Keen Upgrades/Downgrades thread

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Another packaging of version 1.4 of Keen 4: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/th ... 4bonus.zip

The main game files are byte-identical to normal version 1.4's, the difference is in the other files. This particular version came from the bonus Keen 4 disk that came with my Keen: Vorticons.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:Somebody know if that 1.4 patch for Keen 6 is legit or some fanmade hack? I didn't think that game ever made it beyond 1.0.

Edit - Same for Keen v1.34. Both Apogee and id are selling 1.31, so I don't think that one's quite legit.
This still bothers me. Anyone have an answer? It just seems odd for Apogee to sell 1.31 when there's a 1.34 out there. Kinda makes me frown.
CK Guy wrote:here
Thanks for that!
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

There's some information about Keen 1 version 1.34 on the old Public Commander Keen Forum.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:This still bothers me. Anyone have an answer? It just seems odd for Apogee to sell 1.31 when there's a 1.34 out there. Kinda makes me frown.
The reason Apogee still sells 1.31 is because 1.34 was specifically made for Precision Software. If you have tried this version, you will notice that all references to Apogee have been removed and replaced with a mention of Precision Software. Just as a side note, Precision Software published Keen: Vorticons in the UK.
IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:Somebody know if that 1.4 patch for Keen 6 is legit or some fanmade hack? I didn't think that game ever made it beyond 1.0.
This one I don't know for sure. I would find it quite strange how the other episodes which used the same engine would have received an update to 1.4 but Keen6 wouldn't. Besides, there's actually a v1.5 of that game as well. If these actually were fan made hacks, the one who made them had to be very talented as they do some quite major changes to the game.
NOP
Meep

Post by NOP »

Keen6 Patch 1.0 -> 1.5 (cracked only)

I noticed that the 1.0 -> 1.4/1.5 patches don't work for the (ahem) cracked version of keen6, so I made a quick patch that updates the cracked version of v1.0 that's floating around the internet to my cracked version of v1.5. It only updates the cracked version and does not work on original copies. This patch will not crack any legitimate version of keen6.

Don't ask me where to get any cracked versions (or any versions for that matter) of keen6. I won't help you.

If this sort of post isn't allowed on these boards, feel free to delete it. Just trying to contribute something. 8)
no.operation
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Nice. This'll come in handy.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Which version is the cracked one? The one without the "name this enemy" password thing?
marzsyndrome
Meep

Keen 5 EGA to CGA?

Post by marzsyndrome »

First off, hello to everyone here! :)

Now, I'd just thought I'd give my gratitude for there being so many version-changing patches available for the Keen series. I for one love collecting and seeing every iteration of a Keen game myself, hehe. However, it seems nobody's managed to come up with a top trump (for me at least) of patching the commonly-available EGA version of Keen 5 into the seemingly-rare-to-the-point-of-near-non-existence CGA version.

I know most people will be like "why you concerned about no CGA? EGA rules the roost dude!", but the matter here is that Keen 5 CGA is pretty much the only Keen-game-related thing I don't have. Apogee's FAQ seems to indicate that a CGA version *did* exist. Nobody here lucky enough to have gotten it (and could therefore use as a source for a patch) I take it?

Apart from that though, I'm content with everything else! Cheers.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I believe I've played CGA Keen 4 before, but I don't think I've ever even seen screenshots of Keen 5 in CGA. It may or may not actually exist, I'm not sure...
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

There's a screenshot of Keen 5 and 6 in CGA in the CGA version of Keen 4 in the help screen or order screen. Just press F1 and browse around.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I would, but I no longer have the CGA version of Keen 4...
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

http://www.bipship.com/keen+collective/ ... er+1.4+CGA

PS - Hello everyone, long time no see. :)
NOP
Meep

Post by NOP »

elecdude33 wrote:Which version is the cracked one? The one without the "name this enemy" password thing?
Yeah.

It's usually called keen6c.exe or something. Full release name is: Commander.Keen.6.Aliens.Ate.My.Baby.Sitter-SPLATTERKiNGS

I cracked version 1.5 myself. Like less than 15% of the bytes of the 1.0 release match the 1.5 version, simply because it's really a different executable with a different filesize. I just made it a patch so I wouldn't be handing you guys an illegal copy directly. ;P
no.operation
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

Hello guys... It seems that all links posted in this thread are broken already.

I am confused about files.commanderkeen.org - is the website down, or is there a problem with my connection? Whenever I try to access it, my browser tells me that the site does not exist.

Can anyone provide new, working links... or probably upload that big package of all patches by The CK Guy?

:)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hello, again! I'm not dead, I just haven't been Keening much lately.

Keeper, check out the 'keen collective' section under 'browse downloads' on my website. http://www.bipship.com/