Keen 4 keygem problem

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
YougnMan
Grunt

Keen 4 keygem problem

Post by YougnMan »

I am having a problem in Keen 4. After I find a keygem, I save the game. Later, when I accidentally hit an enemy, I reload the game from the last save point. However, all the keygems that I had when I saved before are no longer in my information window. This happens in any level. What’s up with that? Also, I have tried this scenario in all the other Keen games, including the unofficial games, and everything works fine. Keen 4 is the only game with this glitch.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

What version of Keen 4 are you using? I think there's some weird version of Keen 6 out there that has a similar problem.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Version 1.0 of Keen 4 has this bug. Version 1.0 of Keen 5 and 6 do not have it IIRC.

The simple solution is to get a newer version of Keen 4. Since Keen 4 is free this isn't even technically illegal :O
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'm curious: Where did you get that copy of the game from?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
YougnMan
Grunt

Post by YougnMan »

Fleexy wrote:What version of Keen 4 are you using? I think there's some weird version of Keen 6 out there that has a similar problem.
I'm using version 1.0
YougnMan
Grunt

Post by YougnMan »

Fleexy wrote:What version of Keen 4 are you using? I think there's some weird version of Keen 6 out there that has a similar problem.
I actually did some more digging and found version 1.4, and the problem is fixed. Thanks!
YougnMan
Grunt

Post by YougnMan »

ckguy wrote:Version 1.0 of Keen 4 has this bug. Version 1.0 of Keen 5 and 6 do not have it IIRC.

The simple solution is to get a newer version of Keen 4. Since Keen 4 is free this isn't even technically illegal :O
I actually did some more digging and found version 1.4, and the problem is fixed. Thanks!
YougnMan
Grunt

Post by YougnMan »

Keening_Product wrote:I'm curious: Where did you get that copy of the game from?
My dad had it on his old computer from the late 1990s. He found it on a local bulletin board.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

whoao, there is an "Edit post" button, you know, no need to quadruple post.
Image You crack me up little buddy!