Numbers of Keen copies sold?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Numbers of Keen copies sold?

Post by Benvolio »

Hmm i was suddenly struck with a bolt of curiosity, and wondered: has anyone any idea of how many copies of the various Commander Keen games were sold in total over the years? And furthermore how many people would have played Keen1 or Keen4 back in the day (harder to keep count of)?

I tried to look for game charts but i could only find Japanese ones for that era, and no PC games were featured.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I think keen sold so well it earned

But nonetheless I'll be interested to know too.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Outside of unknown documentation....
Decart might say that if he played Keen, he'd be the only one he can be sure to have experienced it (outside experience possibly being illusionary). As anyone one else who he might encounter could be lying or imaginary.
Sooo yes just one person that I know of has certainly played or experienced the Keen games.
I haven't counted all the dudes who said played it either by buying or stealing it, or only playing the demos.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

guynietoren wrote:Outside of unknown documentation....
Decart might say that if he played Keen, he'd be the only one he can be sure to have experienced it (outside experience possibly being illusionary). As anyone one else who he might encounter could be lying or imaginary.
Sooo yes just one person that I know of has certainly played or experienced the Keen games.
Stop putting Descartes before De-Horse! :P
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Question... did every computer gamer back then play keen? I would think they would have at least known about keen?

Sadly there were not many computer gamers. Most were on that inferior nintendo as they didn't feel that it was worthwhile to invest in a computer.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I would think that the majority of computer gamers from the early 90's have played Keen in some form or another. Most likely the shareware version.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Scarlet wrote:Question... did every computer gamer back then play keen? I would think they would have at least known about keen?
Remember that this preceded the days of widespread internet - it would've spread much slower.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

That sounds like an interesting documentary, i'll give it a watch.
Kuliwil your point about internet being in its infancy is valid, but at the same time, think of all the LPs and books that sold in their millions before the internet - games can do likewise! One thing's for sure, Keen was heading in the direction of being massive but got swept under the carpet commercially :(
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

kuliwil wrote:
Scarlet wrote:Question... did every computer gamer back then play keen? I would think they would have at least known about keen?
Remember that this preceded the days of widespread internet - it would've spread much slower.
By the time internet became popular Keen was no longer something that would be popular in stores.

Do you even remember BUYING a keen game? I do. It was a different era. This was popular stuff, for us computer gamers at least.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

It's funny, I have no memory of where our copies of Keen came from. We had Keen 4 from the earliest time I can remember anything, but it was sometime a few years later that my dad somehow acquired the other episodes. It was only a year or so ago that I asked him how he got them (I assumed he'd bought them) and it turns out he'd gotten them for free. This was probably in '97 or thereabouts, and I think he said he got them on a floppy disk. Even stranger, they came with all these icons for each episode, most of which were Keen-related except for Keen 3's icon which was Earthworm Jim for some reason.