Take a bad game...

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Bonevelous wrote:the best glitch in video game history: the impossible bullet trick.
No. This is the best glitch, no exceptions.

Also, I don't get what everyone's (not directed at you, I mean in general.) problem is with keen 6, it is my favourite out of the galaxy series (and I don't care if it's not part of the series it still uses the same engine and mechanics so don't even bother pointing that out)
KeenEmpire wrote:I'll tell you what Keen Dreams was missing:

The Dream within a Dream.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Keen Dreams:

MOVEMENT:
While basically the same as Keen:Galaxy, there were some things which got on my nerves. Climbing poles was too slow, walking on the map was too slow, and there was no ledge-gripping.

I did, however, like the fact that the pole-jumping action was a lot easier. I wanted the pogo at first, but I could learn to love Keen without a pogo. (ONLY FOR ONE GAME.)

ATTACK:
I really had no problem with Flower Power. The fact that enemies couldn't be killed outright except for stunning them over pits or something really contributed to the play experience. The player was required to think carefully about which enemies to stun, and where. This added a level of strategy to Keen that wasn't seen in previous episodes.

Keen GBC:

MOVEMENT:
I was infuriated by the jumping physics at first, but then I realized how to start a running jump. Smaller jumps, while potentially deadly in a pit-jumping situation, make tiny leaps much more efficient.

The pogo "replacement" was not cool in my opinion. Down-A is such an awkward motion to make, and stomping enemies with pogo is actually impossible in some scenarios. Overall, the enemies were very annoying and not very Keenish, even when they were ripped.

I did, however, finally manage to beat it in one sitting with a PC emulator a while back. Now that I've found my charger, I can try it out on my Gameboy again. :)

The password system was crap.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

thehackercat wrote:The password system was crap.
It was an ingenious solution to the hardware limitations.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

What hardware limitations? The only limitation I can see is that id was too cheap to pay for cartridges with battery backed memory.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

No. This is the best glitch, no exceptions.
No, monster infighting is. Shoot a group of monsters right and they'll wipe themselves out for you.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

RoboBlue wrote:What hardware limitations? The only limitation I can see is that id was too cheap to pay for cartridges with battery backed memory.
1. Activision
2. Battery memory runs out - you lose your game
3. this gives you infinite games because it encodes your progress/score/lives as a hash code and gives it to you as a password.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

StupidBunny wrote:......The flower power grenade-style attack is a cool idea, but unfortunately I think it compounds that limiting feeling that the other factors have. All in all, I think my biggest gripe with Dreams is that Keen just doesn't feel as powerful as he does in the other games......
Considering how the story was set up, it makes perfect sense that Keen is less powerful here then in the other games. He is trapped in a dream sequence under someone else's control, just like when Freddy Krueger attacked and killed people in dreams. He said it best in one movie, "Might be your dream, but it's MY RULES!!!" The same thing applies here. However, I am sure the story was just a contrivance to take away Keen's stunner and pogo. I will admit I was not too fond of the flower power at first, but I kind of like the idea of the designers trying to do something different. I am sure most of the ideas implemented in Keen Dreams was just a one-off thing. It was not intended to be the new standard in future Keen games.
DaVince wrote:......Some disappointing level design. Heck, one of the levels is simply a screen with two immediate exits and a secret area in the water!
- Lack of point to some levels, once I actually knew what to do......
The level design is crap in some levels, not to mention 4 levels never even done at all. I will go into detail a little later by doing a level-by-level comparison of the Keen Dreams levels.
DHeadshot wrote:......The most disappointing Keen game is the buggy horror that is Keen 3.
Bugs aside, Keen 3 only had 3 problems:

1) Poor level design in two levels: Hal's Kitchen and Caves of Oblivion. There is nothing wrong with having an area or two of a level unreachable, but that was definitely abused in these two levels. In Hal's Kitchen 75% to 90% of the level is unreachable. What is the point of creating a level that is practically unplayable? In Caves of Oblivion 25% of the path to the exit is unreachable and the exit itself is unreachable. The solution? Just go over the top of the mountain and head for the other exit. "The impossible Caves of Oblivion"???? The pathetic irony there it is the easiest to reach the exit, even easier than the very 1st level. Talk about poor level design.

2) The Anhks: As cool as they are they are used rather poorly and so scarcely in Keen 3. If you would like to see the Anhks used to their full potential download Mr. Black's Keen 3 Levelpack. It definitely puts most of Keen 3 to shame.

3) Only two levels are required to complete the game: a blocker level and the final level. The player has to choose 1-2 other selective blocker levels in order to complete the game, but basically the player can skip most of the game. Granted it is the player robbing themselves of fun by skipping most of the game, but still, the worldmap should have been designed a little better so more levels were required.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:people think keen dreams is 'sub-par'? I think I said this before, but the only thing that needs to be changed is adding a way to go back to a level if you fail to get the boobus bombs......
There are 24 Boobus Bombs available in Keen Dreams. The Melon Mines, Rhubarb Rapids, Grape Grove, and Squash Swamp each have 3 bombs. Spud City and Apple Acres each have 6 bombs. Only 12 bombs are required to destroy King Boobus Tuber. If you happen to miss getting them in one level you can always go to another. Boobus Bombs are not that scarce.
Stealthy71088 wrote:......Enemies were cleverer- Some of them were good, but they felt almost a bit too rigid in general. One of the neat things about galaxy enemies is that a lot of them have more of a random nature to their movement, and some of them aren't confined to the ground......
There were quite a few Keen Dreams enemies not confined to the ground. The Apples went up and down ropes. Tomatooths bounce at Keen making them hard to turn into flowers, Squash fly into the air to "squash Keen'. Pea Pods shoot out the Pea Brains.
Difficulty- Hard mode is easy mode! The only difference between the two is lack of ammo, but when playing there's a good chance you won't notice the difference. I think enemy placement should have changed.
There is the same amount of ammo in all three difficulties. The only difference is the enemies stay flowers for a lesser period of time possibly causing the player to use more flower power. Enemy placement does not change in the galaxy games. They just add more enemies.
Ceilick wrote:Keen Dreams was made in the time of two months, and considering that the game can probably be seen as impressive in some sense. But there is definite room for improvement. My complaints with Keen Dreams are the following:

1. The physics. Keen's jump in Keen Dreams works differently than in Keens 1-6; when he bumps his head, he drops immediately. This feature is a mild annoyance in the levels as they exist, but is very restricting to level design.
Keen's jump does suck in this game. Two points of example:

1) In The Melon Mines the level is designed so if you go too far down you cannot get back up. There is a free Keen on the left side of the chasm. There is an easy way to get it, but if you go that way, it is impossible to go back up and get the magic eyeball. If you grab the magic eyeball it is impossible to use the easy path to get the free Keen I just mentioned.

But there is another way! You can go up to a higher platform and jump down to the edge where that free Keen is. In vorticons and galaxy this jump would be easy because pushing your arrow keys left or right in midair will allow Keen to drift in that direction making him land directly on the ledge. However, this jump is very difficult in Keen Dreams. There is no drift. When you jump, you only have a split-second moment to hit the arrow key to land on the ledge. If your timing is not perfect Keen just falls straight down. This applies to secret areas hidden next to poles and also applies to another brutal jump:

2) In Apple Acres the same type of jump is required in order to make it down to the lower left of the level were there is a mine cart, a free Keen and 3 Boobus Bombs. The only way to get down there is to jump down there off a pole. Only this time you are above a chasm, so if you fall or miss the jump Keen dies. Again, as I stated in the above paragraph, there is no drift. At a split-second moment you have to hit your arrow key to the left. If your timing is not perfect, Keen will fall straight down to his death.
Keen GBC is...well its very different. How could Keen GBC have been improved?

*The Story: It's decent, I'd say it's comparable to the story in Keen Dreams and the stories in many mods, but it's just not as exciting as it could be. In addition, the way Mortimer is used in the story is just dumb; if they never mentioned him it wouldn't change the story whatsoever.

*Faithfulness to Keen Lore. As Stealthy mentions, there are so many instances where Keen GBC rewrites what we learned about the Keen universe. Whether this was done intentionally or not, it'd be a huge improvement if Keen GBC had gotten the facts straight.
Mortimer used in Keen GBC is completely dumb. In the official Keen games he is responsible for everything that is happening, but in GBC, he is just being mentioned just for the sake of mentioning him. Either make his presence relevant to the story or do not include him at all. As far as the phenominal incosistencies in GBC and official Keen canon, that is unacceptable. If you are going to create a game, at least do some basic research on the game. It is obvious that the people who created this abomination know little to nothing about Commander Keen.
A bit more controversial, but I'm going to say I think Keen 6 is also sub-par compared to the other episodes.
I am afraid I have to disagree with Ceilick here. Keen 6 is my least favorite of the three galaxy games, but I would not consider it sub-par. I do agree that level design does seem a little odd is a few levels here and there, but for the most part, I believe it is still a good game. I do like Aliens Ate My Babysitter... Again better than the original Keen 6.
MOM4Evr wrote:I have to agree with Ceilick on Keen 6. It doesn't quite feel like a legit Keen game to me. The music is great and all that, but the lack of story just made it not feel right to me. I don't quite like the enemies as much as other Keen games, either. The mechanics for accessing different areas were cheap takeoffs on Keen4, too. Needing a rope, sandwich, and keycard just felt like ripoffs from Keen4 needing a swimsuit. It feels fine in Keen4 but not here. I don't know why.
Again, I disagree. The story for Keen 6 was not any worse than the stories for any of the other games. When you take the Keen series as a whole (including 7-9) it seems that most of Keen's adventures were distraction techniques set up by Mortimer. Why just blow up the earth or the Milky Way if your intention is to blow up the entire universe? Why enslave the Vorticons and Krodacians, then make pacts with the Shikadi and Bloogs, if you intend on exterminating them all anyway? Toasting the universe was Mortimer's plan all along. All the other stuff was to keep Keen out of his way (either by distraction and/or killing him.) Even having the Bloogs kidnap his own sister was nothing more than to distract Keen.

As for the rope and grapping hook, Stupendous Sandwich of Chungella IV and the Bloogstar Rocket passcard, yes, I am sure the idea came from Keen 4. But what is wrong with taking an idea from one game and taking that idea a step further in a differnent game? I liked this idea.

Back to Mortimer, something about him always puzzled me. What I had always believed (and was confirmed in Keen 9) that despite only being one point lower in IQ, Mortimer thinks Keen is just as stupid and deserves to die just like everyone else. It is obvious Mort wants Keen dead, but I find it interesting that he never tries to kill Keen himself, at least not directly. Mortimer attempts to have the Vorticons, his Mangling Machine, Shikadi, Bloogs, Krodacians, and whoever is inhabiting Calidune kill Keen for him but he will not do it himself. Even in The Warpcore in Keen 9, I do not think Mortimer even expected Keen to make it there and have to face him 1-on-1. Why is this? Is it because Mort feels Keen isn't worth his time? Is it because deep down Mort knows there is a slim possible Keen could defeat him? Or is it because Mort not only possesses the biggest brain in the universe, but is also the biggest coward in the universe? Who knows what Mortimer's motivations are in this regard.

So here is my analysis for Keen Dreams:

0. Land of Tuberia: The world map is cool. But I do have to agree with others than Keen moves way too slow to go from one area to another. Plus who could not like the trees that wave to Keen?!?!

1. Horsradish Hill: Kind of an empty level, but it is the first level after all. First levels can be simple. Basically it is just an introductory level to give the player a small taste of what to expect in the rest of the game, so the simplicity and emptiness can be forgiven this one time.

2. The Melon Mines: This would be a good level if not for the aforementioned "I've fallen down and get go back up" poor level design. Plus it is only one of two levels the contain mine carts. I certainly wish they would appear more often in the game. This is also one of two levels that contains the magic eyeball.

3. Bridge Bottoms: Other than the secret area under the water this level is empty and useless. Again, once you fall you cannot go back up. At least there are two free Keens in the level.

4. Rhubarb Rapids: Again mostly empty, but it does contain some structures at the left of the level that could be possible buildings.

5. Parsnip Pass: Again mostly empty, more empty than Rhubarb Rapids but less empty than Bridge Bottoms. Other then two free Keens, and the Pink Owl whose head you can stand on, this level has nothing to offer.

6, 8, 11, 13: No levels. There is only a placeholder here and even then most of the points are unreachable! This was incredibly stupid. Why even bother?

7. Spud City: I actually like this level for the most part. It does have its problems. As Celick mentioned the hidden areas and secret passages were kind of a mess. Most of them were only accessible via hidden poles. Even then it was still hard to access some areas due to the KD's jump dynamics mentioned earlier in this post. The level is called Spud City, but there is only one mediocre structure and the rest of the top is platforms to jump to and from. There is a lot of wasted space at the top of this level.
This is one of the two levels that contain the magic eyeball, despite the fact it appears to be unreachable.

9. Apple Acres: I like this level for the most part as well, but the brutal jump I mentioned earlier in this post is not the most pleasant experience in the world.

10. Grape Grove: This level is okay but it is relatively small and short. Very little as far as points and other items can be found. At least it has Boobus Bombs.

12. Brussels Sprout Bay: Completely useless level if you ask me. Too short, too simple, too easy to get to the exit. Again, little to no points or items to obtain. This is most definitely an optional level in all ways.

14. Squash Swamp: just as empty and short as the last two levels. It does have Boobus Bombs and it is kind of interesting running through the grass and not having an easy time seeing what might be coming at you. It makes for interesting gameplay however brief.

15. Boobus' Chamber: I like boss levels, but this is way too easy. You can throw all your bombs at King Boobus Tuber before he gets anywhere near you. It would be better if the level could be designed so you have no choice but to dodge... bobbin' and weavin', weavin' and bobbin'!

16. Castle Tuberia: The only level I have no complaints about. I like this level. My favorite part of the level is when you go to the top of the castle to obtain extra points and two free Keens. The two free Keens seem unreachable but you can use the 'I' in ID as a pole and grab the extra lives. If anyone ever decides to redo Keen Dreams, please do not take this out. It is actually my favorite part of the game.

As for Keen GBC, I have never played. I have seen several YouTube videos of it and was not impressed at all. Plus I never had a GameBoy and never will!

Patrick
Last edited by Syllypryde on Sun Feb 13, 2011 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Remake Dreams? Sounds like....a plan!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Grimson wrote:Remake Dreams? Sounds like....a plan!
We have levelpacks of every other official game. Why not Dreams? Especially since the first Keen Dreams mod was recently released.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I wanted to make Dreams levels. Then I realized TED5 sucks and the level conversion mod for TED5 doesn't work properly for some reason and I haven't found any new version. (possibly the one used for Xmas 2010?)
Syllypryde wrote:Why just blow up the earth or the Milky Way if your intention is to blow up the entire universe?
What if Mortimer was actually planning to kill Keen because he thought Keen doesn't know about his plans? If Keen didn't go to Mars, he wouldn't have noticed the vorticon mothership. If Keen didn't build the Photachyon Transceiver, he would never stop the shikadi from blowing up the Milky Way. If Keen didn't save Molly and talk to her, he wouldn't have heard about Mort's universe-toasting plans! :O
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nospike wrote:What if Mortimer was actually planning to kill Keen because he thought Keen doesn't know about his plans? If Keen didn't go to Mars, he wouldn't have noticed the vorticon mothership. If Keen didn't build the Photachyon Transceiver, he would never stop the shikadi from blowing up the Milky Way. If Keen didn't save Molly and talk to her, he wouldn't have heard about Mort's universe-toasting plans! :O
I think Mort knew Keen was on Mars. How the hell would the Vorticons have known what parts to steal, parts that were unavailable on Mars?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Because Vorticons are
1. on Mars for a longer time than Keen
2. intelligent.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I'd always imagined Mort constantly monitoring Keen's progress, which makes less sense than Mort not knowing. Send the Vorticons to destroy earth, but Keen sends back a crippled mothership. Keen comes to Vorticon VI, Mort panics, orders everyone on the planet to kill Keen, leaves an android dummy as he slips out a wormhole. Tells the Shikadi to blow up the entire galaxy to be sure. Then Keen ruins that, Mortimer runs leaving a letter to goad Keen into a trap, Keen doesn't take the bait so Mort tries again via Molly. This time it works and Keen is blasted off to a desert planet. But he comes back and the universe goes untoasted.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

mort is simply absurd.
seriously, steal the parts of a ship to stop one 8-year old, then decide to amp it up and destroy earth, then decide to kill the 8-year old again, then decide to make a dream machine that will kill/imprison him, again, send minions to capture all the council members of a mostly-useless plot device... err... race, then decide to 1-up keen and destroy the milky way, then distract him 3 TIMES (one of them including a universal toaster cannon, which he remarked as stupid) so he can explode the universe.

if he simply decided to destroy the universe in the first place, he could've skipped several months of planning.

for my least favorite galaxy game, it's k4. why? i don't like the enviroment. also, two of the game's scariest enemies existed here; the dopefish and the blue bird. another thing, there was the treasure eater, which made sure you couldn't complete the level unless you were fast enough. that seriously takes away from the game.
at least in TKoK, they're in a level that is completely winnable even if all the items are taken.[/i]
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Eros wrote:decide to make a dream machine that will kill/imprison him, again
Where does it say that he plotted the events from KDR?