Cheats on a mac

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
jrid
Meep

Cheats on a mac

Post by jrid »

Help!!! I can't make any cheat codes work on my mac. I've downloaded "boxer" and can play the games just fine but none of the codes (except for entering debug mode) work. After that the F10 key doesn't do anything. I even switched it so that the F keys would be used as standard function keys and nothing...also, does anyone know how to get the full version of keen 6?
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Hello, spamcat!
EDIT: Gonna answer your questions anyway. Keen 6 is only available legally by buying used copies on eBay and the like. I'll let you figure out other possible ways.
Also your cheat problem is mysterious. What is this "boxer" program you speak of?
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Boxer, as in, DosBox?

Have you tried pressing A-2-Enter first before activating the cheats?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

TerminILL wrote:Hello, spamcat!
Corn on the cob for Everyone!
Gridlock wrote:Have you tried pressing A-2-Enter first before activating the cheats?
Note that he says:
jrid wrote:except for entering debug mode
Presumably that means the A2Enter bit.
jrid wrote:After that the F10 key doesn't do anything
Are you holding down F10 for the key combinations? You need to do that rather than just press it beforehand.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

What? There's a Keen 6 for Mac out there? :O

edit: oh. boxer.

edit: This is neat. Especially the Keen 5 and Epic Pinball display on the bottom :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
9montkor
Vortininja

Re: Cheats on a mac

Post by 9montkor »

jrid wrote:Help!!! I can't make any cheat codes work on my mac. I've downloaded "boxer" and can play the games just fine but none of the codes (except for entering debug mode) work. After that the F10 key doesn't do anything. I even switched it so that the F keys would be used as standard function keys and nothing...also, does anyone know how to get the full version of keen 6?
If you are talking about cheat codes keen 1 to 3 is g-o-d. If you are talking about keen 4 to 5 it is a-2-f10-enter and f10-g. Keen 6 f10-g. keen 7 and 8 is a-2-f10-enter and f10-g.
am am a fan of the game keen Da i am
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Boxer is sexy.

I think the cheat-code question has been answered pretty well. As for getting Keen 6, it's unfortunately no longer sold, though [shameless plug] I will be selling one of my copies on eBay fairly soon [/shameless plug].
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Most Mac keyboards have pre-assigned functions set to the function keys, like volume control and such. When you press them, you'll need to add the "fn" key to your keystrokes. Also, Boxer is a pretty cool guy but there IS Dosbox for Mac.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

thehackercat wrote:Most Mac keyboards have pre-assigned functions set to the function keys, like volume control and such. When you press them, you'll need to add the "fn" key to your keystrokes. Also, Boxer is a pretty cool guy but there IS Dosbox for Mac.
Does DOSBox for Mac take complete keyboard control like it does in Windows? (Well, almost complete.)
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

kuliwil wrote:
thehackercat wrote:Most Mac keyboards have pre-assigned functions set to the function keys, like volume control and such. When you press them, you'll need to add the "fn" key to your keystrokes. Also, Boxer is a pretty cool guy but there IS Dosbox for Mac.
Does DOSBox for Mac take complete keyboard control like it does in Windows? (Well, almost complete.)
I don't know. It may - which would mean that the pre-set functions are part of the hardware. It may not assume complete keyboard control, or the system functions may take priority over software functions.

jrid, what type of Mac are you using? I know for a fact that the F-keys are hardware-bound to preset functions on ALL Apple laptops. Even my 2nd-generation iBook has this problem *ahem* design feature.

You need to press the "fn" key along with the desired function key to make them work. However, you may reverse this process:

Go to System Preferences.
Under the Hardware pane, select the Keyboard object.
Check the box that says "Use all F1, F2 keys as standard function keys".
After enabling this box, the function keys will respond like a normal keyboard's would. You will now have to use the "fn" keys if you want to use the special features.

Hope this helps.
jrid
Meep

Post by jrid »

I've disabled the function keys and done everything suggested. Typing g-o-d, holding the f10 key down at the same time as the letters, using the fn key at the same time etc etc etc. nothing works!!!!! the only thing that has any effect is the A2enter code which makes a box pop up in regards to debug mode. none of the other cheats work though
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

jrid wrote:I've disabled the function keys and done everything suggested. Typing g-o-d, holding the f10 key down at the same time as the letters, using the fn key at the same time etc etc etc. nothing works!!!!! the only thing that has any effect is the A2enter code which makes a box pop up in regards to debug mode. none of the other cheats work though
Have you tried using DOSBox instead? http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

I don't know how boxer does its thing, but you might even be able to mount the same game files in DOSBox and keep your saved games etc.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Boxer comes packaged with Dosbox. It's just a front-end application intended to simplify the process.

Jrid, "g-o-d" is not a Galaxy cheat, so that wouldn't work regardless.
If you have disabled the function keys, there's no need to hold the "fn" key.

You need to press A+2+ENTER and then, after receiving the dialog about debug mode, enter a command. (F10 + N for "no clipping", F10 + G for "god mode", F10 + J for "jump cheat", etc)

If this doesn't work, user error is ruled out and you should reinstall Boxer, switch to straight-up DosBox, or use another keyboard.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

thehackercat wrote:Boxer comes packaged with Dosbox. It's just a front-end application intended to simplify the process.
Ah, was wondering that. Thanks :)
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

jrid, Boxer might have a keyboard re-mapping function available, similar to DOSBox. If this is the case, you should be able to remap the function keys to something else (like 1-=), or at least remap the F10 key since that's the one you want the most.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's