Who's that guy standing behind Billy at the end of Keen 4?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Who's that guy standing behind Billy at the end of Keen 4?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

At the end of Keen 4, when Billy and the gnostican council are gathered around the oracle of wisdom (or whatever its called), there's this mysterious character standing behind Billy. He has gray skin, wears a yellow cloak, and has a black helmet with a red O on it. He doesn't say or do anything. He's just there. Who is this guy, and what does he have anything to do with the story?

And to touch on yet another insignificant inconsistency, they activate the oracle by flipping a big lever sticking out of it. This was for comedic purposes of course, but if the oracle chamber could be activated just by pulling a switch, did Billy really NEED to save all those council guys? Couldn't he figure out how to do it by himself?
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

the guy in yellow is a council page just press F1 in the main menu and go to the story

and maybe only high council members can flip the switch
(i used to be ME!)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Errrr yeah..... I guess I should've done more research before making a topic :o
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Perhaps the Oracle's security system is sufficiently advanced, and thus is indistinguishable from magic.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

And if that oracle stone thing is what ultimately gives Keen information, maybe the Shikadi should have destroyed the oracle instead of kidnapping the council guys? The council guys are immortal and can't be killed, so maybe the big oracle is indestructible and/or can't be moved from it's chamber (it's pretty big, after all).

And this is way OT, but who is Commander Keen's brother? It's his BROTHER's football helmet, right? But we've never seen him in the entirety of the games. Maybe he moved out or went to college or something. It's pretty obvious that his background involves having been a football player at one point, and that's all we know about him.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, actually the only thing we know about his brother is that he has a football helmet. :) But as the helmet is so big, it's assumed it's an older brothers', and old enough to be in college or have moved out or whatever, and so on.

And also, Mortimer might have some further use for Oracle, it being a monolith of ancient wisdom. No need to destroy it yet. ;)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

If Keen had a radio transmitter that picked up the shikadi conversation, couldn't he have gone out on a limb and flew in the general direction the signal was coming from? I mean, if he was able to locate Vorticon VI without any directions, surely the location of the armageddon machine could have been guestimated without some all-seeing monolith's help.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Well, Keen probably could have located Vorticon VI much more easily, since he knew the specific planet and could have maybe tapped into some kind of star chart or something. At that point, he didn't know at all where the Omegamatic was. And it's possible that, with phototachyon transception technology, it's difficult if not impossible to locate the origin of incoming phototachyons or whatever.

All just theories here. :)
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

You need more than one receriver picking up a signal in order to trinagulate the location of the source.

And just because his bro has a football helmit does not mean he plays football. Didn't tom say that his brother got one for Christmas as a gift?
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Well, it IS a Green Bay Packers helmet, so either Keen's older brother is an all-American football hero or, seemingly more likely, he got it as a gift or some such.

Then again, his father is a famous TV personality, so who knows?
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Then again, his father is a famous TV personality, so who knows?
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but that was only said by iD after the fact, and not within the in-game story nor anything Tom Hall said. So I think his Dad could be anything.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

But wasn't Tom involved in Wolfenstein too, some way? He might have had influence on that.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

He was, yes. He is credited in the game's credits screen as "Creative Director."
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Stop trying to find plot inconsistencies, they're far from important in a game like Keen. ;)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Well no1 said they were important. I like to find them cuz they're just interesting.