Oh, Sand Yego! NOW I get it! LOL!

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I always thought that the fuse was just glitchy, as I've had trouble smashing it on several difficulties. Getting back to Sand Yego, does "Yego" actually mean anything, or is it solely there for the sake of the pun?
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I'm pretty sure that Yego is just there for the pun on Diego. I'm not sure if Keen's developers had the resources to make two-pronged puns. :disguised
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I've often had trouble smashing that fuse as well. I don't know what's up with it, it's probably some sort of hit detection problem or something I guess.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Huh, I've always found it to be quite consistent. That is, I can't break it at all on easy, and I can always break it on the first pogo in normal and hard. I'll have to go check this out, compare different versions, etc....

Okay, here we go:

Version 1.0 - Easy: game crashes after a few seconds in Korath from the goplat bug. Normal, Difficult: fuse breaks right away when pogoing on it.

Version 1.4 - Easy: I got the fuse to break after pogoing on it constantly for about a minute. Normal, Difficult: again, fuse breaks normally.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

I wonder if besides the pun, there is anything in the level that refers to San Diego? I've never been to U.S.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

CK Guy wrote:Version 1.4 - Easy: I got the fuse to break after pogoing on it constantly for about a minute. Normal, Difficult: again, fuse breaks normally.
Awesome, this is new info to me! I thought it was unbreakable! Gotta try this one myself today. Funny how I just said in some topic that it's interesting how one can still find new things after all these years...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Funny how you forgot it was actually this topic. :dopekeen
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol So it seems! :o
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

game crashes after a few seconds in Korath from the goplat bug.
-CK Guy

what is the goplat bug? (i sense a major revelation coming my way too!)
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

MortimerInBlack wrote:
game crashes after a few seconds in Korath from the goplat bug.
-CK Guy

what is the goplat bug? (i sense a major revelation coming my way too!)
When you play Korath III Secret Base on Easy in version 1.0, the game crashes after a few seconds with an error message something like 'error: goplat moved to bad spot.' GoPlats are the moving platforms that don't move back and forth between two points, but rather follow some more complicated path. IIRC, this bug is caused by a goplat moving into the same cell as another platform which is only present in easy mode.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Shadow Master wrote:I wonder if besides the pun, there is anything in the level that refers to San Diego? I've never been to U.S.
There's that one place in San Diego with the towers of sand that have evil walking rocks on top. That might be a reference.

Seriously though, I've only been to San Diego a few times, and I wouldn't be able to say one way or another whether there's any intended references in the level.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I remember the Goplat bug. It's annoying, since I often play on easy mode...
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

elecdude33 wrote:I remember the Goplat bug. It's annoying, since I often play on easy mode...
Well, you should probably upgrade to 1.4, ;)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I finally beat Keens 4 & 5 in Normal mode and broke the fuse! Whew! The changed ending didn't feel all that rewarding though. I must be getting better at this SGA stuff. I'm able to read mort's letter faster every time.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Why didn't anybody tell me you can't break the fuse in the Korath base on easy difficulty??!?!??!

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Korath_III_Base

Does that mean I don't get to see the secret ending... AGAIN?!?! Oh dear lord please dont tell me I have to start all over after coming all this way :dead

Also, due to breaking away to look up how to destroy that fuse, I just now discovered that you're allowed to save anytime, even in the middle of a level, instead of being restricted to saving in the central hub.
I can't believe this is for real :stunned
That makes this game about a hundred times easier :dopekeen
Hmm... I was always able to break the fuse, even under easy mode... :huh
Wow look at me I'm lurking