Redefining Keys

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Redefining Keys

Post by MortimerInBlack »

So I just started playing Keen 1 again, and remembered that there is a help file you can get by pressing F1. So I'm reading it just for the hell of it, because I usually read the story and this help file is pretty obscure.

And not too far down it says: "You can redefine these keys by pressing F3".

My question is, has anyone ever done this? I'm solidly used to the CTRL to jump, ALT to pogo, and both to fire, but are there better schemes?
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

yes. I always do this using 'd' and 's' as CTRL and ALT keys. I have been doing this since windows started to place its damn windows key between ctrl and alt, ruining the fun.

Many of you know already that I always change the buttons, as I have been known to release a mod with changed controls, and I got feedback messages like "I can't enter any levels."
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

If we're talking about just when we play, I use one of three setups, depending on which game I'm playing. Only two ever come into play for Commander Keen.

For the Vorticon engine and games where only two keys do something other than movement, Z is for Jumping and X is for whatever the other action is.

For the Galaxy engine and games where I need three keys for three different purposes, Z is for Jumping, X is for the more frequently used action (in the case of the Galaxy engine, shooting), and C is for the less frequently used action (in the case of Galaxy, this is my Pogo).

For games where I'm pretending to have a SNES gamepad, Z is the left button, X is the bottom button, C is the right button, and V is the top button. Usually, this maps to Z being shoot, X being jump, C being the confirm button, and V being the menu button.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

MiB wrote:My question is, has anyone ever done this? I'm solidly used to the CTRL to jump, ALT to pogo, and both to fire, but are there better schemes?
Better scheme = patching it to support Space for firing.
daisy wrote:yes. I always do this using 'd' and 's' as CTRL and ALT keys. I have been doing this since windows started to place its damn windows key between ctrl and alt, ruining the fun.
Heh, I managed to overcome the Windows key thing pretty quickly back in the day. Alt+Space was what used to get me. These days I mostly play Keen in pure DOS or under Linux, neither of which has that problem.

I tend to change the keys for some other games, such as Tyrian (x = fire, zc = sidekicks, shift = rear weapon mode), and use a left-hand-side letter key combination for emulation (but usually if I'm doing that I'll attach a gamepad). But for Keen, it pretty much stays the same. I also prefer the classic configurations in Doom/Duke3D, while I get the impression that most people prefer a more modern mouse/keyboard combination.
Pokota wrote:X is for the more frequently used action (in the case of the Galaxy engine, shooting)
You shoot more than you pogo?
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Yea I understand the gripe about those windows keys, even tho I never use them (does anyone? I mean the start button is easily clickable, and even using the button u gotta move the mouse to the menu anyway, and that other button is just the equivalent to a right-mouse-click AFAIK)

If they get in the way, you can just pop them out. I don't think I ever mis-pressed those ones, however. But some keyboards have extra buttons, like sleep/wakeup, right above the arrow pad... Yes, the worst place to put extra buttons. I usually pop those out.

I figured someone would bring up the space rather than 2-button firing, but I am very used to the latter by now. Ah well.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I don't usually change the controls. Another good setting is z and x for ctrl and alt respectively.
I have been known to release a mod with changed controls, and I got feedback messages like "I can't enter any levels."
Lol.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

As far as I am concerned there is only one use for the windows key: to free the mouse from the dosbox window when I was playing Master of Magic. That is all.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

tulip wrote:As far as I am concerned there is only one use for the windows key: to free the mouse from the dosbox window when I was playing Master of Magic. That is all.
This. It's actually a really useful key, especially when playing on DosBox or any games that open a fullscreen window.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

MortimerInBlack wrote:I never use them (does anyone?
I do so, so often - on my netbook where the start menu is hidden for the sake of screen realestate, and because I'm a good typist wthin windows and avoid using the mouse when possible.

I've been tempted to change keys recently to avoid Ctrl+Alt+up/down/left/right, which flips the screen on some other people's computers when i get in a netkeen LAN.

As for the windows key getting in the way - I stopped hitting it when I was six simply with practice.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

I see. z and x for CTRL and ALT are good replacements, if you use the left CTRL and ALT buttons. I've always used the right ones. Now that I think about it, the left ones would be better since they give you easier access to the spacebar.

Additional question: if you regularly use CTRL and ALT, do you use the left ones or right ones?
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Left. The right set on my computer has two keys between them (WinKey and MenuKey).
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

If I play using a gamepad, I like Xpadder...essentially it substitutes keyboard keys for gamepad controls and even lets you substitute 2 keys for one gamepad button, so trading alt and ctrl pressed together for one gamepad button is possible.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Fleexy wrote:Left. The right set on my computer has two keys between them (WinKey and MenuKey).
Does anyone in the world actually use the MenuKey?
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I have pressed it (purposefully) ONCE. I have pressed it (accidentally) a lot.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Flaose wrote:
Fleexy wrote:Left. The right set on my computer has two keys between them (WinKey and MenuKey).
Does anyone in the world actually use the MenuKey?
It's useless unless you're missing your right mouse button. It's clumsy if you are right handed to let go of the mouse after pointing something to press that. Unless it has another use I haven't the foggiest.