Look what I found in the Keen 4 Demo!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whelp, you should have my note on this. Don't think it was Tom Hal that got me anywhere (be interesting to ask him again perhaps.) but it's been years and memory plays tricks.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Just in case anyone is interested in the IMF music from the Keen 4 Demo:

Download

The demo comes with two songs: SHADOWS.IMF and OASIS.IMF. Both are very different from the final versions used in Keen 4, one noticeable difference being that the songs use the AdLib's rhythm mode. I think Monster Bash is the only other game that ever used IMFs in rhythm mode.

Extracting the IMFs turned out to be not as easy as one would assume. The AudioT format in the demo differs slightly from the later formats (IMF chunks start with a 4 bytes length value, not 2 bytes like all the later versions). That's why the IMFs in the archive are plain IMF files with no header/footer data. The extracted songs also don't start with zeroes, so some IMF tools might not be able to handle them correctly. My tools should work fine with these files.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Thank you for posting that, Oasis is lovely and one particular progression in that version of the Shadowlands theme reminds me of a Devo song haha.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass