List of all Commander Keen Speedruns

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Finally got in a good (read: sub-10:30) time on Keen4! Not a new record, but it's also nearly-raw quality so at least it looks nice:

Keen 4 any% 10:27 (technically 10:26 by frame-count but whatever)

I'm actually going to work on Keen Dreams this weekend (as per DHeadshot's suggestion because it wouldn't be a complete collection without it), although it's a really simple run so I hope to be done with a decent time as early as tomorrow. THEN I'll move onto mods, I promise. Commander Keen GBC won't happen just because I lack the available game to run it, although I may play around with an emulated copy and see if it's worth it in the future.

As a handy reference (both for myself and others) I built a little playlist for all my any% runs, which you can find here. It's not all of the record runs (those aren't necessarily on YouTube in raw-like quality) but maybe one day it can be! :o

EDIT: Okay got a good time in Keen Dreams. That only took about four hours, not bad.

Keen Dreams any% 4:47

And with THAT I am done with most of the official Keen games for a bit. I might do like, Keen1/3/4 an hour a day to stay in shape (and possibly a better time) but now I'll start looking into some of the mods we discussed earlier. Apologies in advance if I break them more than is appreciated.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

I figure this is worth the double-post:

Yorphius II DX any% 3:24

Couldn't really find anything to break, just a lot of tough jumps. The Mortibot at the end can be run through from the right while he's shooting, although that could technically exist in Keen1 bots and we'd never know since they shoot at you rather than above.

So anyway, now you know I'm at least semi-serious about running some mods. I have a couple more planned that were mentioned, but please, let me know if there are any others you think would be a good show!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks a lot! :) It was great to see this one!

Oh, and the Mortibot is definitely killing you in the original mod -- it seems tulip has made a small mistake with this one by increasing the sprite height. Heh.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Not my mistake, it has been this way since the "legal" version of the mod by stealthy and lass. I did forget adding the outline on the dead vorticon sprite though.

Also nice effort. Was really fun to watch. Not flawless, but definetly fast.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, ok. Their fault then. The illegal original has it all good. :evil
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

KeenRush wrote:Ah, ok. Their fault then. The illegal original has it all good. :evil
Actually, i changed that on purpose. Why? Because I hate that stupid bot. Hate hate hate. So I put a chink in its armor.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Figures I got both of these on the same day, I wish my good runs were spread out more:

Keen1 any% 3:51
Keen Episode X (XkyKeen1) any% 3:05

I've also played XkyKeens 2 and 3, both of which are pretty good as well. I HAVE played through Episode Smile, and it's pretty evil, but I'm planning on making a "runthrough" of it. Not necessarily a great run, but it'll be something. After a couple more Vorticons mods I'll check out a Galaxy one: I'm trying to balance out between Vorticons and Galaxy based on the number of available mods, which is why my focus has been on the former thus far.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Loved the XK1 run. Never thought of playing the mod like that.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Impressive to say the least. I didn't know Keen X could be beaten in about 3 minutes.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Not gonna lie, the second-to-last level with the garg chase? Poetry.
CapnClever
Vortininja

Post by CapnClever »

Keen4 any% 10:19

Probably doesn't look any different from the old record but man it felt good to get that time. I think I'm going to work on Eight Accumulators next as a run, might do both easy and normal and see which one's more interesting.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I always like to see the tiny differences, the places where a jump that was mistimed is tackled correctly say. (I've seen a few such things in your mod playthroughs, probably because less effort went into them than these 'official' ones.)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

CapnClever wrote:Keen4 any% 10:19

Probably doesn't look any different from the old record but man it felt good to get that time. I think I'm going to work on Eight Accumulators next as a run, might do both easy and normal and see which one's more interesting.
I saw some errors(or could have been stalling for enemy movement) but was confused at 4:14 when you walked through a slug, or at least it seemed so.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Door invincibility, probably. (Going through doors grants a few seconds of immortality to prevent immediate death by appearing right on an enemy.)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Ah ok. I heard of that but, didn't understand it fully. Thanks.