Music in Vorticons

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Music in Vorticons

Post by Toothpick »

Has anyone here ever considered putting music in the Vorticons trilogy? Now that I know there are Vorticon mods that have music, I wonder if it's possible to put music in the official Vorticon games. Anyone want to give it a shot?
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

It's currently possible only for Keen 1. (Or at least I think so.)
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Actually, given the fact that most of the work is pulled off by a separate program, and that lemm has the enormous patience/skill to port the entire V2 set of patches to Keen 2 and 3, it is likely possible to get it going in 2 and 3.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This has already been possible since about this time last year. The tsrmus package contains the necessary patches for each Vorticons episode.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

What kind of music should the Vorticon games have? For Keen 1 the silence seemed to go perfectly with the dull and empty atmosphere of Mars, but I can see how Keen 2-3 may benefit from music.
You could just steal some from Super Mario Bros 3, to be historically accurate. :P
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Keen 1 would have somber/ambient music, Keen 2 would have action/danger music, and Keen 3 would have rural music except for the Mangling Machine which would have epic boss music.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Keen 2 would probably have a similar style to Keen 5.

How do you define 'rural'?

Keen 6 would be a good place to look for inspiration for Keen 3 music.

I definitely agree on ambient music for Keen 1.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

By rural, I meant something along the lines of Keen 6 music.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Country, stuff that uses the banjo instrument, stuff with a slowish, relaxed pace.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Country wasn't what I had in mind. Vorticon VI is too advanced for that. I was thinking more town-ish music than country music. Again, refer to Keen 6.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

THAT HONKY TONK
BADONKA DONK

I don't really see how Keen 6 has any kind of 'rural' or 'town' style of music... nor do I have any idea what 'town' music actually might be besides any rock/pop/metal/trance/ambient/EBM/chiptune/dubstep/hip-hop/etc music that might be produced in a garage/bedroom/studio/beach/attic/motel/etc...
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

I dunno what you would call the style, but songs like in the first level of Keen6 would feel really fitting in Keen1 or 3. Keen8's world map music is really great, too, but it feels more world-mapish, maybe too laid-back or something. But something along those lines. I know nothing of music genres.
Levellass wrote:Country, stuff that uses the banjo instrument, stuff with a slowish, relaxed pace.
Kinda relaxed, but not too much. You don't wanna fall asleep playing the game. :P
And I have absolutely no idea what an IMF country song would sound like... :confused Maybe I'll toy around a bit more with IMF and see.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Commander Spleen wrote:I don't really see how Keen 6 has any kind of 'rural' or 'town' style of music... nor do I have any idea what 'town' music actually might be besides any rock/pop/metal/trance/ambient/EBM/chiptune/dubstep/hip-hop/etc music that might be produced in a garage/bedroom/studio/beach/attic/motel/etc...
Just any music that says "Hey, I'm in a town" or something. You guys tell me what would fit Keen 3.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Maybe something like Bio Menace, but more lighthearted?