Is Keen not a profitable series?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

This thread has joined the Philosophical thread in being just a string of tl;dr...
(Begin flames...)
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

DHeadshot wrote:This thread has joined the Philosophical thread in being just a string of tl;dr...
(Begin flames...)
If there's any severe flame wars I will ask the mods to close this thread so it can retain its dignity. Please keep it civil :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

wiivn wrote:And how exactly it is a part of the Mario franchise anyway? Donkey Kong Country was developed by Rare. Donkey Kong Returns was developed by Retro Studios. Yeah, Retro may be financially a division of Nintendo now, but they are a completely separate studio.
It's interesting to see how you, and many others (all that jumped onto the 'ID now makes violent games' wave) cling to company names. I don't care at all who sponsored the game, so in the end I won't care (if there is a good new Keen game) if Keen will be developed by ID or someone I've never heard of. I can already hear the Keen GBC argument coming up, but I still believe the company is not the point, and besides not what Lava was aiming at with this thread.
Donkey Kong was always part of the Mario universe since 1981, when Donkey Kong came out and it featured Mario. And so is Keen GBC part of the Keen universe although it had nothing to do with the others in terms of development.
So I'd rather not hear anymore wise-guy talk about which studio made which engine. (<- that remark isn't for you personally wiivan, just a general feeling I have around here.)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

wiivn, we can argue about this all day if you want but not only your accusations of me being ignorant are ridiculous but you seem to miss my point on every post. I don't see this discussion going anywhere.
wiivn wrote:fucl facebook? Lame.
A social network being the next platform for videogames sounds as good as a needle in... Well, you get what I mean.
wiivn wrote:Only a few companies do real profits of their games. For example, Microsoft is just now beginning to make money from it's xbox console and games, sony is not making money and nintendo was making a lot of money, but their profits drops a lot recently. The situation is almost the same with the bigger game developers/publishers. In order to make bigger and better looking games, some of them invest more and more, and in the end, the do sell well, but those games doesn't make big or even small profits. On the other hand, small companies with much smaller teams makes much bigger profits. And this is where Keen will shine.
No. Again, please give me a full and detailed list of indie games that aren't minecraft that have received critical acclaim as much as minecraft has.
wiivn wrote:And this is where Keen will shine.
This is exactly where I'm being realistic. It won't happen and we both know it. Even if it could theorically be successful (I think still these are lies), it won't happen.

Get over it.
wiivn wrote:You're not being realistic, you're being ignorant and prejudiced, that's it. All in all I'm saying platformers or the gaming industry at it's own is not superb now, but it's not as bad as you're trying to take a picture of.
Read Sylly's post.

Also just to clarify, I play a lot of platformer games, I never said I don't like them. In fact, recently, all I've been playing is platformers.

Also before everyone attacks me saying I'm being once again a troll who only wants to cause drama, I think this is a perfectly civil discussion and I don't see anything wrong with it, except for the fact it won't go anywhere. I guess at least that makes this discussion a keen reference. (Lamest pun ever, right?)
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

Won't happen is a bit of an exaggeration. I believe it's possible. In the same way, it's possible that The Last Airbender will win all the oscars, and that Two and a Half Men will have some jokes on it in a few seasons.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

So if Chris-chan loses weight, gets a job and a wife, then there's hope mankind won't go nearly extinct and have to re-boot civilization due to global warming and population pressure!Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

"No. Again, please give me a full and detailed list of indie games that aren't minecraft that have received critical acclaim as much as minecraft has."

Yeah, Minecraft is a phenomenon. It has more than 3 million users. I cannot compare it to other indie games because I don't know of any official statistics for indie game sales. Some casual games have more users, but that's different story. Anyway that doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of successful indie games to XBLA or Steam. If a new Keen game is released as an indie or casual (or both) in Steam, the chances are to be a top seller. Unless it's been made a crap like Raptor 2010 edition, but that won't be the case.

"This is exactly where I'm being realistic. It won't happen and we both know it. Even if it could theorically be successful (I think still these are lies), it won't happen.

Get over it."

You're repeating yourself. I believe a new Keen is possible and it will be successful. Get over it. When the new Keen is released, whether it's called Keen or not, I'll LOL at you hard.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Okay then, let's just see how long it takes for this game to come out.

When you'll realize it will never come out, perhaps you'll understand what I was trying to say.

However, as I said in my first response to you, you were right that there are some good indie games around. I am getting an XBOX 360 with one joystick and two memory cards for free these days, and I'll be sure to buy those games as soon as I have it.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

While I agree with a lot of wiivn's points about the state and profitability of platformers, I also agree with Ckeen's point that it won't happen because ID won't make it and, what was my point, that it would probably be too much of a hassle for anyone else to get Keen from ID unless their primary goal was to make a new Keen. If someone had that goal, and got the rights from ID, then I think Keen would definitely be profitable. Otherwise, if they just want to make a successful platformer, seems like they're better off just inventing a new one.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Cuz we got mods, Keen will really never die.
Yes it will, just as soon as all of us who still play Keen are dead.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Are you saying you won't pass Keen down to your children? :O
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

TerminILL wrote:Are you saying you won't pass Keen down to your children? :O
you're assuming keeners have kids. well, there's paramultart.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Yet.

also quoting the post directly above you is one of the Great Forum Sins, we all know who you're talking to.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Mm... I plan to start keening my kids early.
Starting with Halloween outfits :D

But unfortunately one can only sew the seeds and see if they take interest.
Apogee1
Grunt

Post by Apogee1 »

>> Why do you guys think that there has been no attempt to revive the Keen series? Keen GBC was in no way an attempt to start the series up again and no professional game developer has seemingly made an attempt to bring it back. Also, I highly doubt ID's refusal to make another Keen game is simply emotional. <<

How do you know that such an effort hasn't been made or presented to id?
Back in Action