Do you play Keen on original hardware?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

Do you play Keen on original hardware?

Yes; I play Keen on an old computer.
20%
Yes; I play Keen on my original Keening machine.
10%
No; I don't play Keen on old hardware.
71%

Total votes: 51

K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I've still got two Pentium I machines, but I think their CMOS batteries are dead by now. Now DOSBox has to do the job... :dopefish
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:I've still got two Pentium I machines, but I think their CMOS batteries are dead by now. Now DOSBox has to do the job... :dopefish
Surely the CMOS battery won't affect gameplay?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Yes, I can still boot them, but that costs way too much time compared to firing up DOSBox. And since I figured out how to get some decent performance in DOSBox while running games like Blood or Doom, there's just no need to use them Unless you want to run old 16 bit Windows applications...
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:Yes, I can still boot them, but that costs way too much time compared to firing up DOSBox. And since I figured out how to get some decent performance in DOSBox while running games like Blood or Doom, there's just no need to use them Unless you want to run old 16 bit Windows applications...
I've booted Win 3.1 in DOSBox and in VPC, you could probably try and set up some of your 16-bit apps for that. Also, if I remember correctly, Galaxieretter was making a Win 3.1 image full of games and good apps?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
JBJBJB
Grunt

Post by JBJBJB »

My first original keen machine was a 286 with monocrome monitor (and the game actually was quite laggy on that piece of crap) so im glad i don't have to play on that one anymore, i use DosBOX these days
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

I actually still own my original Keening computer (a 486/33 with DOS 6.22/Windows 95) but it just sits in my closet collecting dust these days. I also have a Pentium 90, which is a laptop, that I occasionally use to play DOS games such as Keen.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I have an old DOS computer my uncle gave me when I was seven years old. I love that thing. I just recently packed it up in my attic, but I'll probably be taking it down soon because I really want to play it.

The floppy drive doesn't work at the moment, and for some reason my external IDE enclosure doesn't work with the HDD so I have no way of transferring my massive DOS collection onto my DOS PC.

I'd love to get it back and running again and drag a number of Keen mods on there. :)

Right now I have 9 gigs of compressed DOS games sitting on my harddrive collecting dust and no way to play them.

I also have tons of floppy discs and whatnot of old games.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Re:

Post by DHeadshot »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:I actually still own my original Keening computer (a 486/33 with DOS 6.22/Windows 95) but it just sits in my closet collecting dust these days.
Same sort of thing - Our first home PC (a Windows for Workgroups 3.11/MS-DOS 6.22 486DX with 8MB of RAM and a CD ROM drive!) is sitting in the loft without a power supply.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

I run it on a new Windows 7 laptop with the Dosbox! Rather like playing Keen on newer computers, makes the old game feel like new! The only thing I miss is how the music would sound different on computers from the Windows 98 days!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

I have an old 1994 laptop I'm in the middle of trying to repair. And yes, I've been able to play keen on that.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Re:

Post by _mr_m_ »

DHeadshot wrote:
IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:I actually still own my original Keening computer (a 486/33 with DOS 6.22/Windows 95) but it just sits in my closet collecting dust these days.
Same sort of thing - Our first home PC (a Windows for Workgroups 3.11/MS-DOS 6.22 486DX with 8MB of RAM and a CD ROM drive!) is sitting in the loft without a power supply.
Sounds like the EXACT specs my family's first PC had...only the CD ROM drive is dead now.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I have the computer, but sadly the original floppy I got it from is dead :(
CMA Death Adder
Grunt

Re: Do you play Keen on original hardware?

Post by CMA Death Adder »

thehackercat wrote:At my grandparent's house, there is an old Magitronic DOS computer. It's so old, it doesn't even have any extended memory. 640KB of RAM means it can't even handle Keen4.
Oh, I don't know...

I used to have an XT-8088 running @ 4Mhz and with only the base 640KB RAM. It ran Commander Keen 4, 5 and 6 just fine. Of course, I had dropped a VGA card into the machine, as well as a SoundBlaster 2.0. The speed of the Keen games was unbearably slow, but they ran.

The most painfully slow game of all, on that computer, was the DOS adaptation of the Simpsons arcade game. It ran so slow it left sprite "ghosts" on the screen. Certainly, the development team for that game didn't figure anyone running less than a 286 would try to play it... but they were wrong. >:
Keen Dreams is available FREE for Android!

...and cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

I used to, but not anymore.

At one point after getting DOSBox once I think I somehow found a way to play DOS games normally on my Windows XP, without using DOSBox! I've since forgotten how I did it. :dead
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
mrjr84
Grunt

Post by mrjr84 »

I wish I still had my old Keening machines. Played Keen 4 CGA on about three different 486 boxes and one Pentium box, all of which had been handed down to me. I don't know if one of them is still floating around in my parent's basement or not. Plan to check when I visit next month.

Now I play Keen on iPhone and iPad courtesy of iDOS and DOSpad. It's crazy fun, if a little challenging at times. Played through 4 & 5 a couple times this way (still looking for a copy of 6). I'm a little surprised no one here has mentioned doing this. Keen in my pocket? Yes, please.