List of all Commander Keen Speedruns

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

That slug pass-through on Pyramid of Shadows is really scary, too, because if it poops while I'm doing that I run out of invincibility and die then and there. It's a very tense run in general.

And yeah there are some errors, although nothing incredibly noticeable unless you're used to the run. I imagine anything you spotted involved either enemy waits (which itself I wouldn't consider an error) or lazy jumps (which I would). I'd guess at about five seconds of poor handling in general (and maybe another five if we're talking perfect execution), a couple seconds more in sub-optimal route, and a few seconds from bad oracle-dude luck. Something along those lines.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Timing is nice, but what I notice most are places where you almost get something but miss and have to try again, There are very few of these moments in that latest speedrun. Very few indeed.

Fleexy wrote:Door invincibility, probably. (Going through doors grants a few seconds of immortality to prevent immediate death by appearing right on an enemy.)
Keen is initially invincible when he exits doors (and when he enters them 'behind' enemies.) The game only checks the collision of an enemy when it changes or when something starts\stops touching it. So if Keen appears on a slug, it checks, and does nothing, then doesn't check again until the slug does something like slime.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Managed a sub-11 minutes in Keen1 100%!

Keen1 100% 10:58

Unfortunately it's not a great-looking run, as there's a mistake in most levels somewhere along the way. In spite of them, however, this is still a very solid speedrun overall: it beats Xarthok's old 11:33 time by quite the margin. 10:30 may be a possible time, but my best splits only add up to 10:34, so it'd take a lot to get a killer run in. I hope this is still a good watch, though.

I'll get back into some mod running, but I'm looking at 100%/glitchless runs again, see if I can't pick those up soon enough. Keen6 is coming along with an easy sub14 (and on Hard to boot).
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Trimming the fat TO THE BONE!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

What about Keen 1 100% all points? :p
I just finished with some speedrunning myself.
Shaved my Gourmet Race Courses to
Course 1 = 00:20:04
Course 2 = 00:32:25
Course 3 = 00:42:05
all of which are faster than the times listed here:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/KirbySuperStar.html
But I has no video to prove it! :dead
Still room for improvement. Oh wait. Wrong game. :o
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

troublesomekeen wrote:What about Keen 1 100% all points? :p
I once got a 'speedrun' of that (no deaths) that clocked in to a little under an hour...
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Keen6 glitchless% (hard difficulty) 13:43

Too many runs were sub-14 and then died on the second-last or last level. This one didn't, so hooray! I hope you guys can appreciate the strict timing in Bloogton Tower, that level was an absolute pain to route. And sure there are small mistakes here and there (a full half-minute, if my best splits are to be believed) but I believe this to be a very solid run of the game, so it'll stay put for a long time.

Going to look into Keen4 100%, and then possibly Keen4 glitchless 100% to spice it up further. Then Keen3, both any% (because I'd like to solidly hold the record there) and 100%. There's a good chance I'll sprinkle a mod or two in-between, as well.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Do you never stop? What powers this eternal engine of damnation?
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

It's been a few days, hasn't it!

Keen3 any% 1:53
Keen3 100% 17:16
Keen4 100% 17:49
(EDIT: Fixed link pointers, thanks DHeadshot.)

The 100%s aren't all that amazing or anything, but they should be a good show regardless. And in my humble (but researched) opinion, the Keen4 100% with glitches fares better than glitchless. Isle of Tar and Slug Village would both be incredibly boring to watch if not skipped, Chasm of Chills is just a toss-up between lots of careful jumps and a glitch otherwise never seen in a run, and Sand Yego misses out on the only appearance of an Arachnut if done normally. (Besides, Pyramid of the Forbidden is what you all came to see, so hopefully that part doesn't disappoint too much.)
Levellass wrote:Do you never stop? What powers this eternal engine of damnation?
Well I still got Keen2 100% to figure out (and any% to improve since I'll be doing exactly the same levels anyway) and I have Keen6 glitchless to redo because it's not truly glitchless and I want to fix that. I've also routed Keen Dreams 100% which has only three levels that are completely skipped with the death glitch and another two that do so in a more interesting manner. It oughta be fun.

And I dunno, I'm just compelled to speedrun these games. It's my hobby.
Last edited by CapnClever on Tue May 13, 2014 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Your links are the wrong way around - the Keen4 link points to the Keen3 run and vice versa. Also, if the Keen4 run was on hard mode, you've also beaten Grimson's record for Pyramid of the Forbidden!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

DHeadshot wrote:Also, if the Keen4 run was on hard mode, you've also beaten Grimson's record for Pyramid of the Forbidden!
That Keen4 run was on Normal, but CapnClever navigates the menu so fast it's hard to tell. :p But, of course, just by watching one can tell it's on normal (darts, only one dopefish at the end of well of wishes, etc etc..)
Such greatness, CapnClever. I love to watch these!
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Keen Dreams 100% 5:32
Keen6 glitchless% (for real this time) 13:48

Yeah I've been slowing down a bit, mostly because I'm focusing on longer runs, so they take longer to get good. Keen2 100% is still in the works but my current PB is 11:00 (hoping for sub 10:30-ish).

With regards to the runs in this post, Keen Dreams 100% is fantastic in that it's less than a minute longer than the any%. This is accomplished by picking up Boobus Bombs in levels other than Spud City, barely losing time from doing so while skipping the entirety of Spud City in the process. And Keen6, well, I got rid of the old Bloogfoods skip, so I can call it glitchless completely and utterly. Also it's a good 20-25 seconds optimized over the old one.

EDIT: Lemme just sneak this extra one in.

Lego Keen any% 5:58

Only needed about three hours for this one. It's not THAT good, but I want to take a slightly laxer stance on mods anyway. The official games are wearing me out! :dead
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

This is worth the double-post:

XkyKeen3 100% 8:33

Oh my garg this run. I finally got a good time on this run!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Absolutely with the post! You've done it again, Cap! Bravo!
Ahh... the endings to these mods are so classic. Lego Keen really hits the old funny bone.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Keen Smile any% 28:44

BTW I'm aiming for sub-25, I just wanted to show you guys that, yes, I am speedrunning this. No saves or nothin'!