Food is Keen GBC's graphics

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Bablet
Vortininja

Food is Keen GBC's graphics

Post by Bablet »

Everyone's pretty against GBC in general, and the graphics seem to be a particularly sensitive area, but I'd like to contribute my food related observation.

Am I the only one who thinks the Pogo stick looks like a pefectly golden cooked baguette? I saw it trying to find out if the ending was revealed anywhere, and I couldn't help but imagine Keen bouncing around on a loaf of french bread.

Or something horribly inapropriet
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I dunno about that, it may be because of the GBC colour limitations (I think it's something like 4 colours per sprite or so).
Anyway I don't think the graphics of KeenGBC ever were the problematic area. Most people don't like the level design and the controls. At least I personally like the KeenGBC graphics very much.
The only thing in KeemGBC graphics that has caused some discussions is that Keen suddenly wears a red shirt.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

tulip wrote:The only thing in KeemGBC graphics that has caused some discussions is that Keen suddenly wears a red shirt.
In my opinion it's weird for someone to wear the same shirt for 7 episodes. Either Billy has a big collection of purple shirts, or his mother never washes the shirt between his adventures. :stoned
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Grimson wrote:
tulip wrote:
In my opinion it's weird for someone to wear the same shirt for 7 episodes. Either Billy has a big collection of purple shirts, or his mother never washes the shirt between his adventures. :stoned
Well, keen 1-3 happen basically straight after each other. And then the same with keen 4-5.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Oops, I mean 6, he of course wore a pyjama in Dreams.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Grimson wrote: In my opinion it's weird for someone to wear the same shirt for 7 episodes. Either Billy has a big collection of purple shirts, or his mother never washes the shirt between his adventures. :stoned
Well no, she could easily wash them between adventures so he gets to wear them again.

I'm not keen on how the bounders look in GBC, or how stretched Keen looks.

Also (hi) Bablet, what other foody observations have you made? Besides the points etc.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I thought I remembered him having a white helmet in KeenGBC. I have the game but was too frustrated with the game to beat more than one level.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Grimson wrote:Oops, I mean 6, he of course wore a pyjama in Dreams.
That was a dream though. For all we know, Keen never wore pajamas. :pumpkeen

...wait, why do we now have two topics in two separate forums discussing Keen's clothes?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

RoboBlue wrote:
Grimson wrote:Oops, I mean 6, he of course wore a pyjama in Dreams.
That was a dream though. For all we know, Keen never wore pajamas. :pumpkeen

...wait, why do we now have two topics in two separate forums discussing Keen's clothes?
Because one is about his clothes and this one is about... food similarities?

I still want to konw what the other food similarities are!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

tulip wrote:The only thing in KeemGBC graphics that has caused some discussions is that Keen suddenly wears a red shirt.
And the fact he has SKIN! For some reason It's more offensive to people here to think of Keen as a person with a normal(ish) skin-tone than the bleached-white Arian-poster-boy of the DOS games...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

normal(ish) meaning caucasian and non-albino? ITS HORRIBLY OFFENSIVE!
Ganon wrote:IT BURNS!
kill it dead.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:normal(ish) meaning caucasian and non-albino? ITS HORRIBLY OFFENSIVE!
Ganon wrote:IT BURNS!
kill it dead.
Not even albinos have skin that white, whereas in Keen GBC at least it's a skin tone of sorts...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Sorry it took me a while to get on, and that I have so few comparisons to share but my time is limited due to techincal difficulties.

The hub makes me think of a small lake of pea soup with some little rectangles of squash, and those little round green guys do remind me of the peas from 3.5-Dreams. Since lunch seems to be everywhere, maybe Food was right?
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

You're hungry. Go have some lunch.
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:normal(ish) meaning caucasian and non-albino? ITS HORRIBLY OFFENSIVE!
Last edited by RoboBlue on Sun Oct 23, 2011 17:22, edited 1 time in total.