Suspicious Commander Keen releases.

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

That's definitely a bootleg copy.
ID Software made Keen Dreams exclusively for Gamer's Edge to complete their contractual obligation to Softdisk.
There were never any other distribution deals made that I am aware of.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Referring to that first post... the dude is still selling those copies. I bet he produces them himself and lists them every month.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

That Keen Dreams is probably just a shareware copy, which was widely available in the early-to-mid 90's. Of course, it probably doesn't follow the branding rules outlined in the vendor.doc file, but otherwise it's a fairly legitimate release (as far as these things go).
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Shador
Grunt

Post by Shador »

How can it be a shareware copy if it clearly states the $5.97 price on it? Or maybe I'm understanding the term wrong?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Flaose wrote:That Keen Dreams is probably just a shareware copy, which was widely available in the early-to-mid 90's. Of course, it probably doesn't follow the branding rules outlined in the vendor.doc file, but otherwise it's a fairly legitimate release (as far as these things go).
The Gamer's Edge disc IS the shareware copy!
Also, what Shador said. It would not be $6 bucks for a shareware game.
The whole point of shareware is that it's supposed to be free.

Another huge indicator for me that it's counterfeit is the whole "Apogee Presents" part. Apogee had NOTHING to do with Keen Dreams.
It was made by ID for Gamer's Edge for Softdisk. End of story.

This is fake. Try to get your money back, and report it to eBay.
Shador
Grunt

Post by Shador »

Thanks to you guys I haven't bought it this time. :)
Shador
Grunt

Post by Shador »

I have an updated picture of it. Actually it starts to look like a real thing.

Especially since I recalled I have seen shareware sold before, like this:

Which I believe is absolutely legit (sorry for big pictures but otherwise you won't be able to read this is $5 shareware).

So what do you think now? Still bootleg?
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Wiz technology was a publicly traded company. So it's a legit distributor, selling a large variety of software.

But... it's still hard to say if that company made that distribution or of someone else copied their info onto their box. They only sold CD's and started around 1995. So it's almost too late to be selling Keen stuff.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

If that $5.97 includes postage the seller may well not be swindling anything.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Shador
Grunt

Post by Shador »

Well, I've actually bought this. So if anyone knows some additional checks I could do them once it will arrive.
Shador
Grunt

Post by Shador »

guynietoren wrote:But... it's still hard to say if that company made that distribution or of someone else copied their info onto their box. They only sold CD's and started around 1995. So it's almost too late to be selling Keen stuff.
Are you speaking about this Canadian company, Andover West Group? If yes, how did you know they started around 1995? I wasn't able to find any info about them.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Shador wrote:
guynietoren wrote:But... it's still hard to say if that company made that distribution or of someone else copied their info onto their box. They only sold CD's and started around 1995. So it's almost too late to be selling Keen stuff.
Are you speaking about this Canadian company, Andover West Group? If yes, how did you know they started around 1995? I wasn't able to find any info about them.
I looked up Wiz Technology, AMEX WIZ.EC.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

There's simply no way any Keen Dreams copy that says "Apogee Presents" on it can be legitimate.
Shador
Grunt

Post by Shador »

guynietoren wrote:
Shador wrote:
I looked up Wiz Technology, AMEX WIZ.EC.
Oh, ok. But Wiz Technology has nothing to do with Keen, I've just shown a game from the company which is proofing shareware can be sold legally.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

"Non violent hand to hand combat"

...How? Hand to hand- meaning like, physical contact- Combat means fight! But- ...What?

^^Why I shouldn't attempt thought.
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.