Does Bobby Prince plagiarize his work?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Does Bobby Prince plagiarize his work?

Post by -MegaTrip: »

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42, edited 2 times in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I dunno, it's kinda similar but not in an uncanny kind of way. On the other hand, he has been known to draw inspiration from outside sources elsewhere...
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42, edited 1 time in total.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

In response to the Bobby Prince plagiarism controversy, I would just like to say that the similarities to other songs, or "ripping off", was at the request of other people within the game's development, such as John Romero requesting Prince make an homage to Alice in Chains and Metallica for Doom.

He is a brilliant composer, and the majority of his work was very original and had a major impact on my childhood.

I'm getting pretty sick of how every reference to Bobby Prince around here is tagged this kind of slander.

This man wrote the soundtrack to some of our favorite games of all time, so it's high time you all start paying him due respect.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Last level of Keen 5 = famous classicl piece
Keen 4 track "Oasis" is similar to a track used in an episode of The Simpsons
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

DHeadshot wrote:Last level of Keen 5 = famous classicl piece
This was from "Mars" by Gustav Holst, part of his Planets Suite. Mostly likely aged out of copy write anyway.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Bobby Prince > Megadeth

Discuss.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Commander Spleen wrote:Bobby Prince > Megadeth

Discuss.
I still don't think Prince did anything wrong.
The riffs he took were done gracefully, and I'm sure there was some reason behind it. And like I said, he wrote enough great original works to make up for it.
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41, edited 1 time in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

-MegaTrip: wrote:In reality; Keen was running on pure adrenalin, drenched with blood and sweat. His eyes are glazed over, and everything seems unfocused and surreal. Mentally disassociated from the situation, he experiences almost no fear. He stands crookedly atop the QED, baiting the Shikadi mine to come closer. Thoughts of mom, dad, spot, his brother, becky, molly, school, are all swept aside. He's vaguely aware that this is because somehow, somewhere, he has subconciously prepared himself for this moment. Sometime ago, at an unspecified time, Commander Keen accepted death. He was brought into this world a genius...all to lead to this one conclusion. The ultimate sacrifice. The death of self. Defending the defenceless.
...The polar opposite to Mortimer? Why me?
Knowing that he couldn't allow himself to feel, Keen stops reflecting on his life. Not now. Not ever. Yet.. in the back of his mind....a naive boy struggles to lift a green alien into the cockpit of a ship. Everything was a game, back then. Nobody understood how he could build such things, but it was all so easy. Spot...he named the funny looking creature Spot. Was he really the same boy who had these adventures? Was he born to see all that he saw...only to die the martyr? This doesn't feel like him...it feels like someone else's life, so long ago...

The Shikadi mine is lighting up...a spike of instinctive fear stabs at Keen as for a second the entire world returns to a sharp focus. Everything is real again, and muscles that didn't exist a second ago are aching.These thoughts are almost secondary...because Commander Keen realizes he has just jumped, and is now plummeting off the side of the QED...
That was... Beautiful...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I second DHeadshot, but think it actually fits better with the start of the movement. It took me about 2 minutes 20 seconds to read with the music and it all seemed to fit better than at (the more famous) 4.31. (According to the tempo of the linked recording.)

The Planets Suite has always been one of my favourite piece of classical music - Bobby Prince knew what to rip off! :P (Parody maybe? Anyway, the thread title should be plagiarised others' works, not his own as seems to be implicated at the moment. Or I might be wrong.)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I bet I could find 100 famous musicians without issue that became known only by "plagiarizing" other peoples work, and maybe every major music act that has been around for more than ten songs, has copied one way or the other. calling it "plagiarizing" is the problem here, which is used here to subsum a whole hand full of musical techniques, that were much valued by an educated audience before copyright ruled the world.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

tulip wrote:I bet I could find 100 famous musicians without issue that became known only by "plagiarizing" other peoples work, and maybe every major music act that has been around for more than ten songs, has copied one way or the other. calling it "plagiarizing" is the problem here, which is used here to subsum a whole hand full of musical techniques, that were much valued by an educated audience before copyright ruled the world.
I could name several major artists who stole entire riffs and songs from other people. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Metallica have all done their fair share of plagiarism.

Heck, Stairway to Heaven itself stole its opening, and most memorable riff.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Poptart wrote:I still don't think Prince did anything wrong.
That's basically what I said. Grabbag is one of the best songs ever, and Megadeth themselves couldn't even do it right. Of course, that's probably because it's not just influenced by Megadeth, so their cover could be seen as an extraction of the parts they influenced.
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41, edited 1 time in total.