Oh, Sand Yego! NOW I get it! LOL!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Oh, Sand Yego! NOW I get it! LOL!

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Do yourself a favor and don't ask how long that took me to figure out ;)

I'm replaying Keen 4 on easy and I finally got to see the forbidden pyramid. Yay! (Ironically, the first time I played it was on hard mode). Gonna try to get to the secret level in Keen 5 once I've saved all the gnostican council dudes here :dopefish
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Heh. Best thread ever.

I was playing some Keen 4 myself today. I actually made a discovery that I probably should have known for a long time: You can walk through the slug slime when it is half-evaporated. :dopekeen Also, in case anyone was wondering the isle of fire is RIDICULOUS on difficult mode. Absolutely ridiculous.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Sand Yego? There's something to get? :confused
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Say it aloud... it's a spoof on San Diego, a city located in southern California in the United States (and, in an ironic twist of Keendom, where I live! Ha!)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hmm, so it is. I'd never have made that connection. I always just figured Yego was some obscure term for a castle or something. I made that assumption such a long time ago that I never thought to question it. :dopekeen
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

My mind = blown
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hehe. I've thought it might have something to do with that town, but I've never bothered thinking of saying the name aloud. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

I've always pronounced it Sand Yee-goh, which never really congealed into San Diego before. If it's really supposed to be pronounced Yay-goh, then this is definitely a new Easter Egg type surprise to me.
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Man, the well of wishes is totally BUTCHERED on easy mode :sick

There are only two dopefish, and they don't put up much of a chase at all :no
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

It's a pun on San Diego? I never knew that, but now that you mention it, it seems fairly obvious to me...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Why didn't anybody tell me you can't break the fuse in the Korath base on easy difficulty??!?!??!

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Korath_III_Base

Does that mean I don't get to see the secret ending... AGAIN?!?! Oh dear lord please dont tell me I have to start all over after coming all this way :dead

Also, due to breaking away to look up how to destroy that fuse, I just now discovered that you're allowed to save anytime, even in the middle of a level, instead of being restricted to saving in the central hub.
I can't believe this is for real :stunned
That makes this game about a hundred times easier :dopekeen
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Why didn't anybody tell me you can't break the fuse in the Korath base on easy difficulty??!?!??!
You actually can, and I have, but it's very rare. Just keep pogoing, you'll eventually get it.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Also, due to breaking away to look up how to destroy that fuse, I just now discovered that you're allowed to save anytime, even in the middle of a level, instead of being restricted to saving in the central hub.
You've been playing all these episodes without saving in the middle of levels? I'm impressed. :)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Okay, this is now officially the Belated Revelations thread. :dopefish

Until a couple of years ago, I thought the dart/knife throwers in Keen 4 were acid drippers. Only within that past few months I learned about the discrepancies in the point values of some items in Keen 3. At, as I mentioned above, I only *just* learned that you can walk on slug slime when it is half-evaporated.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hehe, have to say I'm impressed how you still could be without knowledge of that slug slime, after all these years. :D :slug

Hm, there's probably something I haven't discovered until this year, too... Funny how these things still keep popping up. But can't think of any now.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.