High Score Competition with patch

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

High Score Competition with patch

Post by Stealthy71088 »

So I've been thinking.....

The semi-official ck challenge has kinda died down. There have been multiple variations of death counter runs, and they have been interesting, but for the most part they've been just standard playthroughs.

I think this might be more interesting....

Lemm made a patch for ck 1-3 sometime ago that makes it so that if keen dies in a level, his score will be reset to what it was before he started the level. As a result, using the patch means that there is a finite number of points that can be gained in a playthrough, assuming you don't abuse the teleporter to the secret level. Here's the patch.

Code: Select all

#keen death A, reset score
%patch $427D $66 $81 $06 $E2 $6E $00 $08 $00 $00 $66 $A1 $00 $AF $66 $A3 $CA $AA $90 $90

#keen death B, reset score
%patch $42BB $66 $81 $06 $E2 $6E $00 $08 $00 $00 $66 $A1 $00 $AF $66 $A3 $CA $AA $90 $90

#level load, save temp score
%patch $4BAE $66 $A1 $CA $AA $66 $A3 $00 $AF $66 $33 $C0 $66 $A3 $35 $51 $66 $A3 $3E $56 $A3 $14 $5B $90
So I propose a new competition. Using this patch, we play through a keen trying to get as many points as possible. Currently, I don't think there's a galaxy or dreams version of the patch, which is unfortunate because a galaxy run would be a lot more exciting.

Rules:

-Play using the patch

-saving is only allowed to pause mid run if you want to take a break.
Otherwise, saving and reloading upon dying is not allowed.

-Levels that have multiple exits can only be completed once. After that, you can't reenter them.

-If you run a galaxy game, difficulty should be hard.

-Play until you reach a game over or you finish the game.

-No practice runs of particular levels allowed. HOWEVER, you are allowed to submit as many runs as you like, so if you think you can do better, try again! Happy

-Use of resources like the level maps on the keen wiki is allowed.

-You are allowed to use a level to farm free lives. Since the patch means that the lives won't be reflected in your score, I see no reason to disallow this.

-Obviously cheats aren't allowed.

-Impossible Pogo Trick is allowed and encouraged.

-Impossible bullet trick in keen 6 is allowed.
I think game play will be a lot more strategic now. Getting a high score will be a lot more high risk high reward. You'll have to weigh the huge score increase of the teddy bear with the risk losing your score for the level by running through the gauntlet of death traps.

I also think the competition will be a lot more competitive than the normal death run. In easier games like keen1, every point will count, which means people will have very close scores.

Anyway, Lemm, if you read this, could you PLEASE make a version of the patch for galaxy?

Edit:

For Keen 1 I got a score of 403300.

There's a total of 426700 in the game, and of that,
as far as I can tell, only 425200 is possible to get.

So I got 95% of the collectibles.

The run was almost flawless- I only messed up at the very end of the secret level.

Double Edit: The patch only works for keen 1... so I guess we'll just have to sit tight until someone can make one for the others.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

woo, started right away. I'm up to the green city, and only left 100 points behind so far.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

If you're referring in that one corner in the capital city, I missed that too.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I'm going to start a run now...

IIRC that lollipop in the far-left corner is unreachable.
Xarthok
Vortininja

Post by Xarthok »

Whatever happened to this? Seemed like a fun challenge!
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Feel free- I'll be happy to compete with you. These patches can also be applied to any of the K1-3 mods.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

you should disallow impossible bullet, using it you can finish ~4 levels in K6 with minimal effort.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Eros wrote:you should disallow impossible bullet, using it you can finish ~4 levels in K6 with minimal effort.
While that's true, its the score that matters, not level completion. To get a high score, you have to go everywhere and grab everything without dying, and the impossible bullet trick only helps with that so much. Shortcuts would only hurt your score.

Also, since everyone who enters can use the impossible bullet trick, it is still perfectly fair. And since it actually requires some skill to pull off- I have some trouble doing it sometimes- it seems a shame not to allow it.

Also there still isn't a patch in existence that resets the score for 4,5,6, so we can't really use Keen6 for this competition yet anyway.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: High Score Competition with patch

Post by troublesomekeen »

Stealthy71088 wrote:Anyway, Lemm, if you read this, could you PLEASE make a version of the patch for galaxy?
Ah, a patch like this for galaxy would be awesome--not only for competitions but for mod-making in general.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I played Galaxy by saving before entering a level.If I died,Reload,turned on no clipping, ran to the edge of the map,died,"Try again",save.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ah, a patch like this for galaxy would be awesome--not only for competitions but for mod-making in general.
Alas, all we have is this:

Code: Select all

#Reset Keen's score to 0 on dying (But not game over.)
%patch $66BB $C7 $06 $7A50W  $0000W  $90 $90 $90 $90 $90
%patch $672D $BF $0001W $C7 $06 $7A52W  $0000W  $90
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I got 407400 for Keen1 :)

For Keen4 I got 145500

Edit:

I got 927800 in Keen 5.

May these patches be used? :confused

#Keen can 'impossible bullet' in Keen 5
%patch $DD6C $0006W

#Keen can 'impossible bullet' in Keen 4
%patch $E63C $0F $00
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I suggest no: It's not the original game.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

The patch only works for keen1! >:
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I didn't know there were patches to put the impossible bullet bug into Keens 4 and 5!

More on topic though: I'd completely forgotten about this patch/competition. I think I'll try this sometime in the near future. Keen 1 is an easy enough game that trying to get All The Points shouldn't be too frustrating. Famous last words, I know, but I do intend to try this out.