Commander Keen 4 TAS in 10:28 on HARD

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Xarthok
Vortininja

Post by Xarthok »

There's really no cheating involved, it's not all impossible to do, just improbable. A lot of bugs were involved, too.
Come and try out over 6000 great free flash games at:
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Check out 4:15! That's virtually impossible- I tried for a long time to do that and I couldn't pull it off. There's only a couple of pixels of error, and if the slug stops part way through your finished. But apparently it can be done!

The Isle of Fire was really impressive too. Keen was mere pixels from death through almost the entire level. I spent a very long time trying to do something like that by hand. It's so much harder than it seems.

I need to get a hold of these tools to see what I can do with them. I'd love to see how a no shoot challenge would work with them. It could also be fun to fill all the levels with dopefish and abuse the tools.

The invincibility in the pit level isn't caused by the key going into the key holder. Keen can still die when he's inputting a key. It's actually caused by Keen going through the door. Keen is invincible every time he goes through a door for a couple seconds. I illustrated this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clteNsA7 ... ature=plcp

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weglyJdn ... ature=plcp

How long does it take to put one of these together?
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I find these sorts of tool-assisted runs a bit boring to watch, to be honest. It doesn't feel like there's a person on the other side.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Snortimer wrote:I find these sorts of tool-assisted runs a bit boring to watch, to be honest. It doesn't feel like there's a person on the other side.
... Because there kind of isn't.

I find these interesting because it show you some of the most efficient ways to beat the game.

It is slightly depressing, though, and these sort of take the fun out of authentic speedruns.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"