A tidbit about Keen GBC I stumbled across...

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

A tidbit about Keen GBC I stumbled across...

Post by Sciz CT »

Specifically, a part of this October 1999 interview with John Carmack.
Slashdot wrote: 6. thebrit asks:
Is it possible ID may join Ion Storm for a future project together , or are the 'artistic' differences between you too great ?

John Carmack Answers:
Future technology licensing is certainly possible, but as for actually working together, there is very little chance of that for a project that we considered important.

If I decided to spend a little discretionary time whipping up, say, a color gameboy port of Commander Keen (an idea I have sort of been toying with), then I might ask Tom and John if they wanted to make some levels for it.
Perhaps old news to some of you, but this is the first time I've heard it. It's a shame that Tom and Romero didn't end up doing anything for it; even level design would've been a big help.

It's an interesting interview anyway, as a look into the mind of Carmack and the questions people wanted to ask him nine years ago.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

"gameboy port of Commander Keen." >: I think Keen GBC went slightly beyond (read: below) being a port.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Interesting, I haven't noticed that one. But it sure would've been cool, Tom making some new levels... :drool Although, can't imagine any Keen game having additional levels.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

That is interesting. I don't know how much it has to do with the Keen GBC game that was actually released, though, since they're talking about a port rather than a new game.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

That was probably relating to Carmack's intent to do more with limited-memory coding, like his Doom RPG for cel phones and such. He'd talked about being interested in the cel phone market for a time... this may have been one of his early musings on the topic.

Or I could be totally wrong. :) *shrug*
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

This is sad, as I had always thought that the GBA would be the perfect system for a Keen 1-6 compilation. GBC would have been nice for 1-3.5, but may have had some issues with 4-6 (too many sprites/colors onscreen).