Pyramid of the Forbidden

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

kuliwil wrote:the water stretch underneath... hillville I think. Not sure. The one with all the drops and lives.
Isn't it in Sand Yego? Or Lifewater Oasis. One of those two. (the latter makes more sense, I guess)

EDIT: Image
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Lifewater Oasis.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's the one, the name says it all.

Basically, I was just like "I'm going to gather all of the inchworms into a pile for lulz", without any expectation whatsoever that something cool would happen, and--what do you know!--a giant stone foot materializes in the air. It was something I never would have discovered if I weren't weird and didn't try things like that for no reason.
Yep.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

That was the only one I *couldn't* find without help; I always assumed the extra pyramid was just there for decoration, kinda implying that Shadowlands was bigger than just the playable area. I stumbled on the Keen 1 one by pure luck, but the rest weren't that hard to find...

Funny story though: Before I read about how to actually get to the pyramid, but after finding Lindsay's hint about it, I saw on a Keen website "In the Pyramid of the Moons, stand on one of the moons on the ground for a while for a nasty surprise." Having accessed PotF by the warp cheat, I assumed the "nasty surprise" was this hard level... so it was almost as if Keen was making fun of me with what happened next. xD
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Would it be good to have a map that had level looking things that you couldn't reach? Everyone would be trying to get them...
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Levellass wrote:Would it be good to have a map that had level looking things that you couldn't reach? Everyone would be trying to get them...
That reminds me of my foolish attempts to reach the forest-like thingy near the BASA level in Fribbulus Xax's map, or the waving tree things in Dreams, or the cyan area near Boobus' castle which turned out to be the sky...
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

Isn't it in Sand Yego? Or Lifewater Oasis. One of those two. (the latter makes more sense, I guess)
Actually, if I recall correctly, there's a stretch under both Lifewater Oasis and Sand Yego.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Sand Yego certainly has an inaccessible watery area at the bottom in both halves, but unlike Lifewater Oasis', it doesn't contain drops and lives.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What is it about desert levels that makes people want to put water in them with no greenery? Jazz Jackrabbit, Keen 4, DITD...
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Levellass wrote:What is it about desert levels that makes people want to put water in them with no greenery? Jazz Jackrabbit, Keen 4, DITD...
The desire to design to a stereotype.

And yes, Lifewater is what I was thinking of. Never even noticed the other one!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

It's so funny to me that everyone had trouble finding the way to the Pyramid of the Forbidden. I don't think it took me very long before I found my way to the PofF (I think even before I completed CK4 on hard). On top of that, I'm proud to say that I found all the secret levels by myself, without cheating or any help, except for CK5. After all, this last one was not really hard at all, I just wasn't aware of the trick (which ironically enough came back around 10 times in CK9), although I KNEW the passage to the secret level was in the GDH. I searched that map for hours and hours, not finding any secret passage.

When I look back at it, the PofF is much harder to discover, but I never really got any trouble with that one (Same for 1, 3 and 6).
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

There's a way to get some of the lifewater from Lifewater Oasis, but unless you've got 99 drops and hit it just right, you net nothing >.< spooty Wormouths...

As for myself, I think one of my uncles showed the inchworms thing to me when I was really little, but since I could never get back out of the PotF until a few years ago, I avoided it.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Pokota wrote:There's a way to get some of the lifewater from Lifewater Oasis, but unless you've got 99 drops and hit it just right, you net nothing >.< spooty Wormouths...
SPILL! PLEASE TELL!
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

It involves exploiting the fact that you still pick up pickups while you're doing your Death Bounce...
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Pokota wrote:It involves exploiting the fact that you still pick up pickups while you're doing your Death Bounce...
HAHAHAHAHA, OH I SEE! I guess then that those lives are there as a kind of compensation for all those wormouths at the bottom floor of that level!
Thanks for explaining! :D It all makes sense now!