while all the rest of the world was already playing some 3D craps on their modern computers with color monitors :P ).

Then:
- I really loved pyramids in Keen 4. They remind me of my culture and civilization, destroyed wholly by European invaders.

- I really loved symbols on these pyramids. The sun, the moon, the eye, the hand. Deep.

- The mysterious Pyramid of the Forbidden. The pyramid which was standing alone, surrounded by trees and nobody knew how to get there.

And lots of other stuff. Mirage City was neat too. The monsters, the motive with the islands, gameplay, 3 possible levels of difficulty... Everything except the underwater level, which I never liked (the gameplay there sucked as hell for example, and it was nothing like the rest of the Keen).

Besides Keen 4 I also liked 5 & 6. Very good continuum (as well as 7, 8 and - let's hope - 9 - the unofficial TUIT Keens made by Ceilick and others).

I didn't really like Keens 1-3, the gameplay sucked big time. Although I think Keen 1 was the best of these 3 episodes. 2 & 3 are just weird (for me). But really, gameplay is terrible there.

And then... Commander Keen Dreams. Hmm, I don't know, it was kind of a mistake... The gameplay was way better than in Keens 1-3 but the enemies were a big disaster. As well most of the levels, especially final one.

Oh, and Keen GBC. What the f...?

So I would say fast:
  • Keen 4 (except water level)
    Keen 5
    Keen 6
    (+ unofficial TUIT Keens)
YES, tlamahuizoltic!
  • Keen 1, 2, 3
    Keen Dreams
    Water level from Keen 4
Not really...
  • Keen GBC
Never played it, but NO way.
Cuetlachtli
Grunt

Poll

Post by Cuetlachtli »

One more thing. Because Keens 1-3 are similar, use the same (or very similar) engine and together combine one set (Invasion of the Vorticons), as well as Keens 4-6 (Goodbye Galaxy) we could look at the poll in this topic in other way:

Invasion of the Vorticons - 11 votes, ~10%
Goodbye Galaxy - 91 votes, ~88%
Keen Dreams - 2 votes, ~2%
Keen GBC - 0 votes, 0%

So, as we can see, Goodbye Galaxy is definitely the most liked set. Almost 90% of PCKF users like these episodes the most. :)
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Keen 6 isn't part of Goodbye Galaxy - it's a stand-alone episode...
Cereal Board!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

DHeadshot wrote:Keen 6 isn't part of Goodbye Galaxy - it's a stand-alone episode...
True...but Keen 6 uses essentially the same engine that the Galaxy episodes do, and I think most of the discussion of Vorticons vs. Galaxy revolves around that aspect more than anything else.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

It's an extended engine, otherwise it wouldn't do the switches...
Cereal Board!
Cuetlachtli
Grunt

Post by Cuetlachtli »

DHeadshot wrote:Keen 6 isn't part of Goodbye Galaxy - it's a stand-alone episode...
Really? I didn't know about that. But even KeenWiki's categorization states that 6 is from Goodbye Galaxy series:
Goodbye Galaxy
Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle
Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine
Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter!
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page

Any way, it has very similar engine (so what that extended to switches?), the graphics are made in the same style, graphics of the Keen are the same, the system of points, ammo, lives, shooting, killing monsters etc. is the same. And so on. For me this is one set, even if you can't call it "Goodbye Galaxy". ;)
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

Well, while we're doing these lists... (I have changed my opinion here)

1. Keen 5- Jumping while walking sprites in Goodbye Galaxy... :drool Also, the levels were fun. I really like sequence breaks, so that also contributes.
2. Keen Dreams- Not the best on gameplay, but the graphics and sprite coding are simply amazing.
3. Keen 6- Heh, everything's crooked...
4. Keen 3- I kinda like the backgrounds here, in addition to having a large cast of characters. Also, this contains the Mangling Machine. Still, it's too bad they didn't finish this properly...
5a. Keen 2- I like this game. I really do, but it's way too difficult in my opinion... :dead2
5b. Keen 4- I like the backgrounds, but the music got old after a while, and Well of Wishes is too difficult for this to get a higher ranking. :dead2
5c. Keen 1- The graphics kinda turned me off here... also, this game is over-used in mods (yes, I know it's freeware, but still...)
6. Keen GBC- Least inventive sprite coding I have seen in an official Keen game (if this even counts as official). Also, this is also way too hard. It's almost as if the producers were trying to make the Keen series look as stupid as possible to persuade people to buy their other games.

Just my opinion.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

I need to actually play the GBC version so I can be positive it's bad.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:I need to actually play the GBC version so I can be positive it's bad.
Actually, that's exactly why you can't be positive. Unless you watched a Let's Play or something, and even that isn't fully representative - The Daikatana LP makes Daikatana look at least somewhat entertaining, after all.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Yeah I played GBC keen. Doesn't feel like keen at all. Stunner has unlimited ammo and you have to jump on enemies with the pogo to kill them while they are stunned. Have to press select to activate switches, which took me a while to figure out. The screen just feels too small or claustrophobic. Also has too many holes to fall down. Like every level is suspended above water or a pit. I at least beat one level and put it down after I had to write down a long number for the password. Just doesn't have the right keen feel to it.