The Atmosphere of Commander Keen (Over The Top & Otherwi

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

And it's not fancy, pretty snow either. It falls silent and steadily, as you are questioning your life you hear a lone car scrunching through the unplowed streets.
It doesn't snow here. But I've found wandering this developing neighbourhood during a full moon generates a similar atmosphere to that Keen 4 story screen, especially when there's a thin layer of glowing cloud. Such nights have actually helped inspire a lot of OrbKeen's style, escpecially during times of construction, when sections of land are fenced off and streets are carved out, gradually paved and lit up with new street lamps over successive weeks. Their increasing level of public access gives me a strange detached sense of accomplishment, but also reminds me that it's getting pretty crowded on this hill. I could almost imagine the ensuing homes turning into big "DONE" squares as their construction is completed. Keen has been left to us as a half finished street. I wish the streets in my neighbourhood were still half finished. At least there are still some empty blocks scattered around, but once the one behind me fills up and obscures the ocean view, it'll be time to move somewhere a bit more remote.

WHAT THE FUCL AM I WRITING