Falling Debug Bug

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Falling Debug Bug

Post by MOM4Evr »

Odd glitch I found: In keen 4 or 5 (The version of Keen6 I have doesn't require A-2-Enter to activate Debug keys), if you fall through the air and press A-2-Enter to activate the debug keys, it freezes the game up, and the screen goes all weird. Haven't tried using the pogo to pull this off yet, as I'm bad at pressing random keys.
Not sure if this only happens in DosBox or if it'll happen playing straight DOS- I don't have my old computers here with me at the moment.
Screenie of funny-looking glitch:
Also just saw a couple cool glitches on YouTube that aren't described in the KeenWiki: just making sure they're known glitches:
-invisible door in the secret area of Keen4 level 1.
-Letting an ampton push you off a pole in level 1 keen 5 makes you warp to Korath III rather than inside the Omegamatic (Kinda like the Shelley glitch)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

it's art!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Primary glitch confirmed for my version of Keen 4 EGA, but it doesn't happen on my copy of Keen 5 or Keen 4 CGA. As for the secret door, yes for both copies of Keen 4. I haven't tried the Keen 5 one...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

lol a "Debug bug".

Anyway, yeah, that "being pushed off a pole and ending up in the secret teleporter area is an annoying bug we had to face a lot of times during the making of Keen9, I hope it doesn't happen anymore.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Does Lemm know why it happens?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I can confirm this happens in the Korath level in Keen 5, I haven't tried it anywhere else though. It's a pretty strange glitch, I'd like to know why does it happen... maybe it's a memory leak or something?
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

The Keen 4 one occurs because the primary function of the entirely black tiles are to be used in doors... I guess it just warps you anyway? Back to the world map would be the "deafult" warp I guess.

EDIT: Oh, and I assume the "debug bug :lol " occurs due to the game having to load new tiles so fast, and then having tiles suddenly load that dont change... long story short, to much work for the game/computer
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.